Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Amusing typose

Author Topic: Amusing typose
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever been rereading your work and you see something that, between your buttery fingers and MS Word's annoying auto-correct feature, turns into something amusing?

Today I read the following sentence buried deep within my novel:

"She hung up the phone and looked back at her computer scream."

I meant screen, of course.

Anyone else have amusing typos you want to share?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I made one over in F&F on MikeMunsil's Character Challenge.

I meant to write THINKING, but I missed the "K" so it came out THINING. Mike picked it up and made a comment about THINNING !

Ahh, the English language!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a good laugh over a mistake someone made on a sign at the hospital I used to work at.
We had just survived Hurricane Isabel and the water was turned off by the city due to a failure at the water treatment plant. Hence, no public bathrooms that worked in the building. One of the Execs typed up a flyer that was supposed to say "Public bathrooms closed, please use port-a-potties outside." instead it said "Pubic bathrooms closed, please use port-a-potties outside." All of the signs had been posted before anyone figured it out. Of course we were all running on straight coffee and donuts by that time, so I guess we have an excuse.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, these aren't in English, but they're still in the spirit of the thing...

Chevy had trouble marketing their Nova in Mexico, not understanding that "No va" means "It won't go" in Spanish.

Braniff was extolling the virtues of "flying in leather", but their translation came out "Fly naked!". The Mexican government was not amused.

And, not a typo, more like a HUGE FOOT IN THE MOUTH, but I was in Mexico a while back inspecting a laboratory to ensure that the methods and materials they used would meet my needs. I was particularly worried that they wouldn't have the correct preserving acid in the sample bottles, so I kept hammering away at the [female] lab manager, asking her if she had any "preservativo". She wouldn't answer and had a real funny look on her face, then her expression cleared and she asked if I was talking about "conservativo" instead. It turned out that although "preservativo" means preservative elsewhere, in Mexico it means "condom".

Oh, well.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 02, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Newsbys,

One of my Tech Writing profs told a story about how he had worked on a group project for a government document once. It was some sort of report that was going to be distributed and the public/pubic thing was missed by everyone and it wasn't until it was published and distributed (one to every home in the province ) that someone on the team noticed it. Nobody else ever commented on it so the team figured they'd dodged a bullet.

I used to have a list of all kinds of signs from around the world that had been poorly translated into English.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Chevy had trouble marketing their Nova in
> Mexico, not understanding that "No va"
> means "It won't go" in Spanish.

Not that I blame anyone for spreading this, because I used to believe it was true, too. But it's not: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
First he's wreaking havoc on the bladders of the easily startled, now he's smashing our favorite urban legends.

What will Eric do next?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Eric, now you've gone and debunked one of my favorite Marketing class tales! So sad, another myth bites the dust. Sniff.

There were other examples, and I honestly don't know how accurate they are either, but they are funny as hell. One was about Pepsi, who went into China with the slogan, "Pepsi -It gets you going" or something of the sort. The unfortunate Chinese translation came out to be, "Drink Pepsi - It makes your ancestors rise from the grave."

Another was in Thailand, where they use pictures on packaging to indicate what the contents are (that much is true). Supposedly, when Gerber went into that market with pictures of chubby, happy babies on their jars...well, you get the picture.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
So....how well did Gerber sell in Thailand?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think that anyone who sees a baby picture on the front of a food jar will think anything other than it is baby food. It is only funny to those who assume that anyone not from the "great" civilised countries are still barbarians.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gerber one is legend, too.
http://www.snopes.com/business/market/babyfood.asp

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

BTW, Snopes.com is an invaluable resource for finding out about urban legends, internet rumours, etc.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
With "barbarians" it helps if you prime the pump.

One anthropologist studying the Yananamo got tired of them always stealing his stuff, so he started telling them lies about how peanut butter was made. Whether they believed him at the time isn't clear (though it did keep them from stealing his peanut butter), but in any case their reaction to later physical anthropological studies involving the collection of stool samples...well, let's just say that there is no behavior so strange that members of the human race won't accuse other humans of indulging in such things.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention your list, Robyn. I was surprised to see that they have books on the topic.

My brother has a book called - National Lampoons Totally True Facts.
The book contains pictures of signs and marquees with errors on them. It also contains reprints of ads and newspaper articles that got flubbed somehow. They claim they are all real and are sent in by average folks for inclusion in the book.
I'll admit it is pretty funny stuff.
Some of the ads are so weird you can't help but laugh.
The only one I can remember is an ad with a French poodle's picture. The ad reads:

"You finding Ling Ling's head. Ling Ling very good dog. Very much want head back."

I can’t understand exactly why that is so funny to me. I'm an animal lover and it is very sad that Ling Ling lost her head. I guess it makes me wonder about the story behind it. Poor Ling Ling. I wonder if they ever found it?

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited September 03, 2004).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

http://www.serve.com/shea/mistakes.htm

I just found this site which has some amusing literary mistakes.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working for Tears of Joy Theatre in Washington that had two really great typos. For a Christmas production called "Toybox," they sent out a press release with the headline, "Enjoy a Toyboy for the Holidays."

For an NEA (National Endowment for the Arts) grant they mistyped their name as Rears of Joy.

And finally, one of the best pieces of revenge I ever saw was at the same theater. A disgruntled employee went into the artistic director's bio and deleted one zero. His new bio read, "Over the past twenty years, Mr. Bradly has directed over 4 productions." Oooo. So many.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Eric. That site pretty much de-bunked my favorite legend. Joanie loves Chachi. It was supposed to be the all-time highest rated TV premier in Korea, because Chachi is supposed to be slang for male genetalia.
Oh well, I will find another unproven story to talk about. That site is pretty cool!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
At least "Bite the wax tadpole" isn't entirely false.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a school meeting today at a local high school. They had a sign up that said:

Welcome Freshman

I wonder which freshman they are welcoming? Won't the others be upset?

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I once wrote about a character who, after sitting down, "placed one foot on the opposite knee." I decided that it would be better if he had both feet flat on the floor, but in editing, I messed up. I wound up with: "He place both feet on the opposite knee."

The funniest compilation of errors and related items I have ever seen is Richard Lederer's Anguished English. From headlines like "Iraqi Head Seeks Arms" to student mistakes like "Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot clipper," this book is a riot. Lots of things I've seen floating around the internet are taken from this book.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a bumper sticker that announced the driver as an "Honor Roll Parent". Didn't know parents had an honor roll.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scapegoat
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Scapegoat   Email Scapegoat         Edit/Delete Post 
A childish prank at our local drive-in for some reason struck me as very amusing. Some person changed the marquee for Legally Blonde. They moved a couple of letters and for three days the sign advertised showings of 'illegaly boned'. I often wondered how that might of changed their audience...
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
From the local paper: "The suspect vehicle was stopped a short time later and arrested."

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a teacher who had a picture of a McDonald's sign that said "Now hiring all S***s"(supposed to be Shifts.) underneath it he wrote 'Justification for higher education'

There was a Bible once that said "Thou shalt commit adultery."

The absolute funniest I've seen was on a "365 of the stupedest things ever said." It's too long to post here but it was two articles mixed together. One about a Pastor receiving a gift from his congregation and the other about a new pig slaughtering machine.

And personally I once wrote Dissapated on an assignment for school and the spell check turned it into Decapatated. The teacher even complemented me on my word usage.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was a Bible once that said "Thou shalt commit adultery."

One of the characters in Pratchett/Gaiman's "Good Omens" collected bibles with misprints. It turned out that he had arranged this one by bribing the printer...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That would probably be the best way to get one, since there are only 11 remaining copies of the so called "Wicked Bible" of 1631 printed by Robert Barker for King Charles (the king wasn't amused, Robert Barker was fined a lifetime's wages, and the bibles were ordered destroyed).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic hasn't quite died off the rack, yet, and since I'm new, I thought I'd share one:

http://www.engrish.com

Some of you may not care for the occasional off-color language and commentary at this site.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited October 01, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.