Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writer's Conferences

Author Topic: Writer's Conferences
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be the wrong forum for this one but I thought I'd put it out anyway, and Kathleen can delete if it supposed to be elsewhere.

I'm going to the AML writer's conference tomorrow and I've been one time to this same conference before. I learned a lot the last time I went but my biggest problem was I felt completely intimidated by all the industry people there. I'm not an outgoing or gregarious person by nature so I usually watch more than I talk. My other problem is I have nothing completed that I feel I could go up to an editor/agent to talk to about. But I would really like to start networking.

Any suggestions on doing writer's conferences? Do I have to have something complete in order to talk to an agent or editor?

I'm going by myself (my best friend couldn't afford the entrance fee) so any suggestions on how to be brave would be helpful.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Whitney, I wish I'd seen this before the conference.

How did things go for you?

I hope it was a good experience, even if you didn't dare say anything to any one.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh! I wanted to go so badly this weekend but I ended up getting sick. I would have at least garnered the courage to say hi to you, Kathleen. I heard that it was a great conference, and that you met one of our fellow Hatrackers. We'll have to chat about the art of writer's conference next year I guess.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What a disappointment, Whitney. I'm sorry you were sick.

I managed to twist my ankle after it was all over. I was running through a parking lot and hit a bad patch of asphalt. I went forward but my ankle went sideways. It wasn't sprained, but it sure has some lovely bruises now.

Ah, well.

It was great to meet djvdakota there. That was a particular treat. I wish we could have had more of a chance to talk.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. Sorry I disappeared so quickly. I had to drive to Bear Lake that night and didn't want to have to drive through Logan Canyon after dark.

Another time, I hope?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

We'll have to figure something out.

There's the BYU SF symposium, which will be at BYU Feb 17-19, and CONduit, which will be in Salt Lake City May 27, 28.

I think AML is having their annual meeting, where scholarly papers are presented, around the beginning of March.

So there are possibilities (and maybe I'll just come up your way sometime or you'll come down my way).

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 21, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.