Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is hell filled with all the...

Author Topic: Is hell filled with all the...
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Do writers go to a special hell where all of their poor characters they slaughter, torture, rend, break, and crush physically, financially, and emotionally so they can can get a better review, await them to meet out their own versions of justice?

The things I have done to my characters!

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
If that is true, I am doomed! "Mr. Beelzebub, I'll need the suit-o-flame in a tall, please!"
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really been able to get into this kind of thing. That and "What would your characters say to you if they met you walking down the street?", which seems to a a perennial writer's favorite.

I never feel like I'm doing things to my characters. I never feel like I'm in the story at all. I'm telling the story. It's already happened. I just have to find the words and events that fit the story I already know.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it's based on a true story, in which you are the real-life antagonist, than remember it's all make believe...

Oh... excuse me... I'm getting a call from a Mr. Scott Landon....

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found an easy solution to this problem: send my characters to Heaven when they die. If I end up in Hell, they won't be there to torture me, and if I go to Heaven, they won't be allowed to.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the hardest part of writing is torturing my characters. I tend to like them and don't want to cause them pain. Of course, without the pain and suffering...the stories can be boring.

Anyways, maybe they will all thank you if they one day find themselves on a bookshelf somewhere.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the exact opposite to be true for me. I'm always coming up with new and usually gruesome ways to torture my characters, and have to constantly ask myself if it'll advance the plot or not. If it doesn't, I throw it in a torture file, to save for another story.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do writers go to a special hell where all of their poor characters they slaughter, torture, rend, break, and crush physically, financially, and emotionally so they can can get a better review, await them to meet out their own versions of justice?

Sounds like a story you should write!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
In a word, yes.

But there is a special exemption for art based on the artist's personal suffering.

Also, consider that the poor characters awaiting you in hell to deal out their own versions of justice will be limited by the fact that they exist only in your imagination, along with the crimes you've commited against them. Actual people that you have actually wronged are a much bigger concern in hell (though your victims don't actually do anything themselves).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.