Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best Colleges for Writing/English in Utah?

Author Topic: Best Colleges for Writing/English in Utah?
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are quite a few people who live or are familliar with both writing and Utah in here, so please allow me to pose a question. . . .

When I get out of the military, I'm going to go to school full time for my degree. I've chosen to go home to Utah for the cost and QOL issues. My chosen major will English with an Emphasis in Professional and Technical Writing. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with the cheaper schools, USU or Weber State, or if it would just be better to live a little more modestly and attend the U of U?

My father attended USU, and one of his friends teaches English at Weber. He recommends U of U, but I really don't know if it'll be worth the extra money. If it was just me, that'd be fine, but I will be supporting a wife and two kids on the Navy's college money (heheh).

So anyone have any ideas/opinions/rude comments?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you with picking a school, even tho' I lived in Utah during my high school years. But I can tell you that the G.I. Bill is barely enough for tuition alone, let alone trying to live on it when you have a family. At best, it's a supplement. Of course, maybe things have changed since '93/94 when I was getting my G.I. Bill checks... maybe it's more money.

However, one school of thought (no pun intended) is to pick the school you want to go to and worry about paying for it later. With a family, this is a hard choice to make.

Another choice, as you seem to be aware of, is to pick a school with a tuition cost that is more affordable, learning a skill, trade, whatever, so you can support (or help support) your family even if the writing thing doesn't pan out for you. There are no degrees for writing, by the way. There's English, of course, and various other things...

It's a hard choice. I know. Do what feels right. If you are religious, ask for guidance. Whatever choice you make, stand by it.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey JB. Hubby and I both graduated from the U of U, and though neither sought a degree related to the field in which you want to study, I can recommend the married student housing there. We had an AWESOME experience living there for (get this) SEVEN YEARS! Which was much too long, but that's another story.

Still, it's a great way to attend the U and save a TON of money on rent, PLUS it's a fantastic environment for the kids--playgrounds for every fifty apartments or so. If you want to check it out you'll find housing units on the northwest and northeast corners of Sunnyside and Foothill. I also understand they've added additional units in the old Fort Douglas complex, but I don't know if those are family or single student housing. Weber State has nothing comparable for married students. Don't know about USU.

If you think that's an option, get on the waiting list ASAP. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Oklahoma, so I can't help you with the school part, but I can testify to the GI Bill/Navy College fund. A grand and change a month. Didn't pay for much of anything, but with the student loans, it was nice spending money.
BTW, you said you're in the Navy. What's your rate?

Oh, and I also don't know what programs they offer in Utah, but I went to OU, home of the Sooners,(Yes, I know, be quiet) and their English department writing programs were a joke. For professional writing, meaning actually get published in something besides a school paper, I went into journalism. They had a great creative writing program. Deborah Chester is one of the profs.
But that's OU. I don't know if Utah's schools would have the same type of programs.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just saw your profile. You're an ET? Welcome to civilian life, brother! I'm an ex-ET2.
When did you go to 'A' school? Great Mistakes, right?

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I have the college fund too, $40,000, so life will be manageable. Plus the GI bill booster. Bringing me to a grand total of $2265 a month. Its not great, but its liveable with a family. My kids won't be in school yet, so they're not TOO expensive yet.

Yes, I researched a little more, and Weber State and Utah State BOTH have degrees in "English with a Professional and Technical Writing Emphasis". U of U only has a base "English" degree that is literary based OR a teaching degree. So I guess the U is out. Plus, the tuition/fees would run about $500 a month--a little steep for my price range.

And no, I'm not out of the Navy yet (I wish). I went to "Great Mistakes" at the very beginning of 2001. I'm just planning a little early, trying to get my transcript up to snuff.

Funny, huh? I should've came into the navy as a journalist rather than as an Electronics Technician. But hey, then I wouldn't have my $40,000 bonus.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Yeah, no doubt.
It's good that you're not relying on the tech training when you get out. I managed to work in electronics for 3 years after I got out, but then the jobs dried up. We're a swap and replace variety of beings now.

Hey, btw, what's it like being an RM as well as an ET? Heard they combined the rates.

I was at SSC, GLakes from 95-97

Save yourself some trouble. Let the Educational people go over your DD214 before you leave Sand Dog, and give them a list of the schools at each university you're planning on going to. Since you're not going into electrical engineering, not a whole lot will transfer, but I managed to scrape enough credits from my Navy time to bump me up to a Sophomore. Helped with the parking, at the time.
Oh, and that whole transitioning out program they'll make you go to...try and sleep through it. I actually bothered to listen, and it's a crock of blankety-blank blank. Just make sure you call the VA as soon as you get out and tell them you're going to school. Get the ball rolling on that money as soon as possible.

So what ships were you on? My last duty station was the USNS Big Horn. Sweet duty..

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 24, 2005).]

Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm studying English at the U of U, and it's pretty good up there. You have to be REALLY careful about which classes you take, because some of the faculty is lacking, but if you get into the good classes, it's superb. Beware especially the lower-level teachers (grad-program teaching assistants are the worst) as they play favorites and their methods are sometimes questionable.
 | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is attending the U of U in the marketing department and has had a good business writing class, so I know there are such nonliterary classes available.

I earned a couple of tech degrees from the U of U, and only took a few literary classes (beyond the general required classes) from the English department, but as long as I have been paying attention, the U of U has not been wonderful for anything but literary stuff. (It is definitely NOT the place to go if you want to write science fiction or fantasy.)

I'd recommend checking on married student housing at Utah State (listen to Dakota) and seeing if they have something there that is comparable to what's at the U of U. (I live within walking distance of the U of U married student housing, and second what Dakota says about the apartments there.)

It would be cool if you and your family could live nearby, JB, but it really sounds as if Utah State might be the place to go--if they have decent and affordable married student housing. If not, then I guess you'll have to find some other way to decide between Weber and Utah State.

Best wishes.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Having lived in Ogden for almost nine VERY LONG years now, and if it comes down to sixes between USU and WSU, go to Logan, my man. Go to Logan. I'd MUCH rather be raising a young family up there, sending the kids to the schools up there.

That's one of the main reasons I homeschool--the schools in the Ogden District are, to be polite, less than extraordinary. And the Weber County schools in areas where poor students can afford to live are just a half-step above.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't discount UVSC. (Unless it's too far away for you.) It's a great school, small class sizes, professional teachers(I don't mean their pros at teaching Their pros in the fields they teach.) and I haven't priced USU or Weber, but I think it's cheaper than them. It has a large technical tradition since it evolved out of a tech school.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.