Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 2:49am and I should be sleeping...

Author Topic: 2:49am and I should be sleeping...
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
...but my mind is racing and I just sat down and outlined 3 approaches to what could be a seriously edgy short story.

Thanks a lot Hatrack! Now how will I get back to sleep?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always Nyquil... if you can deal with the strange dreams and a hangover in the morning...
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Nyquil! Gahhh! That is seriously bad stuff.

I used Uisce Beatha instead. Glenmorangie, to be exact. Works well.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know it's nasty stuff... it probably should be banned as it's roughly hazardous waste, in my opinion. But it does put one fast asleep at the risk of losing many, many brain cells.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 14, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like good work for 2 am!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<There's always Nyquil... if you can deal with the strange dreams and a hangover in the morning...>

Hmmm.... Nyquil you say... I've gotten my best story ideas from dreams...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to work the night shift in a psychiatric hospital*, I often had trouble sleeping once I got home in the morning. I started to get very worn out after a while, so I looked into sleeping pills. They all caused an unrestful drugged-out sleep (like NyQuil.) Then I stumbled on a suppliment called melatonin at a health food store (and later at wal-mart somewhat cheaper.) It's a synthetic version of the hormone that tells your body it's night and time to go to sleep. For me, it worked like a charm. Twenty minutes after taking it I was out. As a side effect, I was treated to extremely vivid dreams.

I'm not sure I want to recommend it as a "dream pill," but if you have trouble sleeping it works great. And you don't get that drained, hung-over feeling you get from NyQuil and sleeping pills.

*It wasn't really a psychiatric hospital, but that's the easiest way to describe the post-institution community group homes without a lot of dull explanation.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
When I quit smoking, I used the patches. They also produce quite vivid dreams. I remember I was building this highway while holding the trophy I'd won in the Olypmics. It was all silver and had these little mechanical moles that popped up and spun around. The trophy was pretty neat too.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Nyquil doesn't give me any dreams. I sleep like a brick. So very boring. I prefer to sleep natural. I belive that If I can't sleep then I shouldn't.
The other day when My alarm went off I said "I can't get up now the cookies are almost done."
I can't remember the dream but I woke up with the taste of chocholate chips in my mouth.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.