Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » tired soul

Author Topic: tired soul
Defult
Member # 2286

- posted      Profile for Defult   Email Defult         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey kid! Yeah, you! Skunk breath! Catch!" Locke threw the ball at Andrew’s face. The football flew over and hit the young kid’s back. The ball landed him in the shoulder blade and dropped Andrew down to the ground in a heaping pile of tears. It was like this everyday for Andrew. Always getting picked on, beat up and many other horrible things. He was very, very small for his age and not a very bright student because of these happenings. He lived on the bad side of town and had to walk everywhere to get to places risking the fact that he would get almost killed. Locke was no exception to this; he called his friends over to help him chase down Andrew. Locke was not smart either, but because of his size compared to everyone else, he was the leader of his gang, the Slices. It was a nice day with stormy clouds seemingly arranging over head, a bad day for a fight to happen.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Defult! Welcome to Hatrack.

This looks like a piece that you wanted comments on? Is that so?

If yes, you might want to ask Kathleen to move it over to Fragments and Feedback.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
[Quote]: "Hey kid! Yeah, you! Skunk breath! Catch!"

Ineffective. Fails in two areas. Firstly, it is a poor to start a story as it is vaue and unfocused. Secondly, it fails by itself, for it rushes. The Hey kid! part is so blended into the next part that we do not see any recation; no time is given to absorb impact, create emotional bond.

[Quote]: Locke threw the ball at Andrew’s face.

Unclear who these people are.

[Quote]: The football flew over and hit the young kid’s back.

The ball flew over what and hit what young kid? Who is this young kid? What does he have to do with the first to people?

Quote: The ball landed him in the shoulder blade and dropped Andrew down to the ground in a heaping pile of tears.

This sentence makes no literal sense. As such, I lose patience as a reader and will continue no further.

Good luck!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I can delete posts or topics, but I can't move them.

I could copy Defult's post in a new topic that I would start, but I'd need to know that's what Defult wants.

Defult could as easily copy the post and start a new topic with it in the Fragments and Feedback as I could.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Defult
Member # 2286

- posted      Profile for Defult   Email Defult         Edit/Delete Post 
crap. well i guess i just am more crazy then i thought. that o im illiterate (or how ever you spell it).
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.