Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dart Guns

Author Topic: Dart Guns
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
This is in F&F, but I thought I'd field this here. I'm at work now, so don't want to be seen going to websites about weapons. Big Brother might get the wrong idea...

The character uses a dart gun, the dart contains poison. Is there a better, less inane term than dart gun?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited April 19, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
airgun? describe the propellant rather than the projectile?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make up a kind of proper name for it. If it's a common tool, that might be even more believable.

I guess it depends on how familiar the weapon is to the person naming it. If it's awkward for him and he's not comfortable with it, I think the term "dart gun" is appropriate in its clumsiness. If your character is more familiar with it, he should call it something that better reflects that familiarity.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited April 19, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I still fail to understand why dart gun is inane. I like Jeraliey's idea of making up a proper name for it, like Magnum, but if you do that, you'll probably wind up creating exposition for yourself.

"He pulled his Lector 47, the smallest dartgun on the market, from his pocket."

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The term "blowgun" is also appropriate.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
What about a blowpipe? That would be a great choice of weapon if you didn't need massive range, but wanted something poisonous.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a blowgun or a spring propelled gun? (Or I think that there are ones that take Co2 cartriges.) You could call it a pointy projectile accelerator, but that might be more inain.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a tranquilizer gun that is being used to shoot a poisoned dart instead of a tranquilizer dart?

If so you could call it a tranq gun or tranquilizer gun. However that could cause some confusion about the nature of the dart.

Given the context you presented over in F&F, I thought dart gun was perfectly fine. I don't think it sounds hokey or inane. Since you only use the ter once anyways, I don't think there is any need to get creative over it. The goal should be to be as simple and direct in your use of language as possible. Creating or using a term that needs to be explained does not meet that goal.

Dart gun is simple, concise and says what you need it to say. If you have one word in your story that feels inane to you, oh well. It's one word!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
>Is it a tranquilizer gun that is being used to shoot a poisoned dart instead of a tranquilizer dart?
Yes, most likely. But a handgun, not rifle-like.

>Is it a blowgun or a spring propelled gun? (Or I think that there are ones that take Co2 cartriges.)
Definitly not a blowgun, and I don't think a spring would have a good enough range, would it? CO2, sounds better...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Leone
Member # 2365

- posted      Profile for Josh Leone   Email Josh Leone         Edit/Delete Post 
MI6 employed a wide selection of air powered weapons for short range engagement. Ricin (I think that's how it's spelled) was a popular poison for use with air weapons.

I've heard them called Gas Guns, CO2 Weapons, Air Guns, but I'm with MaryR on this one. I see nothing wrong with Dart Gun.

Josh L

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
If it needs to be quiet, you might consider electromagnetic propulsion. Given very precise engineering, a good power supply, and a long enough barrel, this could be almost silent. Actually, if the gun has room for a centrifuge, it doesn't need the long barrel.

And the poison might be curare, depending on the role this gun plays. It's the paralytic used in surgical anaesthesia to keep patients immobile. In my previous job I observed lots of patients under anaesthesia, and the effect of curare is amazing and creepy. It makes a living, breathing, even conscious person into a paralyzed slab of meat.

I'm using various forms of curare in several of my stories. For dramatic putrposes, the stuff is too good to be true.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a good power supply, you don't need a long barrel, a high powered solinoid can accelerate a dart up to a pretty good speed all by itself.

"Needler" is a common term for any SF weapon that uses darts or something similar. You could call it a flechetter or flechette gun, but that usually implies a very high speed projectile with small fins which both stabilize the projectile and inflict additional damage on personel, and it would be atypical for them to need poison.

"Dart gun" is probably fine, unless you're really unhappy with it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.