Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » European Vacation...Minus One Chevy Chase

Author Topic: European Vacation...Minus One Chevy Chase
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what everybody!

*What?*

I'm a-goin' to Europe! End of June...can't wait. I expect to gather a veritable ton of material for writing. More than usual, at the very least. It still hasn't fully hit me that I'm leaving the good ol' continental U.S. for a place of incredible history and cultural significance. It being my first trip out of the country makes it a little more exciting.

Our itinerary is pretty full. We'll start out hanging around London, then head on over to Edinburgh for a few days...I'm really looking forward to seeing Scotland. After that, we're going to fly over to Vienna and see how things are in Austria. After that, Venice ("Ahhh...Venice.") and Rome are next on the list, with Rome being the final location. After that we get to savor that long flight back home (and the ensuing jet lag...which I hear affects different people differently).

Regardless, I can't wait to begin gathering material. Who knows how it might come in handy during future writing projects. I'm contemplating keeping a journal for the trip, writing down everything I find particularly important, unusual, or just plain interesting. We shall see. Now all I have to do is hope and pray the pilot doesn't have a heart attack in the jet stream, halfway across the Atlantic.

(In such a case, I leave my twisted sense of humor to all of you, for which you will probably curse my name and villify my memory until the day you die. Believe it or not, it's one of the most precious possessions I have...after my autographed Wayne Gretzky photo, that is.)

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited May 28, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Rock on!

I'll be spending the month of August abroad. My hubbie is Glaswegian, and we'll devide our time between Glasgow and Edinburgh where his brother lives, and other points of interest around Scotland.

Have a ton of fun!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to getting your feet wet with a trip to Canada or Mexico before going overseas? Ah, well.

Enjoy yourself, don't put too much pressure on this trip to provide culture or experience or whatever. Save the "I gained #### XP" for when something bad happens (a couple of things are bound to go a little wrong), but don't pray up a disaster.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you have a good trip. I live in London -- but I'm American -- and my family is coming out at the end of June. We'll be going up to Edinburgh for a few days and all the way back down, past London, to southewest England (Dorset, Lyme Regis). There will be a few days spent in London, too.

quote:
I expect to gather a veritable ton of material for writing. More than usual, at the very least. It still hasn't fully hit me that I'm leaving the good ol' continental U.S. for a place of incredible history and cultural significance. It being my first trip out of the country makes it a little more exciting.

Cultural significance, eh? It's only a different culture, and trust me, there is nothing really significant other than being different from what you are used to, which may be all the significance you need for inspiration. Just don't flip anyone the peace sign here in the UK or elsewhere, as this is roughly equivalent to giving someone the middle finger. How's that for cultural signficance? Seriously, it's good that your excited. Keep an open mind and enjoy the differences, because that's the best part about travel. I always get a kick out of people who complain that a foreign country doesn't do things like Americans do. Well, duh, I say to those people. If you wanted something like home, you should have stayed home. Why did you travel abroad in the first place?

Flights: Since I presume you live on the east coast, your flight won't be very long. 6 - 7 hrs there, 7 - 8 hours back, probably. Depends on where you fly out of. It will be like flying to California... Consider this: flying to Australia was 24 hours on an airplane (London to Sydney). That's a long flight.

quote:
Regardless, I can't wait to begin gathering material. Who knows how it might come in handy during future writing projects. I'm contemplating keeping a journal for the trip, writing down everything I find particularly important, unusual, or just plain interesting. We shall see.

A journal is a good idea. I took notes while in Sydney. I turned those notes into a travel memoir upon my return to home.

I hope you have a great time. Oh, and don't forget to learn the language whilst traveling in the UK. It's English, but different -- especially Scotland.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
From my London trip a few years back, may I recommend:

* London Walks. They're advertised all over tube stations. I did the one to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral
* The British Museum
* Conversations, and eavesdropping, on trains

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
* London Walks. They're advertised all over tube stations. I did the one to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral

I've never seen them advertised -- and I'm surprised my wife hasn't mentioned them. Where did the Stonehenge walk start from? Do you recall? And how many miles or km was it?

Thanks.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stonehenge thing started at a train station, and you took the train to Salisbury. After seeing the cathedral, you took a bus to Stonehenge.

http://www.walks.com/ gives details!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell, I strongly recommend that you get copies of Rick Steves' books on touring Europe. He has one for the whole place (I believe) called EUROPE THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, and he has ones for separate countries.

Since you are visiting several countries, you might want to get the book for the whole place rather than the ones for each place.

I have used his books when I've gone (to Austria, Venice, London, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany) and they have been wonderful.

He tells you how to vacation in Europe the way the people who live there vacation in it instead of being insulated by all the American touristy things. He also tells you which of the touristy things are worth bothering with, how to do them inexpensively, and great places to stay while you're there.

I can't recommend his books highly enough. Please, check into what he has to say (get one from the library first, if you want to read before you buy). He really is a wonderful resource.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful, Inkwell! I am both excited for you and envious. I think a little bit of all of us will be travelling in your luggage.

I ran across this bit from a book I'm reading titled "Write Faster, Write Better" by David A. Fryxell:

quote:

The key to turning travel experiences into story fodder is to be a pack rat. Grab every brochure, flier, handout, map, guidebook, and pamplet you can get your hands on. They're valuable not only for the written facts and figures, dates and names, but for the photographs that can jog your memory and add colorful descriptions to your copy. You can also take photographs of yourself, of course. It doesn't matter whether you're a terrific photographer or not, as long as your pictures are in focus. Always take color snapshots, so you'll know later whether that quaint old inn you're describing is red or blue. Take an extra suitcase if you have to, just for your research goodies, or mail a package back home to yourself. Also tote a notebook to supplement the published materials with insights and observations of your own. Don't count on remembering the details of even the most memorable vacation; you might not use some of this raw material for months or even years. Then, once you get home, devote a file cabinet or box in the closet to all your travel materials--labeled by destination so you can find them when you need them.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited May 30, 2005).]

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you should absolutely do if you are going to be taking photographs: keep a notebook that tells you what each photograph is showing. Include things like where you took it, when you took it, where you were standing, what direction you were pointing the camera, and so on, so you will know what it is later.

Then, make sure that information is with each photograph when you put them in your photo album (online or in hardcopy).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add one more thing. While you are taking down all this data, jot down some impressions and feelings. Maybe the photos and facts will bring them back to you, any maybe not.

Oh, and, gee, don't forget to have fun!

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing you should absolutely do if you are going to be taking photographs: keep a notebook that tells you what each photograph is showing. Include things like where you took it, when you took it, where you were standing, what direction you were pointing the camera, and so on, so you will know what it is later.

Hmm, very good advice. Not sure I would have thought of that.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Europe, everybody. This is the first time I've had access to a computer since I flew over, and just wanted to thank those of you who posted tips and suggestions for the trip. I'm currently in Rome...it's very hot. The sunshine in Italy is amazingly potent (in Venice too, though the sea breeze helps a bit there). I only have a few more days of vacation left, but intend to enjoy them as much as possible. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

BTW, we ran into Prince Charles and his new wife in Edinburgh Castle. Eh...that is, we were almost run over by his car as it passed through the castle. Just thought that might amuse some of the more morbid Hatrackers out there.

Inkwell
----------------
"When in Rome..."

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah!
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.