Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Screenplay

Author Topic: Screenplay
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm trying to write an amateur movie screenplay for some friends and I. unfortunately, i don't know what voice I'm trying to use. I'd like to make it funny, but I don't really know how to do humor on paper. I wouldn't even mind melodrama, but right now it's sort of in between the two. Any advice?
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a screenplay, or more like a skit? I'm asking because Deanna writes skits, and you might ask her if skit-writing experience would help. I'm totally clueless on the matter.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, well, I was hoping on different scenes and such. And part of the stage directions are intended for the camera itself. I don't know if that clarifies anything at all.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a story?
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right, HSO has had some experience with screenplays.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited June 06, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Get and read the book "Scriptwriting" by Straczynski. It was recommended to me by a Hollywood pro. The book is excellent.

Edit: I have a personal policy against dropping names and I broke that policy here. Edited to remove the name.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited June 07, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Also take a look through your DVD special features, some of them have full scans of the scripts and you can see what was written compared to what is happening onscreen. I learned quite a bit from the Simpsons DVD.

Oh and don't try to write an amature script, try to write a professional one. If it's amature oh well, but always try for the best.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited June 07, 2005).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The best example I ever saw of combining humor with pathos and melodrama was "The World According to Garp." That was an excellent job of stitching humor and serious moments together. It left me feeling off balance, but the movie stuck with me. (Never read the book.)
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Are you telling us not to read the book, or claiming you have never read the book?
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

Does anyone know how to put humor in writing? I mean, I'm not the sort of guy who can turn out perfect jokes or anything, but I can be funny at times in my normal conversations. However, I can never seem to sound funny on paper. That's one genre I just can't seem to figure out how to write.
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Try The Comic Toolbox by John Vorhous. He was a comic script writer for TV series, including Murphy Brown (IIRC). It is an excellent book, delinating the different types of humor and giving exercises in using them. It also has a plot outline (the Comic Throughline(R)) that can't be beat.

It may not make you funny, but it should make you funnier.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search of my library. Here's some stuff I found:

How to write & sell your sense of humor
Perret, Gene.

Speaker's handbook of humor
Orben, Robert.

Encyclopedia of 20th-century American humor
Nilsen, Alleen Pace.

Mirth of a nation : the best contemporary humor 1st ed.
Rosen, Michael J., 1954-

Comedy writing
Roche, Jenny.

Brain droppings 1st ed.
Carlin, George.

The Penguin book of women's humor
Barreca, Regina

LOTS of stuff by Dave Barry. Read lots of humor writers--any you can get your hands on.

And never underestimate the power of your local library.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Spaceman: Sorry. It was late when I posted. I meant I had never read the book (The World According to Garp.)

I have a suggestion for learning about humor. It's a little more involved than simply reading a book. Toastmasters International is an organization that teaches people to be effective speakers - a skill many people can use. They have lessons on giving humorous speeches, and every club usually has a humorous speech contest.

My brother is very active in the organization and I attended a conference with him last fall. The gentleman who won the international speech contest gave a very humorous speech on the topic of writing a winning speech.

He talked about things like pacing and creating effective mental imagery. I learned a lot from him about effective writing.

To a large degree, the tools for good speeches are the same tools for good writing. Keep your eyes open to what you can learn from other formats for humor. All of it can relate back to writing.

Just an idea to consider.

muogin
Member # 1963

- posted      Profile for muogin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been my experience that one of the most sure fire ways to get people losing their minds in laughter is the extreme unexpected.

Here I'll make something up on the spot.

BOSS: So what's your name kid, and why do you want this job.
KID: Welp, my name is John Abbott, and I want this job because...
BOSS: Wait a freakin' second, you mean to tell me, your last name it Abbott?
KID: Yeah, why?

Boss stands up and pumps his fist in victory.

BOSS: Kid, you dumb a--. This means every time I want a freakin cup of coffee I'll be able to lean my head out the door and shout; 'Eh Yeahbat!' Like I'm friggin Lou Costello of the famous 'Abbott and Costello' comedy duo.

Or wait were they a duet. Duo or duet. That reminds me.

Kid, or can I call you "Yeahbat!" (Laughs) So anyways Yeahbat, Did I ever tell you about the time I walked naked with nothing more than a friggin' ping pong paddle rubber banded around my...

---

It's all about takin' 'em down the unexpected road

Muogin

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

That may have been an unexpected road, but I didn't find it at all funny. I found it confusing. Humor can be such an individualized thing.
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to do that too when I'm purposely trying to sound funny. Sometimes I get something that gets a smile, but never outright laughter. It's sad.
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
Myth--I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got so far and give you my opinion and some suggestions. I have written skits (not screenplays) which have been considered humorous.
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Intentionally?
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

ok, sure, I'll e-mail it to you if you don't mind. Just warning you though, it's not supposed to be taken too seriously because I only meant it to be an amateur movie my friends and I were going to make at some point.
Void
Member # 2567

Yes, I intended for them to be humorous. I found it's easier to talk teenagers into being in a skit if it's funny.
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

And it's not really written to be funny either. Like I said, I didn't know what I was doing with it. More like a "this is corny" film
Void
Member # 2567

Myth--yeah, send it over. I understand it's for an amature production. That's all my stuff ever was. My son is working on a little film of his own. It isn't based on a story, though; it's a fighting scene with lightsabres and guns. It will only be about 5 minutes long when it is finished, but he has put an immense amount of work into it.
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

Hey, I sent it over. Yeah, mine was more of a "let's experiment" thing. Plus I have a friend who I really wanted to write a character for. Good guy.
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

It's really not much, but I would love to be able to write serious stuff and serious comedy (is that an oxymoron?)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.