Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Why speculative fiction?

Author Topic: Why speculative fiction?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that all of us here, to some extent or another, read speculative fiction. Why? What attracts you to the genre?

I was thinking about this the other day when a friend of mine recommended a truly awful fantasy series to me to read. It has nothing in it of depth or substance, but rather is a silly, boyish adventure story. I believe the fun and fantastic may be exactly what attracted the aforementioned friend to the story and to the speculative genre in general -- but that's not me.

I find speculative fiction to be an honest and imaginative way to turn a mirror on the human condition. Things we could not say in mainstream literature for fear of it being "politically incorrect" is fair game when wrapped in magic, aliens, or future technology. What if becomes, in an abstract sense, what is.

I also love the abstraction. It can be boring to think about the same mirrored topics in terms of what they really are. I find them easier to swallow in the form of speculative fiction or comedy....sometimes both, as in Douglas Adams.

I enjoy fun and magic, the exotic and exciting, the strange and bizarre, but I do not enjoy these things for themselves. I look for and expect meaning and am disappointed when I don't find it.

Anyone else have a compelling reason for liking this genre?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's the fun and fantastic, the exotic and exciting, the strange and bizarre, adventure, the free reign of imagination, the mystery and exploration of the question, "What if?"

But then, for me, it has to retain enough of the human element for me to relate to the story. I do want to care about the characters.

For me, a story that is a thinly disguised allegory of the human condition, would be OK, if the story is good enough.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm not sure what thinly veiled allegory has to do with anything. I was more concerned with depth, that the story is about more than fantastic or bizarre things.
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this genre because, firstly, a lot of writers in it are still here to entertain. The literature I was forced to choke down in English classes had a strong tendency to disreguard the story and character for the sake of theme. Fantasy and Science Fiction writers still care a lot about spinning a good yarn and keeping you at the edge of your seat.

I like the exotic places as well. I think it allows someone to write a story with more clarity. If you set it in modern times, and there's a cop in the story...well, I already have an idea of what cops are like. If you portray them drastically different, I won't believe the story. Fantasy, however, when you're inventing it all...I don't have a frame of refrence full of preconception and prejudicies.

I also like the exposure to new ideas of science, magical systems, cultures, and people.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I started reading SF (and fantasy - though there wasn't very much of that around at the time) in my teens, it was the sense of wonder, and the idea of escape from the mundane real world. I think a lot of people get into it for that reason.

Now, thrumty-splee years later, I don't have the same need to escape. As a result, I don't actually read anything like as much as I used to (most of my reading now is factual, not fictional). But I write speculative fiction because of the urge to create. I have never had any real skill at creating anything physically - I can't sculpt, paint, or play music. But I can create things with words. Writing a story in "the real world" doesn't feel as much like an act of creation as writing in a world that is all my own (no matter how heavily it may borrow cultural, linguistic and historical elements).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it because there are no limits other than what the author imposes. If the story exists in the author's own world, there aren't the same limitations upon the plot that are placed on the real world in contemporary fiction or historical fiction. Not only does this allow greater freedom of plot, but it also allows a more precise examination of ideas; a concept or development can be taken to its logical conclusion, isolated from confusing factors, and examined in a framework that could never exist in reality. This freedom of plot and concept must be treated responsibly, of course, or suspension of disbelief is lost or boredom ensues. Just because the pauper can become the king in a fantasy world doesn't mean that he always should. Just because an idea can be isolated and placed in a new context doesn't mean that I'll automatically believe it or disbelieve it. But I think spec fiction often allows the skillful writer far more freedom than mainstream or literary fiction.

That said, I think the biggest reason I keep going back to particular writers in the field is their ability as storytellers. They exercise that freedom, but in the stories I enjoy most, they always use it responsibly in telling a great story about characters I care about and can believe in.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, both Miriel and Minister really sum it up for me -

Miriel:

I love this genre because, firstly, a lot of writers in it are still here to entertain.

Minister:

I think the biggest reason I keep going back to particular writers in the field is their ability as storytellers.

This is the problem I have with UK slipstream fiction, which for me is just miserablist fiction under a different name. It certainly doesn't entertain (leaves you feeling decidedly sullied in fact) and they certainly aren't storytellers as 'story' never comes into these mood pieces!

When I first began writing it was mostly genre work - SF, fantasy, horror - and although now I tend towards stories concerning the breakdown of relationships, with a twist of magic realism to them ('Time' is a big theme in my stories), with the exception of a few writers like John Irving and Margaret Atwood it's all genre writers I read. I just love the flow of invention! Alastair Reynolds and Stephen Baxter for them awesome special effects eat-your-heart-out-CGI panoramas. China Mieville's captivating portrayal of a city, Connie Willis's characters and humour and her ability to put you RIGHT THERE. Or Richard Morgan's kickass debut of the decade, 'Altered Carbon'.

These people are so much fun to read! Mainstream fiction, by comparison, seems so staid. It doesn't have anyone like that delightful Terror from Texas, Joe R. Lansdale, or our very own hyperactive Harlan Ellison, or that jack-of-all-trades and master of them all, Dan Simmons. Nobody in the mainstream gets excited about its writers the way speculative fiction fandom gets excited about theirs (Worldcon, anyone?). Plus we keep the books alive, with classic reprint lines and anthologies.

PS: one last shameless writer plug - Peter Straub's 1990 collection 'Houses Without Doors' which is, in my very humble opinion, the best single-author collecion EVER, bar none, hands down.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

The first "real" book I remember trying to read was an old Nancy Drew book of my mum's. It had a scary-looking robot on the cover, and I just had to know what that was all about!

I feel the same way about speculative fiction today. The whole, "What if..." theme just calls to my inner day-dreamer.

I read just about anything in any genre, though. From high-brow literary authors to best-selling hacks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Christine. She said it perfectly, as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't anything for me to say... I read spec fic, and write it, mainly because of the ability it has to envelope me in it's own completely new world, make me love their characters, and just generally provide me with a great story. Other forms of fiction aren't interested in their readers, they're just interested in politics.
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read to investigate the human condition. I read to experience things I could never have otherwise experienced, the stranger the better!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Good speculative fiction does more than just present a bizarre situation...it puts me there. It does more than just ask "What if?" it makes me wonder what I would do. This is what I mean by exploring the human condition. I don't mean that I'm interested in mindless psychobabble. I mean that watching human beings struggle in extraordinary situations is a fascinating form of introspection when done well.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, Christine. You know there's some terrible stuff out there. I can live with the ones that are just adventure stories. They are what they are. It's the ones that pretend to be something they're not. Basically, there just derivative and fomulaic, and that usually means they're always going to be uninspiring to the imaginative reader who wants to explore new worlds, concepts, ideas...

I am carefully selective now about what I read. But my parents just sent me some books, one of which is the most confused scifi novel I've ever seen. Another was a set of alternative history books which were almost plotless, and certainly lacking in significance. The plot was so empty as to be laughable, and every solution came about too easily. There are very good ideas in both of these books and yet they're not developed.

So there has to be more than just interesting ideas in your book. You have to be able to tell a story and make the reader become part of the story. Only then will they see that world as you the writer do.

To be honest though, I don't think genre has much to do with poor fiction. There is poor fiction in all the genres I've seen. I'd rather see at least 50% of the hatrackers here printed than those. So finish your WIPs folks, find a publisher, and let me read some good fiction.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
OK!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
QuintessentialK
Member # 2783

- posted      Profile for QuintessentialK   Email QuintessentialK         Edit/Delete Post 
Speculative fiction is a new term for me, and using it still makes me feel all special, as if I'm somehow more enlightened then those who say sci-fi/fantasy. Of course speculative fiction is a more general term, but 90% of the time...who would know the difference? I think it is much the same with anime (vs cartoons) and graphic novels (vs bound comic books). There's a world of connotative distinction and some denotative distinction in the more accurate terms, but most people would understand the alternatives more easily.

Or at least that's my sense of things. Maybe I don't truly appreciate speculative fiction, but as an outsider to the literary world, I think it sounds a bit jargony and pretentious.

What do people here think of the term and what it means? I suppose I should do a search before I ask that question; I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum.

That said, what attracted me about speculative fiction was the liberation of imagination it encouraged -- the way it so easily became fuel for my own daydreams and often escapist fantasies. Straight drama can certainly capture me and make me feel a great deal of empathy for the characters, but only with spec. fic. do I really imagine _myself_ in the book's setting.

The fundamental logic and reasoning behind "what if?" also has appealed to me: that is, taking some statements about the world and what we know about science and human behavior and extrapolating beyond.

[This message has been edited by QuintessentialK (edited August 25, 2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Quint: Speculative fiction is a term that is needed because it's the only term that catches everything we do.

djvdakota said

quote:
Other forms of fiction aren't interested in their readers, they're just interested in politics.

Not to say that political opinon and statement are absent in spec fic. Here we can extrapolate to extremes and allow readers to come to their own conclusion (think: "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Tick Tock Man").

Why do I like spec fic? It's fun. Where else can you find such diversity in subject matter, opinion, presentation, milieu, characters, ideas, events, interactions, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read for escapism, mostly, and I'd rather escape to a non-ordinary world. Also, I value spec fic's emphasis on story.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid. That, and a no-budget country library with 30 year old books got me into speculative fiction (a term I prefer or sci-fi/sci-fantasy). I'd rather read classic Asimov or Clarke than Dickens or Hemingway. Mix those two reasons together and that led to a natural affection for science. Speculative Fiction not only took me to space and other worlds but taught me science in an entertaining fashion (Tom Swift was the king). Then came Star Wars and the first home PCs (sci-fi come to life)

I read more non-fiction science writing than anything else now. But my favorite authors still show me how new technology might be used and how it might affect society. I can't imagine NOT reading speculative fiction (except when it's easier to rent the movie than read the book...like you do with Dickens and Hemingway).

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought of "speculative fiction" as a pompous way of saying "science fiction," while attempting to retain the "SF" initials.

A mention here reminded me of my own early interest in space and the space program. About the time I got to grasping all the fine details of what it would take to actually become an astronaut (y'know, "hard work,") I ran into science fiction. (I was nine.)

(A portion of that was dumb luck. I'd been reading some books out of the school library by one Marguerite Henry, and my fingers wandered down to these books by one Robert A. Heinlein. I wondered if they were any good. Boy, were they ever!)

Suddenly I was in a place, where I could get to anywhere in Space / Time, any time I wanted it, only by opening a book and reading.

I suppose it was inevitable that I'd move on from reading it to writing it. I'd made up formless stories in my mind, scribbled-and-erased action cartoons while daydreaming in school classes, or acted out this and that with objects around the house.

(Blame Asimov for giving me the idea to write something resembling a story---if he hadn't'a published "The Early Asimov" when he did, it might have taken years for the idea to pop up in my mind.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Speculative fiction is not, in fact, a pompous way of saying science fiction. It is a more inclusive term for any type of fiction that asks, "What if?" and it includes scifi, fantasy, horror, and slipstream.
Beth
Member # 2192

Right. It's a big umbrella term.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The big umbrella term for all that is "fantasy."
Christine
Member # 1646

No, it's not.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Come to think of it, what's "slipstream?" Alternate history?
Christine
Member # 1646

Slipstream is essentially any speculative fiction that does not fit into one of the other sub-categories: science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc. Alternate history is typically given as a subgenre of fantasy.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

I was reading an interesting essay last night by Frank Herbert. His contention was that as SF becomes a more legitimate literary form (read accepted by the ivory tower) it will lose its cutting edge and become more and more restricted. He losely cited an example that almost no Soviet science fiction depicted any government that strayed very far from Soviet communism. (This was published in 1975.) Something to consider. Be careful what you wish for.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited August 25, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

Christine is, as usual, right; all fantasy is spec fic but not all spec fic is fantasy; the other broad divisions are horror and SF. But it's just easier to call it all "spec fic" than to get hung up on genre definitions, particularly since a lot of the most interesting work crosses genre boundaries and plays around and gets dirty and comes home smirking.
Christine
Member # 1646

I was trying to think of an example of slipstream and I think I came up with one.."The Long Walk" by Stephen King which, btw, is a very compelling short novel. (short for King, anyway ) The book asks "What if?" but has no magic or science whatsoever. It asks what if we had a contest in which one hundred boys started walking until they couldn't walk anymore. At that point they are shot until the last man walking gets whatever he wants. (It's very good, actually.)
QuintessentialK
Member # 2783

- posted      Profile for QuintessentialK   Email QuintessentialK         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the question I should be asking then is: What isn't speculative fiction? Isn't all fiction by nature speculative? What type of written literature is left when we subtract the types we've discussed here?

[This message has been edited by QuintessentialK (edited August 26, 2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Mainstream/Literary. Romance. Western. Mystery.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Thrillers/War...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JRune
Member # 2835

- posted      Profile for JRune   Email JRune         Edit/Delete Post 
Back at the original question...

What got me into specfic was my family. They've always been proliferate readers, and I think I asorb no less than a 250+ page novel per week because of it. My grandparents' house had a bookshelf devoted entirely to my mom and two uncles' sci-fi/fantasy collection, as well as grandma's fantasy works. Some of the first stuff I read was Heinlein's boys' adventures, such as Space Cadet, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Rocketship Gallileo and Red Planet.

From there I moved up to harder stuff as I got older and was better able to understand the words and the characters' view-points. I read Immorality, Inc. as well as several of the Clarke books, and some of the books whos names I don't remember but whose plots I vaguely recall.

As I moved along, I read almost solely the works of Heinlein until I finished them all at least twice when I was 19. Realizing that dead authors tell no tales, I began to flex out and look for other authors. More Clarke, Asimov, Haldeman and Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (which I read out of order starting with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe: I highly recommend reading them out of order... they actually make more sense) all fell into my lap and pulled me off into other authors.

Someone suggested i give Ender's Game a try, and I did and couldn't put the book down. I gave it far more devotion than I ever gave any other book. From there I read Speaker for the Dead, but couldn't read Xenocide because by the third chapter I was intensely bored of the book. Then I found Ender's Shadow, and have just today completed Shadow of the Giant. I read them in order and loved them all immensely. I always identified mored with Peter than Andrew anyway. Not that I'm sadistic and evil, though. I could never see the fun in pulling insects apart, let alone birds and squirrels.

Lately, I've read a lot of authors that run outside my usual circles. I've read most of Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series. I've read all, I think, of Robert Aspirin's Myth series. I know I've read the complete Discworld series. I've read a few of Neil Gaiman's works, as well as the works of Stephen King and Robert J. Sawyer. I've read probably every single Heinlein book to date, as well as Anne McCaffrey's Tower and the Hive series.

Finally, most recently, I've actually begun to read the Pern books. I'm on White Dragon, my first read-through. It's a bit slow-going, but I want to see why the hell people say my story of a lost colony reminds them so damnably much of Pern.

So far, I'm seeing a lot of dragons, some smatterings of lost technology being refound, and a somewhat similar plot: the red planet throws thread and thus creates havoc. In my story, an intergalactic war breaks out when humans discover that half the galaxies they've colonized have already been colonized by a silicon-based life-form, whose home-world happens to be in the same sector as my colony's planet. Really. Quite similar. I'm amazed. It's like I've been reading Anne McCaffrey's mind for years!

Anyhow, facetiousness aside, what keeps me reading this genre above all others is that it doesn't have to plague itself with over-development of a character just to advance the page-count. The characters develop from the stories and the stories develop from the characters. In literature, very rarely does the character actually undergo anything truly signifigant.

Most of the really good writers are in specfic, and since I like really good writing, there you have it.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
Maybe the question I should be asking then is: What isn't speculative fiction? Isn't all fiction by nature speculative? What type of written literature is left when we subtract the types we've discussed here?

While technically any story can be phrased in a "What if..?" question, only speculative fction uses this question to redefine reality. While a mystery story might ask, "What if an obsessive-compulsive private investigator goes out and solves crimes?" (Monk) there is nothing in this question that redefines reality as we know it. It's an amusing concept, certainly, but technically not impossible or any kind of redefinition of the way the world works.

On the other hand: "What if people lived in a fantasy world called 'Middle Earth' in which an evil power was trying to take over the world and twist it to its own purposes?" suggests a significant departure from reality.

Of course, there are levels. In some fantasy, the "What if..?" defines an entire sub-world. In some science fiction, the "What if..?" only modifies one small thing that will happen in the near future to change our lives.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to wonder about sci fi that bent the soft sciences and not just technology and hard sciences. I'd say a world in which "The Long Walk" could occur would involve some unusual permutations on psychology and sociology. I mean, besides having the boys willing to participate, who does the shooting? You can email me the spoilers. Or I can think of my own. I mean, I imagine it would be similar to the premise of "The Running Man."

And what happens if the winner wants most for some dead person to be brought back to life?

P.S. I failed to answer the original question. I guess because when I was a kid I didn't usually daydream about being an intermediary clerk or an insurance claims adjuster or some of the other careers one might find in modern naturalistic fiction.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited August 26, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

frank - no spoilers - no need.

The book isn't about the society at all. It's from the point of view of one of the walkers. It starts with the start of the walk and ends when he's done with the walk (one way or another). The society that would allow such a thing has nothing to do with the story and so there are two ways of looking at it. One, suspend disbelief. I promise King makes it worth such a suspension. Two, don't suspend disbelief. You don't really have to. Frankly, humans are viscious enough creatures that I don't find it such a stretch at all. I don't believe we're that far above the Romans and their baser forms of entertainment where human life was concerned. It's nice that today we can watch people pretend to die in movies -- otherwise we might crave blood.

It also seems i need to start a thread about non-spec fiction literature. Some people around here have some strange notions that make me wonder if they've ever really read any.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of person, walking indefinitely with his life on the line, doesn't ever think about why he's there?

I think that the story could work outside the specualtive fiction area, like if you set it in a death camp or something (the Nazies would play this kind of game all the time, and I'm sure other people have too). But by failing to make the story an examination of how something like this could happen, King is cheating big-time.

And that tells me that it's not worth my time. I just don't have any patience with POV cheating.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book Survivor, and I must admit, I did feel rather disappointed in the end. I'm really not a King fan, and that book certainly didn't offer me any reason to change opinions.

However, if I am remembering correctly, the boy DOES wonder on it a little bit... But I don't think he understood enough to give it the kind of study that people like myself would prefer.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I love your answer to the original question, franc li.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, speculative fiction is a form of escapism to a reality that I greatly enjoy. Not only because it's fun and features fantastic technology (which has fascinated me for as long as I can remember) and/or magical elements (which alternately disturb and entertain me, depending on how they're used), but also because it has proven to be a good genre to read. I've read your everyday fiction, non-fiction, romance, historical fiction, mysteries, horror, etc.—and frequently been horrified (critically, intellectually and aesthetically) by works from those genres. The stories were largely predictable, cliché, mundane, or just poorly written IMO. That last bit was the most frequent, actually.

Now, I'm not saying they're all like that (such a statement would be arrogant, obtuse, and false)...I'm just saying that I've faced fewer disappointments within the speculative fiction arena. That doesn’t mean I haven’t read some bad stuff that was speculative…because I have, though such situations are far less frequent. Many times, the ‘bad’ stuff has been my own. Eh…Freudian slip. Disregard that.

Perhaps it's also the prevalence of military-based themes in speculative fiction that draws me. I've always been interested in things tactical (from Sun Tzu to Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six). It's really a jumble of different elements mixed together that draws me to speculative fiction more often than any other genre. In fact, personal taste and character/personality probably influence this trend as heavily as everything else I’ve mentioned.

And besides...speculative fiction the genre I most enjoy writing. I guess that has something to do with it, too.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy speculative fiction because it's a way for me to state my opinions without directly stating them. My stories tend to be very theme-driven as opposed to plot- or character-driven.

I know, I know. Those are the books you hated to read in English class. Those books that sacrificed good characterization and plot in order to advance the theme. I hated those books, too, but that's why I'm writing theme-driven speculative fiction. I remember sitting in English class and thinking, "This wouldn't be so bad if these books were entertaining."

I mean, is there any reason that theme-driven books can't be entertaining? So that's what I'm trying to do with my stories: provide theme-driven novels that are also entertaining so that one could choose how to read it--as literature meant to make a point about real life or simply as entertainment.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I don't think I hated books in English class because they included elements of theme, depth, hidden meaning, or symbolism. I hated them because: 1. The English teacher forced her own ideas on me instead of letting me reason my own meaning. 2. The books were often boring, with characters I didn't care about and couldn't relate to. This may have been due to their historical nature but I doubt it...I read plenty of older works that I enhjoy. 3. The plots were often uninteresting in and of themselves. You couldn't enjoy the book on TWO levels...surface and deep...you could only enjoy it on ONE level...the hidden meaning the English teacher told you about. I found that to be a crock of s***.

I imagine that the desire for a book that entertains just as a good adventure with no deeper meaning is a reactionary point of view. There's nothing wrong with good depth, but to me the books you can only enjoy on one level, whether that level is on the surface or not, are the bad books.

Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, where does the line get drawn anyway? When does something stop being near future science fiction and start being very recent contemporary fiction? I had complaints about Pattern Recognition that arose out of its aspiration to be mainstream literary fiction, but the core premise is rather SFy, if you'll forgive the term. When does an urban fantasy become spiritualist literary fiction? When does something become an allegorical text rather than SF? Where are those lines?
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine completely. I hated English classes for all of those reasons. That's why now, if a book ceases to be entertaining, I'll put it down. Of course I like book with deeper meanings, too (Ender's Game comes to mind), but to me, the author should first work to entertain. I hate reading books I have to drag myself through, even if they are "classic" and won nobel peace prizes or whatever. This is why I enjoy Sophocles' plays. They were intended firstly for the masses, for entertainment. Anything deeper is a bonus.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Survivor, using the definition that says SF is anything where the story collapses when the science or technology is taken away, it can encompass an enormous time span--past, present, and future.
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, obviously any story collapses when you take out all the science. Turn off the laws of gravity, conservation of energy, mathmatics and boolean logic, and see just how sensible any story ever would be.

To be particular, Pattern Recognition had two clearly speculative elements that were absolutely critical to the story. One (revealed near the end of the story) was rather more fantastic than the other, but both were over that thin line between things that are known to really happen and things that are made up but seem like they could happen based on what we now know.

However, the elements were close enough to what is now known that not everyone would agree they were speculative.

thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so there seem to be a couple of ideas floating around. I'll see if I have enought cents to give two to each of them.

1. The first thing this question got me thinking about, was what is Spec Fic. I would sugegst that all fiction is speculative by the nature of being fiction. Almost every work of fiction (if I say 'every work' I know someone will slap me down) is dealing with a what if question. I'd like to propose that the difference between Spec Fic and all the other stuff is the that the other stuff asks "What if this possible thing happens?" while Spec Fic asks "what if this impossible thing happens?" Not sure if that's right, but it's a thought.

2. Having come up with that I was absolutely nowhere nearer working out why I love to read and write Spec Fic. I don't read or write it exclusively, but I do always come back to it. Partly it's the excitement, I think. That sensation of being dipped into a new world, wallowing in someone else's imagination. It's about escapism and adrenaline. To coin someone else's phrase it's about a sense of wonder.
I don't think that Spec Fic has the exclusive rights to exploring society or moral rights and wrongs, to having theme-driven, plot-driven, character-driven, or any other type of driven fiction, or anything else for that matter. I simply find it is the genre that, on the whole, involves the greatest amount of imagination. And that's what I love about it.

3. "The Long Walk" rules. Also, considering the prize for winning the walk is "anything you want" I think that motivation plays a large part of the book. "Pattern Recognition" is good too, but it's a little slow. :P

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Removing gravity isn't what I meant. A nuclear holocaust story is usually considered speculative fiction, yet if you take away the main ingredient, the nuclear weapon, there is no story. Nothing in that scenerio is necessarily future science.

Also, if you look at "The Wild Wild West," many of the plots could be considered science fiction because they pivoted on 19th century technology being used for diabolical 20th century inventions.

The science or technology involved in a SF story doesn't necessarily have to be not-yet invented. That is my point.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I think that with a nuclear holocaust, you're talking about something that most people are very sure has definitely not happened, with the exceptions of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Whereas with most other contemporary fiction, most people will think that the story could have happened. That's the line that most people use in deciding whether something is "speculative", the thin distinction between something that could happen and something that could have happened.

Which is why, despite Wargames having a semi-sentient computer at the heart of the premise, many people who watch it don't really think of it as SF, while they would definitely consider a movie like Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome as being way over the line.

For myself, I identified both those movies as being very much speculative. And how about Hidalgo? It's an outright fantasy, not only because it didn't happen but because it couldn't have happened. There was something of a stink about that, since the movie was marketed not just as "not fantasy" but as "based on a true life story". But that isn't the point...if I have one.

Or actually, I guess that's the point. Ultimately, I don't care about genre that much. As I've said before, I don't even distinguish between "fiction" and "non-fiction".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.