Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Old English dialect - sources?

Author Topic: Old English dialect - sources?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I intend to use older English dialect in a story, and wish to avoid making the reader wince.

Anyone know of a site where I can learn a bit? When and where were 'thee' and 'thou' used? Country dialects? etc

I just want to throw in enough to help set the scene, and avoid battering the readers ear.

For you LHrs, this will be a takeoff from that hilarious scene with my younger son Jean Pierre, and his 4 girlfriends.

Thanks

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you going for? Shakespeare? Middle English (Chaucer)? Rural England English from the late 19th century (think Lassie)?

I can't help unless you give me a more specific idea of what you're aiming at.

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. No earlier than 1700s England, I think.

Thanks for looking at it.

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
This explains the history of the usage of thee:
http://www.etymonline.com/columns/thee.htm

If you're going for no earlier than 18th century England, thee and thou were on their way out. By 1800ish, the usage of either sounded quaint and old-fashioned.

But for the record, thou is the nominative (subject) pronoun. So, you would use it like, "Thou art a fool." Thee is the objective (object) pronoun. You would use it like, "I tell thee true."

The thing most people can't get right, though, isn't the thee and thou stuff--it's the verb conjugations. For that, I'll have to be at home to give you a better idea.

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
In some parts of England, thee and thou survived much longer than that. Place as well as time will determine how your characters should speak.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I thank thee. Thou'rt a help.

and for those who want a futuristic english-sounding language, try Esata
http://www.beginnersgame.com/esata.html

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I wot that I have a fair sense of that manner of English, from the King James Version. 'Tis beautiful, and period; yet I have no idea of regional variations based thereon.

And, btw, I abhor with great passion the practice of putting "eth" on the end of verbs that need it not, as with "Whither thou goest I also will goest." 'Tis a fouler thing than seeing "alright"!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Alrighteth! I agreeth.

*spitteth to cleareth moutheth*

Sorry!

maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
You make me think of the Igors in the Discworld novels. It's funny!!!!
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Dude doesn't mind, but I'm going to pass on a great link he sent me.

He said:

quote:
One of my favorite online sources for original texts is the Medieval Sourcebook. It is a good place to read original texts and get a feel for the language of the period.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

Here's another good one:

http://members.aol.com/michellezi/resources-index.html#index

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Exellent, thanks Elan!
Inky_960
Member # 2808

- posted      Profile for Inky_960           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-

This might not be the reference you need for this particular story, but if you're interested in Old English and medieval stuff, and if you haven't found it and read it already, a very readable, entertaining, and tremendously edifying book, with much to say about dialects, Anglo-Saxon speech, etc., is...get a load of this:

_The Life and Times of Chaucer_ by John Gardner. (Knopf; ISBN: 0-394-49317-6)

As you might know, Gardner was a medieval scholar, and one of the most knowledgable people on earth regarding Chaucer. (Gardner also wrote _Grendel_, _October Light_, etc.) The Chaucer book is a gas.

And how long since you've heard "a gas" assigned to a book? Heh. // No kidding, it's a lively, scholarly romp, nothing else quite like it.

(Oh, and I got Linux! Haven't installed it yet, but thanks for the tip.)

Inky

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks, Inky!

I LOVE Chaucer! My most favorite set of tales on earth. Too bad they weren't ever finished.

Good luck with the Linux. Good on you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.