Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Memory Alloy Katana...

Author Topic: Memory Alloy Katana...
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, folks. I recently began work on a story involving the Japanese sword art of kenjutsu...set 500 hundred years in the future. The story, which takes place at a training academy for specialized ground forces (I won't get into the fine details), requires a weapon similar to the katana, though adapted for anti-powered armor combat. Simply put, I've been trying to come up with a future version of the katana that can cut through advanced combat armor, and be utilized as a safe training weapon.

Please don't bother to ask why I cannot simply use separate types (i.e. lethal and nonlethal)...I have a very specific plot-oriented reason for wanting the swords to have a 'safety feature' (for lack of a better term). Regardless of the practicality, I came up with a weapon design based on something called 'memory alloy.' It tends to be a familiar, though nonspecific, term among SF readers/writers, and therefore easily understood. The weapon concept utilizes a link-layered piece of this memory alloy, and is capable of varying its cutting edge from several centimeters' thickness (for training purposes) down to the diamater of a single atom...based on specific external input (which I haven't quite figured out yet).

In any case, the edge must be sharp enough, yet strong and flexible enough, to cut through the body armor of enemy soldiers (which was originally designed to repel energy weapons and high-velocity kinetic rounds, not a sword).

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this concept, or suggestions for improvement (which I'm sure it could use). Thanks, in advance, for any and all comments.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple. During training it's turned off. When turned on, it has an ultrasonic vibration that facilitates cutting through hard objects.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
What about some kind of sheath, in sheathed mode its antipersonell(?) - in unsheathed mode it can cut through armour plating...
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd have to be more specific on how the body armor works. It could be that the sword produces some sort of disruptive field that interferes with the body armor.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple really, its normally a dull blade, but when turn on, it has an energy edge/coating.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
The sheath idea is likely the easiest. The U.S. Army used that method when training with bayonets. They left the scabbards on to minimize the risk of injury.

[This message has been edited by krazykiter (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

^^^
So no one has a problem with the memory alloy shifting from an atomic-diameter edge to a blunt one for training purposes? Basically, the concept incorporates the idea of a sheath without requiring a separate 'scabbard' unit. Visually, the blade segment of the weapon would shift from that of a (relatively) harmless bokutô, or training sword, to the edge of a lethal katana. I suppose the idea also works well as a crowd control device...a bokutô doesn't feel particularly nice when it strikes one's skull or body, especially in the hands of a well-trained swordsman.

Inkwell
------------------
"The only difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It feels worse when it's in your own poorly trained hands when it hits you

I have a problem with calling it "memory alloy", particularly since you're saying that it a) cuts through armor plate by b) forming an atomic edge.

Put simply, just making something really sharp doesn't give it the ability to cut through something that is harder or stronger. If the armor plate is designed for maximum toughness, an alloy that has a fundamentally different purpose (being able to reshape itself on demand) isn't going to have a chance.

Most of the suggestions so far involve some kind of powered effect which can be turned off at need. I would tend to follow suit, given your other constraints.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

^^^
Agreed. I hit myself a number of times...before I learned it was more beneficial to my health to not use my body as a striking target. I seem to learn most things the hard way.

As for the strength/hardness issue...I was going with the idea that the memory alloy existed in two states. The first state, its solid state (no pun intended, electronically speaking) or 'memory state,' had the properties of an incredibly strong yet flexible material (mimicking, on a futuristic level of course, the desired behavior of folded steel of both ancient and modern katana. I understand that the folded steel blades were designed and crafted to cut through flesh and bone, not armor, but am simply assuming that a far-future material should counter that particular trait). The second state, the 'transition' state, would be initiated by some external, controlled stimuli accepted by the alloy (obviously not electrical or magnetic, in that upon cutting an opponent's armor the blade might encounter similar currents/fields). This is where I've been having the most developmental trouble...an 'activation input' that tickles the alloy into changing from one of two possible hardened 'memory' states to a 'transition' state, then back to the first or second 'memory' state.

I did not want to go with a 'powered' weapon...mainly because the idea of coming up with a sufficient (or believable) power cell bothers me. Second, I believe the energy field and vibration concepts have already been used in abundance (both in Star Wars literature, if memory serves...and I'm not sure I want my work to resemble that).

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited January 19, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...the problem here is that if there is some kind of energy that could be applied to the blade to suddenly turn it soft, I'd be installing blade countermeasures on armor right and left. Having such a feature would be worse than useless.

As for power requirements...you're dealing with something that has to cut through advanced combat armor. Think for a minute, what makes these blades something you couldn't reasonably shoot out of a gun? Needing a connected power supply is probably as good a reason as any, right? (you can also make them out of something rare/expensive, if you like).

If there is some story critical reason that these blades must be made out of memory alloy or whatever, then damn the torpedos and full speed ahead. But if not, then don't let your being in love with the idea ruin your story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.