Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dying Pets

Author Topic: Dying Pets
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to work on a story that is speculative fiction. My concern is this: in order for there to be a story at all, several of the characters' pets have to die. Not gruesomely, no cruel mistreatment or preventable accidents are involved. The animals die of illness. Now, I've read in more than one place that dying pets are a deal breaker for many readers. I'm just wondering, how many? How many readers have I lost before I even start with this story?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, the answer is "it depends." I recently stopped reading a submission after a few paragraphs because it went into horrifying detail about the deaths of some pets and the state of their decomposing bodies, etc; that might be just what another more horror-oriented market would love to see.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
You've lost none of the readers in your target audience.

Now, you just need to find a publisher that targets your target audience.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd rather read the story once the pets are already deceased, not as they get sick and waste away into death. Too, in the opening, I'd rather not be too deep into the viewpoint character's head.

In high school, I remember a teacher recommending a story by a writer. It involved a man and his dogs tracking over some cold, unforgiving land. And it seemed that the dogs were suffering, so I could not read on.

Human suffering, no problem. I have no sympathy for them...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with killing pets? I kill humans in my stories. Wouldn't THAT be worse? I guess I just don't get it. The only thing I could see turning me off is, as Beth said, unnecessarily gruesome detail.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

You know how you got a little squicked out when I killed off a baby in one of my stories, Christine? (the one from the POV of the evil robot monkey.) But didn't complain about how I also killed off the entire adult population on the earth as well? It's kind of like that. You kill off the cute and defenseless at your own risk (and the more gore and/or cruelty, the higher the risk).

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my stories, the opening scene starts off with the sacrifice of a kitten. The main character, who kills the kitten, is as horrified by the killing as he is convinced that it is necessary. Even though I attempted to show his own disgust, some readers only reacted to what they read.

If he'd killed a rat, it wouldn't have caused that reaction.

I second Beth; kill the cute and defenseless at your peril.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no trouble in seeing animals die in stories. If it's crucial to the story, just as others say don't go into too much detail, just write what the pets died of, then maybe show the human side of it with the pets owner being distraught over the loss.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to ditto the 'it depends' responses. And I agree that the death of an innocent, whether that be pet, child, or handicapped grandmother, is always harder to see/read.

A good example is in the new Battlestar Galactica, during the miniseries/pilot. A Cylon casually snaps the neck of a newborn just to watch it die. This affected me deeply, and even though only a few moments later in the pilot most of the human race is wiped out, which would have included that infant, I wasn't as upset as during the scene where the baby dies.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the emotional investment the character puts into the pets.

But, also, if your character is, say, one of those people who has thirty cats, the reader's "creeped out" feelings might overcome any feelings over the death of the animals. (This doesn't arise if it's multiple characters each with a few pets.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it, I must be a cold hearted bastard. Why are pets so special? I care about people, real people who suffer and die and are conscious that they are suffering and dying.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't get it, I must be a cold hearted bastard. Why are pets so special? I care about people, real people who suffer and die and are conscious that they are suffering and dying.

I guess. Of course if you're writing fiction, it's not real people who are suffering and dying, either...how can you emphasize with them? Or make the reader do so?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

You make them seem real.

Given a real person vs. a real pet, though, I'd save the real person. Pets are secondary.

Although I will have to say they're moreimportant than property. A few months ago on my local news there was a fire that destroyed a man's stables where he kept his horses. The news reporter mentioned that no one was hurt but that there was extensive property damange -- they completely failed to tell me how the horses were doing. I was not happy with them about that.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair warning - We had so many animals at our house that we moved to a farm! So I am highly biased on the pet issue.

quote:

No, not a cold hearted bastard just probably someone without pets or who hasn't lost one that meant something to you yet.

Pets suffer and die and are conscious that they are suffering and dying. When we first moved to the farm one of our older horses colliced. I spent the next 10 hours walking him. All night, the mare kept kicking him in the gut to get things moving again. By morning, while the obstruction was gone, his circulatory system had crashed, the pain medicine had worn off, and he was in pain. He walked to the vet and placed his head on her shoulder for the shot that would put him down because he knew she'd end the pain.

The thing about pets is they are as close to unconditional love as you get (well, except in the case of the formerly abused wolf-hybred I'm trying to rescue - she'll still as likely to try and take a chunk out of me than walk away if she doesn't want any more affection). Babies become kids and then there are issues with the relationship. You never get to the issue stage with pets. They don't judge, they listen to all the stupid stuff you'd tell people if they wouldn't lock you up. In the case of a particularly intuitive cat of mine, he knew when I was upset and would come over to purr at me until I felt better. He was in my life for 12 years.

Pets just work thier way into your life and when they are gone part of you is too.

Also, pets and infants are completely dependant on thier people to care for them. So it is upsetting when something happens to them, especially if that something is malicious.

The scene in Battlestar Galatica mentioned earlier really upset me (as well as the mother's screaming after 9 killed the baby). I didn't stop watching the series though. It's one of my favorite shows.

If you are going to have an animal or baby hurt, make sure it is central to the story and you dwell as little on the actual act as possible. In Galatica the scene lasted about 10-15 seconds and then the world ended. The scene was important to show how the Cylons felt about humans though. The more graphic the scene is the more likely you will lose readers. Just keep in mind that people are a bit nuts about thier pets and there is a real possiblility of turning people off a great story if those elements exist.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

It's interesting that you brought up babies -- since my son is not quite nine months old yet, I don't know how our relationship will change as he grows into childhood and then aulthood, but I do know that there is a huge difference between what I feel about him and what I feel about my two cats. I often hear childless people comparing their pets to children and I always knew the comparison was bad -- now I know just how bad it is!

I would do anything for my son -- and that includes getting rid of the cats. Fortunatley, this is not something I have had to do because I do like the cats but the only unconditional love I feel is for my son. (He makes it easy -- he's such a good baby!)

For a couple of months I wasn't sure how my girl cat was going to be with the baby. When I brought the baby home from the hospital she began to sulk and she was VERY jealous -- so jealous that I was worried and I began to get this surge of protectiveness for my baby and resentment for the cat. Even though she's gotten over her initial jealousy and is pretty good with the baby now, I never have felt the same about her.

I guess I think that's pretty conditional. Or maybe *I'm* the cold one!

TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the king..dogs feel and their loyalty once earned never fades. A story that shows this and the emotions experienced by both parties (human and dog) are interesting - if presented tastefully.

I too have recently adopted a pup from a shelter, and she follows me everywhere I go...she whimpers when she can't see me, when she is hungry or bored...she does a little dance when she sees me, and lays by feet at night (poor dog).

[This message has been edited by TMan1969 (edited August 09, 2006).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Pets Are People, Too...but I'm not inclined to grant / acknowledge the existence of certain rights to animals, that have previously been reserved for human beings.
pantros
Member # 3237

People have a morale responsibility to respect animals and see that they are treated humanely. This includes ensuring the animals recieve a painless death and cooking them in a good marinade.
This doesn't mean building bridges for squirrels because we move all the power lines underground.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Now, pantros, you can overdo marinades. Sometimes you should try hearty stews or sanwiches. A little Greek season can go a long way too.
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
The series finale of M*A*S*H dealt heavily with the effect the killing of a baby by its own mother had on one of the characters. We are stepped up to the fact gradually, so that we are 'ready' to hear it when it comes, but it is still horrifying. (I'm being vague in case you haven't seen it. It was tremendously done.)

My WIP has three baby/young child killings. The first is an execution by a soldier, and is witnessed by the MC. The second happens when she kills several people in a blind rage, and only after she has calmed down does she realize a young child was among them. In both instances, I describe the MC's emotional reactions, not the actual act. The third is done by the villain, who calmly smothers his own newborn child as a way of secretly controlling/hurting his wife. I use his POV to avoid the details. While he is doing it he's thinking about something else - the look on his wife's face when she finds out, how he'll pretend to react, etc. He's not even thinking about the act that he's committing, because with his personality he wouldn't. When it's over, he notes that it's done and goes off about his business.

Personally, I believe that if you are trying to move the reader, less is more. Direct description will affect them directly, and turn them away. Inference will buffer the reader from the off-putting realism, but will have impact because the reader's mind has to fill in the details.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

sojoyful: I hate to say it, but I don't care how bady our protagonist feels about "accidentally" killing a child as part of a fit of rage -- the book is closed and I'm done. May...MAYBE if it was a car accident or something but even then probably not. In fact, I viewed this entire discussion as deaths causd by ANTAGONISTS, which would be difficult to handle but definitely help me to hate the bad guy. You start having the protagonist kill children, babies, or pets and it's a totally different story with a single bottom line: DONE.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 09, 2006).]

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Hmmm. That's good feedback for me to have, Christine.

EDIT: As an aside, my MC is not exactly a sympathetic protagonist, at least not at that stage in her life. We're not supposed to be very happy with some of the things she does. However, your point is well taken.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 09, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

After I wrote that I felt like I should soften it a bit -- I don't mean to say that the story isn't a potentially powerful one, just that I am a part of an audience that you will turn off with the subject matter. I guess that means I'm not actually in your audience.
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I can name a few books that deal with the death of a pet that are much loved classics. "Where the Red Fern Grows" and "Lassie Come Home" There are others--I remember reading them when I was very young. I had tremendous crying spells while reading these books, and many librarians will tell you that children often ask for "something that will make me cry."

But there's no comparison between stories about pets dying and stories about children dying. I am truly tested by any story that involves the death of a child, and any author who writes gory child-murder scenes falls right off my reading list. I've been known to put books in the trash, rather than pass them on to friends or take them to the used book store. And I can't remember, when I was young, reading a single book about a child dying. If I did read one, I don't remember the title or the plot or anything about it. This may be unique to my childhood, such books may be widely read and loved, I just can't name any.

In reading some of these responses, what comes to mind is that perhaps I asked the wrong question. I have an idea for a story, and the story is about a plague that affects cats. So...lots of cats die. This will inevitably rouse strong emotions in some readers, and in some cases these emotions may be strong enough to alienate the reader. Maybe the real question is this: why do I want to write such a story? More precisely, why do I want to SHARE such a story? Just because I have the idea, and the idea is so clear that I can build an entire cast of characters and a plot and a setting, does that mean this story must be written? pantros answered this, in a way, by saying, "You've lost none of the readers in your target audience."

Why do we NEED such stories? The question is mild, until you broaden it to include some of the things this thread has brought up, in particular: "A Cylon casually snaps the neck of a newborn just to watch it die."

I'm not going to go off on a rant against such plots, because some part of me feels like society has always had stories about death and murder, that these stories are somehow important. I'm just interested in your opinions on the topic.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In reading some of these responses, what comes to mind is that perhaps I asked the wrong question. I have an idea for a story, and the story is about a plague that affects cats. So...lots of cats die.

Depending on the POV and rest of the story, the fact that lots of cats die during a plague that I presume an MC somewhere is trying to cure is less troublesome to me at least then an MC who intentionally/ unintentionally hurts cats.

After all Watership Down included the death of lots and lots of rabbits and I still read it, loved the story and watched the animated movie. Why write that story? Because it was a statement of life as we know it written in a way that was less offensive than using humans.

Write it and see what happens.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I am working on a story where in the opening the viewpoint character is immobile with the rest of the passengers of a bus, when a girl runs down the isle, and is followed by a man with a rifle who infers he is about to shoot her. The viewpoint character hears the gunshot, but can't actaully observe the killing. Yet, this girl comes back to life later on in the story. Is this one of those stories that could alienate?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

What Christine is saying that there are unredemable acts: Acts that an MC cannot recover from in the eyes of a reader. If your protagonist commits one of these acts, the story is done for them. Different people have different tolerances and define unredemable differently.

Non protagonists have more leeway in their actions.

Antagonists have far more.

However, everyone also has a tolerance level where just having some action in your story will cause a person to drop the story. Again these levels differ from reader to reader. Generally a genre will establish the basic boundaries - exceed them at your own risk.

Christine
Member # 1646

Exactly!
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

I second Christine's "exactly" to Pantros's response.

Check the "redeeming unlikeable characters" thread too for acts that some of us listed as "unforgivable."

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Pantros: Can it be an exception when the entire story is about that 'unredeemable' character's journey to redemption?
Christine
Member # 1646

sojoyful: You will find some readers. I don't know how many, but I think you will lose a lot of readers too. I have not done market analysis on this and I am no expert. I know it would not work for me. I like to read about people I like, or who at least have some redeeming quality that surmounts their flaws. A search for redemption won't do it for me.

I am actually pretty narrow minded on this topic, to be perfectly honest. I don't generally like books with criminals as the protagonists. I can usually tolerate a thief/pickpocket, especially if they were forced into it because of unfortunate events. But I don't want to be in the head of a protagonist who is a killer...movies are a little easier because I'm not in their heads. I hatd Pulp Fiction for a lot of reasons but I thought Grosse Point Blank was amusing. I think a key difference between the two is that in Grosse Point Blank he didn't assassinate anyone in the movie (even if he did try once).

I was struggling with this one so I read your post to my husband who added this (and he is willing to watch/read things with shadier protagonists than I am) : "What is my incentive for reading the book?" He didn't say no outright but he said there would have to be a heck of a something to make him want to read it. (Just so you have another, more moderat eperspective.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On a plague that kills cats and dogs...one of the (old) "Planet of the Apes" movies mentioned in passing a plauge that killed off all of the cats and dogs [mostly to move the apes to the center of the story as their replacements]...
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

sojoyful, check out the other thread on redeeming unlikable characters. http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/003193.html

I tend to think you can write a story where the action is a person's search for forgiveness for committing unspeakable or unforgivable acts. The movie The Deer Hunter based on the book whose name currently escapes me is this type of journey. Whether or not that journey can be sucessful (i.e. make his/her peace with his/her past bad actions) is a different issue.

If you are going to try it, I would consider "Shakesphere violence" in other words keep the bad or "unforgivable" acts off stage and you need to explore the reasons for the bad acts. THe assassin in Serenity was a bad guy who murdered lots of people to get to River but, we have an almost grudging respect for him because he is acting based on his belief that River must be recaptured and controlled and he lives by his own code of honor. While I'm not sure I would have liked him as an MC, I had a real response to his actions and liked that he was not a two dimensional character.

You are also going to have to be careful about why this character wants to be forgiven. Why does he/she suddenly thing he/she was wrong?

(added link)

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited August 10, 2006).]

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, see I didn't see the entire MASH episode with the baby smothering incident. I only saw a clip of the incident on a tribute show. I already didn't feel very warm and fuzzy toward MASH.

And, uh, My husband and I might be part of an audience of people who could handle a book about pets dying. But I don't know. Is this a book for people who look at pet lovers and say "It's a flippin' animal. Get over it." Well, there goes any political aspirations I might ever have had.

But, yeah, I'm coming to love my children as much as some people love their pets.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is an issue I could judge out of context.

In reality, pets die, and people kill children. In fiction, when those same things happen, it's gonna have an emotional impact on me as a reader, but mostly only insofar as it affects the PoV characters.

So I can see this going in several ways. Note that this is just my two cents, and I stink at being objective, but I'll try anyway.

A) Little Connection to the MC's = little emotional impact, or Why should I care about this?
Cheesy example #1: MC's mother's old dog dies and a vet says it was some weird disease never seen before. All the suffering is offstage and only barely hinted at, if at all. You won't lose any sensitive readers this way, but you might end up making people say "Why should I care?"

Cheesy example #2: Kid dies offscreen. The fact is mentioned but no one in the story really reacts any more than if someone mentioned "The sky is blue today."

B) Strong emotional impact, or Is this writer some kind of sadistic pervert?
Cheesy example #1: Elderly MC cares tenderly for his/her pet since he/she has no other living relations; pet's condition gets worse and worse; every step of the illness, every putrid sore and whimper-inducing wound is described in detail; pet dies and MC tries to give it a proper burial but is too weak from grief and instead makes a funeral pyre for it out of old newspapers with headlines about mutating bird flu. There's a lot of graphic detail in this one, and a lot of gut-wrenching dialogue, etc etc. All in all, it's too over-the-top and turns off a large audience out of either disgust or disbelief in such melodrama.

Cheesy example 2: Same thing, but with a child or infant in place of Fido.

Or, C) The event happens, and the MC reacts much the same as I the reader might, making me care more about the MC in the process.

In sojoyful's WIP, the MC witnesses a child's murder, then later, inadvertently kills a child herself. The same feelings of outrage/horror could jumpstart the MC's path to redemption ("omigod I can't believe I did that. I have to get my temper under control or who knows what I might do next.") This kind of reaction would also make me lean more in sympathy toward the character. But moderation in all things. A little subtlety goes a long way.

What do you all think?

[This message has been edited by DeepDreamer (edited August 10, 2006).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, killing a child pretty much ends the "Who knows what I may do next" progression. But maybe I'm close-minded.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

My husband is a Guardian at Litem ("GAL"), which is a laywer who is hired by the Court to represent a minor's interest in litigation whether it be the parent's divorce or criminal charges against the child. Even Malvo (DC area sniper spree shooter) had a GAL because he was 17. My husband also does criminal defense work. He says he hates the kid cases where a child is injured or killed because the jury ALWAYS wants retribution. His exact words are "they (the jury members) aren't sane."

Hercules had to undergo 12 impossible labors to be forgiven for the murder of his family even though the Furies had driven him insane and he truely wasn't responsible for thier deaths.

I have a friend who is not capable of watching any movie/show or reading any book where children are in danger/likely to be hurt or killed.

Sometimes it is necessary to the plot for bad things to happen to the helpless. Just keep in mind why and that people are likely to respond emotionally whenever it happens. How strongly they react is going to be dependant on what happens, the detail used, the MC's reaction to it and why it happened.

DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka: So let me get this straight: You see it merely as progression of action minus the intent. In your mind, someone kills a child, there's nothing worse she can do.

In the mind of the killer, however, she isn't seeing it like that. She'll be "I killed a child without meaning to. Will I be like Evil Antagonist and kill children in cold blood?" And that's the reaction I need to feel out of her to make her a protagonist to root for: someone who may have sunk low enough to feel the bedrock beneath her feet but who is willing to climb back up anyway, and somewhere along the way take down that despicable infant-smothering Evil Guy.

So pretty much I'm saying I'd read both Novice's and Sojoyful's stories without qualm, (skimming over anything graphic; I have a vivid enough imagination as it is.) But not everyone would be. It doesn't matter, though. If those are the stories you are trying to write, don't worry about audience and just write them. Write it well and people will read it.

[This message has been edited by DeepDreamer (edited August 11, 2006).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

If someone kills a child, they may be able to redeem themselves enough that when they die heroically to save the rest of the planet, we will think they were a good hero. But they have to die and though they will be a good hero, they will never really be an acceptable human being again.

But I stopped reading Raymond E Feist after he destroyed a child character. I never did figure out what happened to the kid. It's a shame because I liked his one series of books. Here we are talking a writer destroying a fictional child. Even that was morally rephrehensible enough to me to stop reading his books.

So be aware that there are lines readers will not appreciate you crossing. Stay consistant with your genre and know your audience to know where those lines will be.

DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

Equivalent Trade then: To redeem this MC who kills a child without meaning to, MC must die a martyr's death to save the world. Kinda limits a writer's plot choices, don't you think?

Something doesn't seem very equal about that equation. Now I'm not some cruel heartless witch, but are you saying that the loss of life of any child is only equal in worth to an adult losing his life to save the world?

Child's death = messiah's death

What about the price in suffering of the MC? Are we equating youth with some archetypical idea of snow-white innocence?

I guess I can't help but think about a similar situation in the series FullMetal Alchemist. I'm been a bit obsessed with this series lately. I'll try and keep the spoilers down, but you've been forewarned.

In the anime, I was always ambivalent about the character Lt. Colonel Roy Mustang. He was ambitious and cunning, sarcastic and conniving, and he jerked Edward Elric around.

In the war in Ishbal, Major Roy Mustang (I assume he got his promotion later) was faced with a situation where a Ishballan child held a gun on him. We see the terror on the child's face, we see Mustang falter, unable to bring himself to kill this child.

The child starts to pull the trigger, and Mustang reacts.

We can infer that the child died although it's not shown. The child's death has a profound affect on Roy, and it shows. And in fact, the fact that he suffers tremendous guilt and shame, and apparently has PostTraumatic Stress Disorder with paralyzing flashbacks because of this one event, is enough to redeem him in my eyes. At least for a little while. [spoiler]At least until we learn that Roy, acting on orders, killed Winry's parents, who as doctors in the Ishballan war treated enemy and ally alike...and many of those enemies healed well enough to turn around and kill more allies. Then I'm back to being ambivalent again.[/spoiler]

You have a good point here, pantros:

quote:
But they have to die and though they will be a good hero, they will never really be an acceptable human being again.

I agree in principle, but for me, this applies to a character who has killed ANYONE, not just a child.

And yes, there are lines writers might cross while writing anything remotely significant, be it death or life or life beyond the grave, but I refuse to powderpuff my stories. I won't write candy. I want to write something with some meat in it; something people will be chewing over for awhile. I want something with some substance, because as a reader, whether or not I agree with the writer/storyteller, I want to read something that challenges my normal way of thinking. Those are the stories that stick with me forever.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I wasn't aiming to be a hero anyway.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.