Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Re: Writing Schools

Author Topic: Re: Writing Schools
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you heard anything about the Long Ridge Writers Group and The Institute of Children's Lit? I am thinking of taking their courses and I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with them or heard neg/pos things about them..thanks
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I graduated from Long Ridge Writers Group Breaking into Print course in 1999. It is a good primer. It will get you started in the right direction, but it won't turn you into a pro. It's the beginning of a writing education, not the end, but it should get you to journeyman level.

Feel free to email any further questions to me.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for certain how good the Children's Institute is but I do have a story about them that's near and dear to my heart. I've been wanting to write for most of my life. When I was eleven I took their little writing exam and sent it in to see what they'd say.

I got a very nice letter in return from one of the bigwigs at the Institute, saying that unfortunately their age cutoff was 16 or they would have accepted me, but that I had talent and to keep working on it.

It actually was a good thing I wasn't accepted, I had no money and neither did my folks. But the letter was pretty special to me anyway.

Now, I suppose they may have just been saying that because no one wants to crush the dreams of a child. Or because they aren't legit and tell everyone they have talent. I don't know. Good luck researching and I'm actually curious if anyone has any concrete info about them myself.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Long Ridge and Children's Institute are run by the same people. They are a legitimate They kept their promise of two publishable manuscripts by the time I graduated. One was an assignment, one was not. Both were non-fiction.

The instructor seemed to know what he was talking about, though I should go back and look again. I did most of the course in 1995-6 before I started my masters degree.

I've often wondered where the draw the line ontheir evaluations. The critiques were never harsh, though the suggestions were solid. Harsh critique is bad for business, I suppose. I recall being asked to do one assignment over, so I think they really do want to teach. I suppose it depends on the instructor you end up with. Mary Rusenblum is their online moderator,and she is certainly a legitimate speculative fiction writer (see this month's Locus).

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited November 22, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently enrolled in LRWG, and I hate it. There's nothing really bad about it, but it's not all that great. Sure, everyone there is super-helpful. They really want you to succeed, and give you a lot of tools to help you do so.

But it's nothing a good critiquer couldn't do. I hate the assignments (the shorter the story I try to write, the worse it is, and they want 2k words or less, usually 1k.) And their "good examples" really suck. There's one memorable one I really despised, on writing hooks, which is a paragraph about a Christmas present of a red truck, better and redder than anything else.

I not only would have skipped reading the article this hook went to, I'd have shuddered over any pictures illustrating this sickenly-sweet warping of Christmas.

Maybe it's that I'm sick of seeing stores sell Christmas decorations in early October. Maybe it's that I just don't get into the whole "Christmas spirit" until the week in which Christmas actually occurs, because the whole lengthening of the Christmas season just waters it down.

Maybe it's that I really hate the accompanying assignment: Write an entry paragraph for an article or story, research magazines from their book of Markets (most of the ones that looked interesting, I couldn't find) and outline the rest of the story to submit as a query to one of those magazines.

Hooks are usually the LAST thing I write, my outlines are written in stream-of-consciousness on a separate page below the story document, and I know who I want to sell to. Too bad they aren't in the book.

Okay, enough of my assuredly-biased ranting. I'm just fixed in my ways... I write the way I write, period. I've found that writing any other way leads to writer's block. Outlines in outline form stifle my creativity. The pressure to write a good hook makes me want to avoid it altogether. All my "short stories" have turned out to be great longer stories in disguise. In short, I'm frustrated, and "overdue" no longer applies to that hook assignment. I am purposefully putting it off until the end of time, and time ends today.

So yeah. It may be good for most beginning writers, isn't enough of a challenge in the right ways for me, (I'd do better with an instructor like Survivor.. the harder to please, the harder I'd work ^_^) and everything they can teach me, I pretty much learned already from lurking around here.

Good luck, TMan. Hope it goes well with you if you decide to take a course. I'd probably love their novel course, which is why I'm gonna force myself to finish this one and then take that one. No word limit = no creativity limit. ^_^

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now this hardly seems like the most appropriate way to celebrate the day Jesus was born.

That kinda sums up my feelings about a lot of Gorkamorkamus.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

I am not sure yet, and I have to deploy overseas soon..maybe after that, we'll see. I will writing and keep coming here, its been alot of help - as well keep reading. Thanks all for your kind help and assistance
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the Wrters Digest novel school. In the end I figured out that all they plan to do is hold you hand and mouth encouragement to get you to FINISH the novel. NOthing really about how to improve it.

I felt I was burned.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

I have done some research on the Long Ridge school on-line and I haven't found anything negative, that really stood out - they don't promise you will get published, only that they help you along and give you the neccessary tools to get there...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.