Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Reading over my shoulder

Author Topic: Reading over my shoulder
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my husband and I have been having this little debate for a while now, and I need my fellow writers to back me up.

In short, we only have one computer (no laptop) and it is in the basement. In the evenings, I like to go down there to write. My husband, rather than sit upstairs alone, comes down to work on his med school homework. Trouble is, the way the room is situated (and its a small basement, so we simply cannot rearrange) the couch faces the computer screen, and my husband can at any time, glance up and read the screen as I write.
This makes me really squeamish. I can't stand writing, knowing that he could read over my shoulder. He promises that he doesn't and whatnot, and is annoyed because he believes I just am making up an excuse to not be around him.
I explained that, while I want him to read my work, there is something very exposing and awkward about him having the ability to read while I am in the process. He thinks I am being silly, but I assured him that probably many writers would agree with me. Thus, I am here at Hatrack to gather proof. Or, be proven wrong once and for all.

Do you guys feel the need to be alone when writing? Or at least, have total screen privacy? Am I alone on this one?

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found I can't write with other people around. Usually it's because they tie up my time, but even if I can slip away to my computer while they're there I can't. I need privacy, and a house devoid of people other than me, to make the magic work.

I suppose if I had been constantly surrounded by people, or gotten married, or set up shop in a college dorm, or something, I'd've been able to overcome this. I started writing in a house full of people, and moved (after a few twists and turns) to a house not full of people. This just developed.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need total screen privacy, but I do recognize that it is a significant factor for most writers and I make an attempt to avoid placing myself where I can look at someone's screen.

It's also very bad feng shui to attempt any activity with an unnecessary person behind you. Particularly someone that you can't readily ignore totally. Your husband is actually arguing out of both sides of his mouth on this one, without realizing it. He's there because he wants you to be paying attention to him, if you were capable of completely ignoring him and writing as though he wasn't there, he'd be very hurt and offended (which would be extremely bad, because he'd have no "legitimate" reason for this feeling and thus wouldn't be able to discuss it with you).

The basic conflict is that he likes to have you around as a minor distraction from his homework, and you don't want any distractions from your writing. I'd suggest that you try moving some other task (one which doesn't require your total attention) into that time slot and go ahead and spend time with him while he does his homework. If it's a task that you can more reasonably present as a vital necessity for your continued life together, that's even better. After doing that, if he persists in following you down and distracting you while you're writing, ask why he feels a constant need for your attention. Ask honestly, looking for a real answer, and ready for a real discussion of something important to both of you. But only if changing the scheduling of your time doesn't fix things...he probably has times when he doesn't feel like distracting you, most men do.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It would bother me, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Even at work I don't perform as well with someone over my shoulder. I make mistakes, make typos, etc, even if they're not reviewing my performance.

At home I can write just fine with my wife in the room, as long as her back is towards me.

But you can't kick your husband out of the room, either. Men are more needy than most would ever admit (I miss my wife terribly when she's at work and I'm not). So, you need to find a way to have him in the room but not looking at the screen. Even if his back is turned to you. There has to be a way to slightly rearrange or move the computer to another room.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't perform basic arithmetic if someone is looking... Ok, this is extreme, but it bothers some people when someone _read_ over their shoulders, and clearly, writing requires a lot more concentration than that.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
bothers me.

Bothers me too when someone finds an unfinished story on the computer and reads it when I'm not around.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Invest in a privacy screen/filter for your monitor. They're available at most office supply stores. He won't be able to read the screen unless he get directly behind you and at eye level.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem for me isn't so much if my wife CAN read behind me, it's just that she COULD, or if she's too close. It's a distraction.

My wife knows not to read my stuff until I let her. I'm self-conscious about it.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
To write I must be UTTERLY ALONE, surrounded by ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL SILENCE!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lucky enough to be young enough and not making enough money at the moment to move out of home to be able to have my own computer in my bedroom, where I can write even when everyone in my family's home. Regardless of how much noise there is, how annoying they are I can still write, not to the best of what I can do.

Also, I can't write in absolute silence, the keys clicking whilst typing is enough to drive me crazy, so loud music with my sub-woofer pounding is what I need to write.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to move either the computer or the husband.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmckendry
Member # 4936

- posted      Profile for kmckendry   Email kmckendry         Edit/Delete Post 
Your husband is right, as all husbands are.

Okay, enough with the fantasy.

The story that I'm working on is one my wife read 20 years ago. Even so, I am not comfortable with her reading it until I am done writing it. However, I am comfortable if my daughter is looking over my shoulder. It has something to do with the relationship of my wife and I that makes it uncomfortable to the point that I could not be writing if she was looking over my shoulder.

Keith

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't do it.

The thought of someone reading anything I've written without its being PERFECT TO THE LAST (capitalized/italicized to emphasize just how freakin' perfect it has to be) makes me all kinds of nervous, which is why I either don't have stories on the family computer (for some casual explorer to find), or I put passwords on them.

Of course, it's also why I've yet to submit so much as a short story, but I'm strangely okay with that.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
I can do it if I absolutely have to but I don't like it and I'm not sure my work is very good when I do.

I recently took my laptop to a Starbuck's and put it on a table that faced the wall. Behind me, about 10 feet away, two women sat talking in club chairs. It was a creepy feeling, knowing they could look and see what I was doing; like I was on stage and being judged. It was hard to focus and get into my character. After an hour or so I left knowing I had not done my best. The experience was not fulfilling. If I had to write under those conditions every day I would not be a writer at all. I don't know how you get any writing done.

This brings to mind my college days when I thought I wanted to be a journalist. All the computers were in one big room; a press room of sorts, where everyone could work on their stories for the different sections of the college newspaper. I preferred to write mine at home with no one around rather than have people stop by and look at what I was doing. It was just too hard to think with people coming and going with their various projects and talking, etc.

The very worst though, was when I had to fill in on many occasions for the person who had neglected to write the editorial. I had to sit in the editor's office and literally bang out an editorial in an intelligent manner in 45-60 minutes in time to send to the printer with the rest of the paper. Every 5 minutes the editor would be asking if I was done yet, or how many inches I had; did I sum up yet? And people coming and going. Aargh! It actually was good practice to finish pieces under pressure and was probably why I was able to work at Starbuck's like I did several years later. But at the same time, that experience with people around looking over my shoulder and withstanding the pressure was the reason I opted not to be a journalist. I wanted peace and my own pace in which to write.

As for fiction, none of my writer friends write with people in the room, especially behind them. In the best of relationships, it's an unsettling feeling having those pair of eyes behind you capable of looking right through your head and into your psyche. At the worst, it's creepy, like a Steven King novel brewing at your backside.

On a more scientific level, I think it's difficult to break the connection with the live person in the room in order to connect personally with your story and the characters in it. Your story is a whole other world and a writer who does a good job must mentally disconnect completely in order to hear and interpret what their characters are doing and saying. A writer has to be there and how can we do that with a live reminder of the present hovering at our backs?

When I had to write with people in the room, I found it helpful to put on a pair of noise reduction headphones and play instrumental music I liked.

Some of my friends are able to do this. Most like it completely quiet.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my wife to be in the same room as long as she is doing something so that I don't have to keep talking to her when I'm trying to write. I also find it extremely usefull to be able to ask her to read a paragraph I've just written as I like to have a second opinion as to whether I'm being clear.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely cannot have anyone around who could possibly look at my screen while I write. They can be in the same room, but being in looking-position is a no-no. One exception to this is my father--when I lived at home, I used to be able to write in the living room while he watched tv. But I think that's because I can be assured that his attention is more focused elsewhere. Also, he's not a writer (or a reader, really) so I knew he couldn't even *think* critical things. (Of course nobody you care about would *say* them, especially if not asked, but the idea that someone could *think* them when it's just my rough draft...can't stand the idea of it.)

That said, it actually keeps me more on-target to have people in the same room. It's harder for me to find distractions, because people will notice if I'm not working. I had a similar Starbucks experience, but once I turned so that my back was against the wall, it turned into one of the most productive writing sessions I had had in a while.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to write in bookstores and various other places. The Dayton NaNoWriMo group gets together at a Panera on Tuesdays and Sundays. I went to one such gathering and learned they expected to be able to WRITE there! I had brought my laptop and tried to work, but I couldn't do it.

When my hubby comes into my office and putters around (he has a desk in here too that he rarely uses - he uses his laptop in the living room via the wireless network), I have to stop working and see what he's doing. It creeps me out to have someone behind me.

I have to have easy-listening music playing softly to be able to write well. When I'm sculpting, I listen to Enya, Josh Groban, Il Divo, some classical stuff, some John Denver, Air Supply, America, Basia, etc., The same music soothes my creative muse when I'm writing.

When we're traveling by vehicle, I can write all day and into the night while my hubby drives. Both of us are happy this way, since he's a quiet man and doesn't miss the conversation. The only other way I can work with him around is if I'm on my laptop at the kitchen counter or on the couch, and he's on his laptop as well, fully involved in what he's doing. But I nearly always use such time to edit and revise, not do original writing.

Set something up so he's not BEHIND you. I think even if you had that filter screen on your monitor, it would still bother you that he's behind you, even if, like my hubby, he has no interest in what you're writing. You don't need that kind of distraction.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that the problem is that wrenbird's hubby obviously wants to distract her. Any solution that simply tries to allow him to be in the room without distracting her sort of misses this essential point...he has no reason to be in that room at that time, except to interact with her. Simply finding a way to eliminate the current interaction will not resolve the basic difficulty here.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Survivor, I agree - and perhaps he wants HER to distract HIM from his homework! Bad, bad hubby!!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I can't even have a decent online experience if I know there are other people in my house.

It's all a lot like [here I'm suppressing something nasty 'cause we all agreed to keep our posts clean. But it'd be a really good metaphor.]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I've never understood the impulse to compare the activity of writing (even online) to various messy bodily functions.
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
It's more a matter of spousal closeness than comparing writing to using "the facilities". If you don't like that comparison, I think we can all agree that it's not much fun to engage in any work, or many recreations while being watched by someone who isn't participating. Though maybe if we were really confident in our quality, it would be like being a professional athlete. If we were really confident, like a bowler. I was about to say no one is expected to make every goal, but then I remembered bowling.

But I ran across the quote by Virginia Woolf about "a room of one's own" and all I could think about that was "way to restrict fiction writing to the effete upper class." I guess Nanowrimo trained me to write no matter what is going on about me. Of course, I'm not published or anything, so what do I know.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited February 09, 2007).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

I cringe at the thought of someone peering over my shoulder while I'm tapping out the early drafts of a story, nobody reads my stuff until it's gone through a certain amount of de-cheesing.

Incidentally one evening I invited a few friends back to my place after a night of boozing and had stupidly left a print of a first draft lying around, one of them proceeded to read the first paragraph out loud in a mocking voice before I managed to wrestle it away from him.

I'm still having nightmares

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited February 09, 2007).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
When I write I am usually in the barracks and there is a lot of people around. I have come to be able to write with the noise and the constant reading over the shoulder. With time you will be able to write with things like this and not mind. I find it helps to play music with headphones on. Hope I was of some assistance.
Rommel Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's nice to see that somebody picked up on my metaphor without having to go into disgusting details...or at least substituted a similar metaphor.

I can't see writing as analogous to sports---the circumstances of sports just about require an audience, but writing, when you get down to it, doesn't. (It may get one later, but writing-as-writing doesn't need it.) The training that makes an athlete is similar, though.

(I'm only a spectator to sports myself, not a participant, as a general rule. Long ago, after taking bowling as a PE requirement in college, I swore I'd never pick up a bowling ball and heave it down the alley again as long as I lived. But there are other things I might be more willing to try.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.