Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A problem I don't expect to have

Author Topic: A problem I don't expect to have
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
... but interesting to read anyway:
LA Times article: Eaten Alive in the Studio Jungle

Gist is "why authors won't make money with movie deals (the movie won't make a net profit, ever.)"

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor I.

The economic systems involved in art are very interesting to me. It is very interesting how they vary from authors, musicians, actors, etc... It might make for an interesting lecture.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really need one more reason not to like Disney.

I hope that one day the fact that "net profits" are worthless will come in handy for me...you never know!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me wonder how JK Rowling managed such lucrative deals . . .

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
She had companies bidding against each other for her work.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the saga of Art Buchwald, who sued for his cut of the profits from Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America"---not plagiarism, but their promise to develop a movie for Murphy from Buchwald's idea and then cutting him out of the financial picture---Buchwald won, and then the studio claimed a movie that took in, oh, about three hundred and fifty million dollars gross, didn't make any money.

Buchwald could probably have settled for fairly big bucks at any point along the way---but he always refused to sign a confidentiality agreement about it, being a writer and reporter and not wanting to be inhibited. This held things up and let the case go to the mat and the studios go to the mattresses---simply because they didn't dare have their arcane accounting practices studied or questioned by impartial non-Hollywood judges.

Studios complain about losing money on movies---but the truth is they skim something off the top in overhead, take no risk, and suffer no losses. When dealing with Hollywood, always get your money upfront, never sell all rights to anything, and see that what rights you do sell revert back to you after a specific time.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip L
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Phillip L   Email Phillip L         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the same thing happened to Christopher Paolini. It's almost like he signed with the first studio that came to him and ended up with a total atrocity for a movie. I mean, it was nothing like the book at all, except for a boy and his dragon. Anyway, I don't know how much he made off of the movie, and I don't know if he signed for a good deal or not, all I know is that I will never let some studio take my story and butcher it like Fox did Eragon. If anything, I will do What Mr. Card is doing and write the script myself and hold out for a producer that might actually care about good story telling.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"When it comes to authors, they have sweated to create characters that resonate with a large audience. They have created a whole world. And they should be paid for it."

Of course I'm biased, but I think that, sensibly, most people would agree with the above statement.

The contrary reality shows the value we put on creative individuals. There's this perception, I think, that they're a dime a dozen - anyone could sit down and crank off a bestseller! (And looking at the quality of some NYT bestsellers these days, maybe they're right :P)

Depressing news.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if the same thing happened to Christopher Paolini. It's almost like he signed with the first studio that came to him and ended up with a total atrocity for a movie. I mean, it was nothing like the book at all, except for a boy and his dragon. Anyway, I don't know how much he made off of the movie, and I don't know if he signed for a good deal or not, all I know is that I will never let some studio take my story and butcher it like Fox did Eragon. If anything, I will do What Mr. Card is doing and write the script myself and hold out for a producer that might actually care about good story telling.

Given the quality of his writing, I would say that Paolini has already gotten more then he diserves. (I despise Eragon)

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's be honest. If Hollywood came a-knocking and offered me up-front money of £200,000.(and no-one else was bidding against them) for the opportunity to butcher my book, I would give then some serious consideration.
After all everyone knows movies are never as good as the book and no-one will blame the writer. Plus the movie (even if it is bad) will generate more book sales.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any examples where an author approached Hollywood (or some indie filmmakers) to have their movie made, and things turned out well?

I know in Japan they've taken several novels, usually fantasy, and have made them into respectable television series, both live-action and animated. That doesn't seem to happen as much here...

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the lesson here is if you are looking to sell your works to be a movie is to keep an eye on foreign markets. I would not mind selling my works to a foreign market if they would be better to me.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The writers who had the best luck in Hollywood, financially if not artistically, were usually guys like Sidney Sheldon and Harold Robbins, who had worked in the industry before turning to bestselling writing and knew how to make it work for them...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.