Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Readability Scale; how dumb is too dumb?

Author Topic: Readability Scale; how dumb is too dumb?
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Readability scales; how dumb is too dumb?

I’ve been polishing my latest novel, and when I check for grammar (it does help with my comma issues) I always find myself looking at the readability scale and such. I know the scales aren’t perfect, and all, but I was told that between 5-10 should be the norm. I have never seen the 5; the highest chapter I’ve written is 4.8, the average around 3.5, and 90% readability. Alright, I like the readability that is what everyone who has read my work likes, the prose flows. But, the 3.5? is it too dumb, I’m not righting a kids novel. Its sword and sorcery, and while not grotesque violence, it is violent, and heads roll, and blood sprays.

This is my third novel, so I feel I have found my voice, and am comfortable with it, but still at times, I can’t help but wonder if it reads too easy.

I know the scales are based on sentence length, and syllables per word and such, so they would be effected I would assume like everything we write, by our characters. Meaning a rocket scientist would use bigger words than a five year old, and that would effect the scale, right? And a basic soldier, would think, speak, and see his environment and situations around him, more basic, and in simpler terms than a military strategist.

Any thoughts?

Edited: rather interesting, after posting went back to 1st chapter of my first book, more mature characters and it rated 5.8 on the scale, so maybe it is just a reflection of the scenes and characters involved.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited April 22, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it matter?
You can create really confusing, really conceptual work using short words. They can also be used to create intense, vibrant worlds. I'd be more concerned if the grade was way too high, since that might actually be a barrier to enjoyment.

Edit: What you should do is boost the level by trawling through your novel and seeding it with really long words, like photosynthesis :P

[This message has been edited by smncameron (edited April 22, 2008).]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem, Tiergan. All of my short stories and my novel (and a few other partials) all rank high on Flesch Reading Ease ( 81 & 69) and low on the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level (6 & 8). Of course, when I run my most recent papers I've written (The Personal Tax Implications of Executive Compensation Plans: 38-13, and A New GAAP for Small Enterprises: 40-13) the reverse is true.

Which would you rather read?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, my most recent piece scores 88 on readability, and 3 on grade level (for folks with Gmail you open your piece as a Google document, go to word count, and see the results.)

But keep in mind there's readability, and then there's sophistication. My goal is to strive for both. I'm not interested in fancy words, I'm interested in the right words, and artistry in the crafting.

I suspect Hemingway would scale pretty low on these tests too. Though he used many words and few sentences, he used as many one-syllable words. This style bothers quite a few people, but he is hailed as a classic, so there you have it.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 22, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Take those scores with pride, as a mark of craftsmanship. Lots of people can write about sophisticated ideas using sophisticated language. It takes an artist to write about sophisticated ideas using simple language.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but still at times, I can’t help but wonder if it reads too easy.

What do your readers or critquers think? I believe they will be a far more reliable guide to readability, rhythm and flow than a computer. And better for your self confidence.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.