Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Medieval Europe meets smoking?

Author Topic: Medieval Europe meets smoking?
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set of characters who have, effectively, traveled back in time to the days of serfs, manors, swords, knights, and castles. But I'm wondering how the people of the era would respond to the "new" technology they encounter. Everything from strange clothing, to firearms, to cigarettes. It would be say to do like many writers and just say "their firesticks" or something, but then I got to thinking that primitive civilizations in the Americas have been smoking, in one form or another, for a long time. Is this true of Europe as well? Would some people of that era understand what smoking was, even if they thought the form of a cigarette was alien to them?

Other things as well. Metal, horseless vehicles, guns, etc.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Newhart had it right: (scroll down to transcript of his comedy sketch) -- we'd have been utterly bemused by the concept of lighting a tube of leaves and sucking on it:

http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/1003044449-4450.html

Smoking started in the Americas, wasn't known in Europe until we sailed across the Pond.

http://www.forestonline.org/output/page34.asp
http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=370

Before tobacco, we just got drunk.
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/controversies/1114796842.html

Hope thish 'elps, burp, hic, slides to the floor,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Their reaction to technology would, I think, depend largely on their religion. If it happened to be a Catholic civilization, they'd even see them has heralds of God or something of the like, or they could denounce them as minions of satan; it all depends on the explorers' attitude, whether openly laic, (read: heretics) or religious, falsely or otherwise.

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
No hard data, but I've often wondered if there was any pre-Columbian smoking going on in medieval Europe and historical points back and beyond. Smoking seemed to fill a niche...but if so, what was in the niche before?

It's been stated-without-dispute that tobacco was introduced to the Old World from the New World right after 1492...but it's been just as stated-beyond-dispute that certain venerial diseases rode back with Columbus...until some recent research indicated its presence a century or so before that point. Smoking, too?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Shamans burned and inhaled herbs for a long time before smoking pipes became fashionable in Europe. I wouldn't be at all surprised if smoking tobacco in Europe became fashionable due to its lesser potency than most shamanistic herbs.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that tobacco won't grow here in Europe, so prior to 1492 we simply didn't have it. The niche before was alcohol--in many, delightful forms. Even monks made it!

I suspect smoking became popular in Europe because first a King, then a Csar and finally the Pope declared it Sinful:

http://www.forestonline.org/output/page34.asp

(In true British fashion, the King changed his mind when he realised he could tax it.)

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
So back before 1492, in all social circumstances where somebody would've lit up a cigarette, they instead drank?

Come to think of it, certain recreational drugs would probably have been smoked---I don't mean crystal meth, but something like marijuana or opium. Where were their origins? When and how did they reach Europe?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

We had opium in various forms for a long while:
http://opiates.net/

Interestingly, we used opium as a cure for various ailments and didn't think you could get addicted to a cure.

Hash seems to have arrived in Europe a little later:
http://www.concept420.com/marijuana_cannabis_history_timeline.htm

Cheers,
Pat

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
The people would probably burn the newcomers at the stake for being witches or demons, or at a minimum heretics. Smoking would probably just seem odd, but a cigarette lighter ...
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
What if they're accustomed to magic?
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
AH the feel of smoke filling my lungs ans Nicaten calming my brain.

i love smoking, been smoking for 11 years half my life. being deployed i smoke more than ever. almost a pack a day. everything i gan get, Marlborl, Cammel, Newport, Kools, disgusting 88Milds, Zest and what ever the Locals are selling at their on post shop.

i think smoking is good for you, it relaxes, helps head aces and makes you feel better after a fire fight, and it looks cool in picters when you are gunning the .50cal with a pack of Maarlborl Reds in your helmt band.
just my .02C

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
You're free to smoke if you like, but it isn't good for you. I promise.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.