Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novelette?

Author Topic: Novelette?
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about two thirds done with a short story and it's looking like it's going to be around 11,000 words. I'm sure I will be able to trim it down some, but I doubt I can shave off enough to get it into the 7,500 word limit that most magazines have for short stories.

So, my story will probably be stuck as a novelette. I'm wondering what the market is for those? Pretty bad, I imagine. Do any of you know? How hard is it to sell a 10 or 11k story? Would I stand a much better shot at publication if I hack it down to 7k?

If it makes a difference, the story is sci-fi (dystopian,) and very much character driven.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Analog and Asimov's publish novelettes in pretty much every issue.

The May 2009 issue of Analog comprises four novelettes and three short stories. It doesn't include bios, so we can't tell which if any are from previously unpublished writers.

The Jan 2009 issue of Asimov's carries two novelettes and four shorts. One of the shorts is the writer's first publication; all the other stories are from writers with previous publication credits.

I believe a story has a "natural" length. If it were me, I'd complete the first draft and then (because I know my writing benefits from an axe-like red pencil) I'd edit it down and try for 7500 words because I imagine that length might be slightly easier to sell--though not much; when selling is so hard for a new writer anyhow, I doubt it would make much difference.

Rather, I'd do my best to make it stand out from other works and be as long or as short as it needs to be. I like to think that if the story is really good one editor or another will buy it regardless of length (as long as it's not verbose, of course). An editor wants the best stories in each issue, and enough "names" to sell it.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited June 21, 2009).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Thanks! You gave me a lot of good stuff to think about.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my last two finished things weighed in at twenty thousand words each. I knew it was an already-slim shot made slimmer by the length, but I took a chance.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, your chances are slimmer, but certainly not impossible. Plug that 11000 word count into the Duotrope search engine and the list of available mags suddenly shrinks. Scary! That's why it's ever so important that every word and metaphor and image and line of dialog be polished to it's most brilliant shine. How's that for a bad metaphor? (teehee) Cut, cut, cut, revise, revise. Don't rush submitting, but don't neglect it either just b/c that short list looks hopeless.

Just be sure to submit to every one of those mags on the list that match your genre and word count--even if your story doesn't seem to be the perfect fit. You might be surprised by who sends you the acceptance letter. Learned that lesson in the most pleasant way, I have.

The first story I sold was about 8.5 k words. The second was a whopping 25k! Even fewer mags except novellas, but they DO except no-names like me. Try a younger magazine who has less reputation at risk. And start with the paying markets. Why not?

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited June 24, 2009).]

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, a novelette usually has a different structure from a short story. A novelette may have more characters, a grander scope, even multiple plotlines.

In some critique sessions I have come across a short story disguised as a novelette; in fact I have written some myself. These had the structure of a short story but rambling exposition. That is the bane of speculative fiction: having so many ideas for my milieu that I need 7,500 words for plot and another 7,500 words for exposition. My ideas may be brilliant, but brilliant ideas do not add up to a good story.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Thanks Robert, CL Lynn, and Doc Brown. I really appreciate the comments. I'm definitely new to the short story world. Any advice helps.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.