Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Let's talk grammar (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Let's talk grammar
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona> I agree that the sentence I picked on is awful, but for an entirely different reason. I understand the sentence completely with respect to what each 'he' and 'him' actually refers to, but the sentence as a whole doesn't make sense because I can't work out what actually happened. Inigo killed the 6-fingered man, I get that, but there's something else he did that I can't quite figure out... but that has nothing to do with the use of pronouns.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, what do people think about a mixture between passive and active voice? While reading some books on writing I have read examples where they were intermixed. I liked the way it flowed, but that was one opinion. What do the experts think?
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, fix the passive voice. But not at the expense of the mood, weight and feel of the sentence.

Daovinci, that's why I said "Unless the context is hurt by the change." However, we're looking at a sentence ripped from it's context, so we can only deal with the mechanics, and the standard best for a sentence is active voice.

I was just razzing you a little, Jules, although while I was getting dinner last night I realized I hadn’t put a little winky face on my reply and hoped you wouldn’t take it wrong. I hope you didn’t.

quote:
"Inigo wounds the six-fingered man {in} each of the places he wounded him before he kills him"

How do you understand completely what’s going on here, even pronoun-wise? Did Inigo wound Six-fingers where Inigo had wounded Six-fingers before or where Six-fingers wounded Inigo before? Did Inigo wound Six-fingers before Inigo killed Six-fingers or did Inigo wound Six-fingers before Six-fingers killed Inigo? I’m guessing you’re seeing the confusion with “before.” Does “before” go with “{where} he wounded him before” or “{where} he wounded him, before he kills him.” Again, clarity rules.

I’m not sure what you mean, LordD. As we’ve established, passive voice isn’t taboo and actually has its uses. Dialogue would be one, since people speak like people speak, though the usual cleaning up should be done as for uhs and ums – a little reality goes a long way. Are you talking equal mixtures of active and passive?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHICH and THAT are both relative pronouns--WHICH should be used only for inanimate objects (bricks, tables, pudding and, yes, hair), while THAT can be used for people, places or things.

NO--this is not right--you do not say The people that were in the room. It is The people who were in the room.

A general rule of thumb is to use that when it is a known thing, and which when it is a choice.

That and which are used when the antecedent is a thing and who with a person or persons.

See page 538 of Writing by James A.W. Heffernan and John E. Lincoln (was one of my collage text books)

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the that/which/who rules are almost entirely a fabrication of prosciptive nineteenth-century grammarians. These rules have never reflected actual usage. These are the actual rules:
  • That is used only for restrictive clauses. It is used for both people and things.
  • Which is used for non-restrictive clauses, but it is sometimes used in restrictive clauses. It is also used for both people and things
  • Who is used for people, not things, though I suppose you could use it for things if you were being poetic or something.

These rules are based on centuries of usage, not on the wishful thinking of those who wished to base English grammar on Latin.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited October 14, 2003).]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m not sure what you mean, LordD. As we’ve established, passive voice isn’t taboo and actually has its uses. Dialogue would be one, since people speak like people speak, though the usual cleaning up should be done as for uhs and ums – a little reality goes a long way. Are you talking equal mixtures of active and passive?

I'm refering to narative. Dialog changes based on the person speaking even though I will agree that passiva and active voice would apply there also I am concerned with my story first.

If you can't get what you want in the narative then the dialog is not much of a concern.

If I sound a bit clueless when it comes to grammar...I am. It isn't easy trying to learn grammar after ignoring it for too many years. I have been getting by using the feel of it, but that only gets me in the readable catagory (which I will not complain about).

For the moment I just wanted to check and see if a mixture on a normal basis is ok. While reading books on how to write I have to look at each portion and determine if I agree with the author or not. I give them some respect for actually doing it for a living, but I have found some things that did not appeal to me as something I would want to do for my stories. The main book I am refering to is "Plot" which had some good info, but some sections seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

That is not used for persons or people--period.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

Maybe this excerpt will help, LordD. It's from Pinckert's Practical Grammar by Robert C. Pinckert (of course ):

quote:
"In short, the passive may be used (I just used it) when the verb is unexciting and the agent unimportant or unknown. In good writing these conditions don't often occur, and that's why the passive voice is seldom used. (I did it again.)"

In fact, here are my first two sentences, adjusted for the sake of expediency:
"Maybe this excerpt will help. It is from a grammar book."
To get rid of the weak "is" -- and even the pronoun "it" ( ):
"Maybe this excerpt from a grammar book will help."

(Hmmm...is "will" a passive verb? I know it's an auxiliary verb...could be. )

Anyway, I dare say most writing will have some mixture of active and passive voice, but the more passive it has, the less punchy it'll be; the more active, the less boring. Remember, instruction manuals are written in passive voice.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited October 14, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited October 14, 2003).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

According to Pearlman & Pearlman in Guide to Rapid Revision:
quote:
"...never use which to refer to persons."

So I guess it's another crap shoot.

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Shawn, it's not so clear-cut as that. That is used by professional writers for people all the time. As a shameless plug for my husband, Jon Boy is an editing guru. He's referred to sometimes as the index to the Chicago Manual of Style. You can trust him; I promise.

Now, as to whether you can trust me, I'll leave for you to decide. *shifty eyes*

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was that masked man?

A) That was the Lone Ranger.

B) The Lone Ranger is the person to whom you are making reference.

I love grammar.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

Just so you know, Shawn, I'm not just pulling these rules out of the air. I've had classes in usage, grammar, and editing, and I'm now studying Old English. I've worked as an editor for over two years, and I'm thoroughly familiar with authoritative references like Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage and The Chicago Manual of Style. Now, on to the history lesson . . .

That has been used as an all-purpose relative pronoun since the beginnings of English, whereas the relatives which and who are much more recent additions, dating back to only the 1200s. Germanic languages use demonstratives as relatives, whereas Latin languages use interrogatives. Due to the influence of French on Middle English, English gained some more relative pronouns. Thus, who is also used as a relative pronoun for people, whereas that is the original all-purpose relative pronoun.

Kolona, it's easy to find sources that say that which and that should never be used for people, but the fact is that those rules are entirely made up. English speakers have always used that and which for people (as long as the words have been used as relative pronouns, anyway). The rules simply don't reflect any sort of reality. Even the people who advocate such rules are incapable of following them (in speech, anyway; with thorough editing, you can "fix" them all).

And now for passive voice . . .

There is no such thing as a passive verb. There are only passive constructions. The passive voice is the combination of a be verb and a past participle (the form that usually goes with a form of have, as in "have done"). Thus, "The ball was kicked" is passive, but "I have kicked the ball" is active. There are plenty of good reasons to use the passive voice, especially in situations like newspaper writing. You never read articles that say, "Someone robbed the First National Bank this morning." They'll say, "The First National Bank was robbed this morning," because the agent (the one who actually performed the verb) is unknown.

Also, is is not weak, per se. It's only weak if the construction is weak. But I can't think of any good examples right now, so I won't talk about that.

And I'd like to thank my wonderful wife, Brinestone, for backing me up.

srhowen
Member # 462

Nor am I pulling things out of my hat. I've worked as an editor, both here and in Germany for the better part of 6 years now. I've worked for an agent in Germany as well as having a degree in English.

I am also a published writer, on-line and off. I also do lecturing on the editing process and preparing for publication. I have run workshops at writer's conferences. The latest was in Kaiserslautern Germany.

History does not matter as much as current usage or expected usage.

How about the comma before too at the end of a sentence? That has changed as well and now you will be boinked for using a comma before too at the end of a sentence.

For the general writer--those who are still struggling with almost basic grammar--who refers to people. That is not used to refer to people. The Lone Ranger example is neat--but then how else would you say it?

I cringe every time I see something like, The people that were in the main hall. Most editors I know would do the same thing.

My reference above was not made up either.

Shawn

Jon Boy
Member # 1512

quote:
History does not matter as much as current usage.
Exactly. Most people—including authors and editors—use that and which for people. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a book wherein who was the only relative pronoun used for people.

Kolona
Member # 1438

That was rather my point, that you can find conflicting opinions on some of this stuff -- or is that who can find...nevermind.

Oh, no! Too, too?

I always put a comma there. <disgruntled>

immi
Member # 1784

- posted      Profile for immi   Email immi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
I've been having computer problems, thus haven't returned to this thread until now.
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people who commented on my query. You've been very thought provoking and helpful.
Immi

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread's moving too quickly for me to keep up. I'd have to stay up all night to get a word in edgewise! :-)

Jon Boy - I think your description of the differences between which / that / who is possibly a little too technical. If I understand correctly, what you are saying is this:

'Which' (which you describe as non-restrictive) is used to provide additional information: "The hat, which was brown, fell from its stand".

'That' (which you describe as restrictive) is used to specify a particular object from multiple possibilities: "The hat that fell from its stand landed on the floor".

You don't really provide any information on when who is used, other than that it is used for people (persons, whatever!). My own experience suggests that either of the above uses can be applied to it.

Is this right?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
daovinci
Member # 1757

- posted      Profile for daovinci   Email daovinci         Edit/Delete Post 
"That is not used for persons or people--period."

It is, according to the MLA. The AP, too, if I remember correctly.

It can be used to refer to people places or things. WHICH is used for things and places, and WHO is used for people.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

Jules—that's right. Sorry for the technical jargon. "Restrictive" means that it changes the meaning. If I have five hats, and one of them fell, then I want to specify which hat it was by saying, "The hat that was brown fell from its stand."

"Which" is generally used in non-restrictive senses, meaning that it just adds extra information. However, sometimes "which" is used in the same way that "that" is used. Then it's just an issue of whether there are commas to set it off. Thus, "The hat which was brown fell from its stand" means the same as "The hat that was brown fell from its stand," but it doesn't mean the same thing as "The hat, which was brown, fell from its stand." Does that make sense?

You're right about "who"—it can be used in either restrictive or non-restrictive senses.

daovinci, the new edition of The Chicago Manual of Style gives these rules about who, which, and that:

• Who refers only to a person.
  • Which refers only to an animal or thing.
  • That refers to a person, animal, or thing.
According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, which is generally not used for people:
quote:
In the past which was also used of persons as well as things. . . .
It has now been replaced by who and that in this function, and is usually limited to things.

That's what the most authoritative books that I'm aware of have to say. So it looks like I was wrong about which being frequently used for people—it's rather infrequently used for people. I guess if you can't edit yourself, then who can you edit, eh?

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited October 15, 2003).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.