Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Literary Boot Camp? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Literary Boot Camp?
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the letter this evening. I'm in too! Mary, I cannot WAIT to finally meet you in person!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! I didn't even think about that as a bonus aspect of the class.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats you guys!

I look forward to hearing all about it later...

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that one of the reasons I was looking forward to bootcamp was because I wanted to meet you guys in person. I'm bummed about that aspect of not going. I hope you have a lot of fun, and I'm jealous that you get to meet OSC.

So we can all be jealous of each other .

Maybe we'll meet some other way, someday.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

You ought to at least come up for the two-day class! Or has OSC banned you from that, too?
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly banned, but it is a ten hour drive and with gas prices being what they are, I'm not sure I could really afford it. As it was, the trip was going to have to pretty much go on a credit card.

I'll still think about it though. OSC indicated that he'd prefer I saved my money, but I don't think he'd forbid me from going either.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I definitely know what you mean about the money. I'm doing Camp as cheap as I can--bunking in with relatives and all. I'm grateful for the month I have to come up with the rest of the money.

Should I sell my whole body? Or just my soul?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had relatives to bunk with. It's the KOA campsite for me, although I might splurge and go with a cabin.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted to go this year, but I'm going to be halfway across the country for my sister's wedding. Oh well.

I think next years is going to be back on the east coast, so I'm going to aim for that one. If it's held in Greensboro I'll be able to stay with family, otherwise I'll have to see what other arrangements I can make.

Congratulations, Mary and Dakota. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to those of you who were accepted. One of the guys in my weekly writers' group got accepted, too.

::resists the urge to sing "It's a Small World, After All"::

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off, congrats to all those who got accepted to boot camp. Get your sleep before you go, 'cause it's quite intense. You'll love every minute of it . . . even the minutes (or hours) you HATE. And remember, amidst all the criticism you're going to get . . . if you get a compliment from good ol' OSC himself, you can be ABSOLUTELY sure that you deserved it. And soak it up . . . 'cause you're probably going to need it before the end.

Seriously, it's hard work. I know that when I went, all the work, critique, and staying QUIET (AAAARGH!) was quite a stretch for me, not only as a writer, but as a person. But damn if it wasn't a blast. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

And to Autumnmuse, since the posts you put up about your submission have all been editied, I can only assume from the context of the replies that you got rejected because your submission was too good.

All I've got to say is . . DAMN!

I got pretty much no comment back on my submission, until the 'review' session at the end of boot camp where we went over everybody's submissions, 'cause we had some extra time. At that point, I looked at it and groaned. Pretty much every point that had been stressed "DON'T DO THIS!!!" over the past week, I had done in my 1.5 page submission.

I just sat there and shook my head as the firestorm I knew was coming crashed down on me.

But at the end of that review (or mauling, if you prefer), there was ONE thing that made my entire trip. OSC himself said something to the effect of . . "And DESPITE all that, this actually almost works, because you REALLY know how to write action."

For the next week I was on cloud nine because of that one comment.

So while I definitely understand the disappointment about not being able to go, I must say, it's SUPER impressive to get rejected because your story was good enough he doesn't believe it's worth your time/money to go through boot camp. Because, BELIEVE me he does not give praise lightly. WALLOW in that praise, because you can be sure you've earned it.

And now I'm really curious to read some of your stuff.

Again, congrats to EVERYBODY that got accepted. Can't wait to hear the resulting chatter once everybody gets back. It's always a blast.

Happy writing, all.

-Falken224 - posing as Corin

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pretty much every point that had been stressed "DON'T DO THIS!!!" over the past week, I had done in my 1.5 page submission.

I believe that OSC bases what he talks about in the Boot Camp on what shows up in the submissions. After all, why talk about things the participants already know how to do right? He knows what to teach you by the mistakes you make in your submission. And if you submit something that has no mistakes in it, he sees nothing that he needs to teach you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Help! I'm out of town. My deposit for the Boot Camp is due tomorrow and I didn't bring the contact info with me. I can't find the link for it on the website anymore. Can anyone email me or post the link?

Thanks!

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/misc/uvsc.shtml
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I'm not going to be able to go to even the first two days. That's a bit of a bummer for me, but oh well. I finally got my refund check yesterday, but it was processed back when OSC first called me. The Uni works at its own pace . Anyways, I hope you all have a good time.

The reason I edited my earlier posts is that I haven't asked OSC for permission to quote him or put any info about his new venture out in public. But, yes, he did reject me because my story was too good (in his opinion). He bought it from me at pro rates, and has bought another one since, and is looking at a couple more. I still can benefit from his wisdom, just through email and the phone instead of in person.

Sorry for being repetitive to those who already know this info, just trying to answer the questions of those who don't. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm gloating, because certainly don't intend to. I feel badly that OSC didn't do that for anyone else.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

> I feel badly that OSC didn't do that for
> anyone else.

Don't feel too badly about that. In talking with other Boot Camp grads, I think the general attitude is that we feel a bit sorry for you because you won't get to have the Boot Camp experience.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Eric on this one. How can I feel badly that I didn't miss out on the most valuable experience of my writing career, for any reason?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, autumn...gonna have to echo my campmates on that one.

Good luck, sweetie.

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Not knowing YET whether to feel sorry for autumn or not, I'm just going to say that I'm sorry for the lost opportunity to meet her in person.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

djvdakota,

That was you I met extremely briefly at CONduit, right?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know this thread was here or I'd have posted earlier. I'll be at boot camp, too.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Thanks for the info EricJamesStone. I'm all paid up and ready to go.

Dakota, Spaceman and Rahl22, we'll have to be nice to the poor non-Hatrackers. I mean, how are they going to get through Boot Camp without a HUB?

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I already went through bootcamp last year. And, as far as I could tell, I was the ONLY hatracker there. Was kind of strange. But I inducted them all. Oh yes. They're one of us now (even if they only stick to the private fora).
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!!

With envy, that is.

Congratulations to those who are going, and especially to you who are not becuase your work is really just that good!

Me? I want to, but cannot. Money is a big obstacle, but the timing is even bigger. I have to play several concerts, weddings, and anthems for locals sports during the summer, so I'm all booked up.

So one creative side suffers while I satiate the other...sigh....

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Rahl, was it on the east coast last year?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, AutumnMuse, that sounds fantastic! It may still be worth going if you want the comraderie and experience---you could use OSC's paychecks to pay. LOL

I wanted to comment on the nursing thing, just in case it benefits anyone. (It's also one of my 'things'; I'm trying not to comment anymore on the child-in-lap thing).

First, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least 12 months, and thereafter as long as mutually desired. Usually solids are introduced around 6 months, so that's not quite as much as it would seem.

If breastfeeding is an issue, I would definitely get a good breast pump and contact the dorm/hotel ahead of time to make sure a freezer is made available for your use.

If you do plan on weaning, do it FIRST--AHEAD OF TIME. You do not want to up and leave to wean, and dad will not have an easy time at home.

Elan, I'm SO sorry about what happened for you! How old was your daughter? I know that for us, we waited until our daughter had been nursing like a pro for a month or two before introducing a bottle. I pumped, but we did this so that Dad would be able to feed Eden too and so I could leave the house for Mommy-time without having to worry. After the first couple of months, baby should not be quite as prone to 'nipple confusion'. (Breastfeeding babies are discouraged from using rubber nipples until breastfeeding is well established). Eden was able to switch easily from bottle to breast and back again.

Ok, thanks for that opportunity. Now back on to Boot Camp---

I live in NC and I'm really hoping to be able to attend bootcamp next year. (Sidenote: Baby #2 is due in August so I'll probably be breastfeeding). My problem was, I was going to use this year to try to get GOOD ENOUGH to be accepted! I seriously doubt I have to worry about OSC turning me away for my astounding prowess, but I am starting to wonder on what sort of level the Boot Camp is aimed.

I wanted to check out the Boot Camp threads to get a feel for what goes on, but they're closed. I'm also wondering--are scholarships ever made available?

[This message has been edited by Ahavah (edited June 04, 2005).]

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
franc li, Bootcamp 2004 was in Buena Vista, Virginia, on the SVU campus where OSC is on faculty this Fall.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

For those of you going, where are you staying and how much are they charging? I found place for $55 a night, but I have to dig the info up (my office is a mess.) I'll post it when I find it.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I wish I COULD go. I asked OSC about that, and tried to convince him that my writing still needs help, but his response did make sense. He said that of all the applications he has received since beginning the boot camps, three were rejected for being too good. Two were marginal, but he needed the spaces for other applicants whom he felt he could teach more things to. In his opinion, my story was not marginal and if he were to let me go to the class he would be doing me a financial disservice. He said he already had to choose between 35 eligible applications for 15 slots, and that he would rather teach people whom he felt he could help along.

At that point I felt like it would be rude of me to insist on taking a slot, even though I didn't agree with him. I mean, it is his class. If he doesn't want me to go, what can I say?

But . . . congratulations to all of you, and I hope you consider me attending in spirit. I certainly want to.

I wonder, do any of you think that he would be willing to let me join the private boot camp 2005 forum? Kind of as an honorary member? If that's not appropriate I understand.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited June 04, 2005).]

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Here it is, Fairfield Inn, very close to campus. 1-801-431-0405. $55/night
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Thanks for the info, Spaceman. I'm staying with friends, so I'm covered now.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm covered, too, Spaceman. Less than two weeks! See you there.

ATTENTION ERICJAMESSTONE:

Yes, that was me you met, rather too briefly, at CONduit. You know, I think we sat right next to each other in that Religion in sci-fi/fantasy discussion.

I didn't have much time to chat with Kathleen either, dang it!

Spaceman
Member # 9240

I'm told there is someplace in Orem called Chuck-a-rama that is a required visit. Anybody know about it and want to meet for dinner on sunday evening?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman, are you sure this person is your friend?
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh, sorry, I'll be arriving that day and will need to visit with folks. I'll see you on Monday, and Tuesday, and... you'll get sick of me fast.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

KDW: I have no idea. This is one of my fellow district people in scouts (Not LDS, but an OSC fan). Anyway, I have absolutely no idea what's in store for me.....is this a good place to avoid?
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
Buena Vista!! Wow. Is he still on staff there?
My hubby and I and friends go to the Park there all the time to camp and whitewater canoe!!! Every spring and fall!!
Glory! I've breathed his air - rofl!
Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman--The restaurant with the unfortunate name serves food, all-you-can-eat buffet style. After nine years, I was able to get past the name and go to one in Sandy, Utah. No complaints. I enjoyed the food, although there was nothing to rave about. Here's a link, to help give you an idea of the place:

http://www.chuck-a-rama.com/menus.html

In my book, any Utah-based restaurant is suspect. After all, the chinese restaurants here serve ham fried rice and cream cheese wontons!

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I got that beat...we have a restaraunt in north Phoenix that serves combination Chinese/Mexican food.
Void
Member # 2567

I concede! What's the menu like?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Spaceman, I just suspect that "required visit" might be a joke.

As Void said, the food is good, but it's nothing to get excited about. Telling people they really ought to go makes me wonder.

I'd ask OSC where he recommends going to eat.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Void: It's called Chino Bandito's. They have some strange chinese food burritos.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The true required visit is Artic Circle, and it's right across the street from Chuck-A-Rama, (The chuck makes more sense once you see the covered wagon out front, of course I do know a guy who threw up there.)
Now at Artic Circle you can grab a ranch burger pour the signature fry sauce on it and wash it down with a lime riki(sp?) Personally I prefer the mushroom and swiss though.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Arctic Circle is a fast food place, while Chuck-a-Rama is a buffet.

Spaceman, that Chino Bandito place sounds very interesting.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Requesting advice from the alumni:

Is there any free time at Boot Camp? Say, if I have friends in Salt Lake City and they want to have dinner with me, is that even feasible? (Not asking if it's advisable, 'cause I'm pretty sure it's not.)

johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
There is LITTLE free time. You MIGHT swing it, but I wouldn't set anything in stone.

For example, on your first night he will send you out telling you to do research, interview people, etc. and come back with 7-10 story ideas meaning a character, setting, situation and some idea of how it goes. Well, you might dash this off in 3 hours, but maybe it keeps you up until bedtime.

Then on Tuesday night he tells the people staying for bootcamp that they have Wed to write. Thurs, Fri, and Sat are for the workshop and reading the 17 other stories and marking them for clarity, belief, and interest. Well, obviously, you're going to be writing every moment you can spare on Tuesday and Wednesday getting your short done. Maybe you'll be like me and finally get the idea Wed Night. Then you have to write every spare moment you get to get it in plus all the reading. I would plan something before or after the bootcamp, but NOT during.

[This message has been edited by johnbrown (edited June 12, 2005).]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck-a-rama is the same thing as Golden Corral or all the other buffet restaurants. If you like that stuff, it's great. BTW, there's a Golden Corral just up the street from UVSC. Other good, but cheaper restaurants in the area.

--Bombay House: Indian (I go every time I'm in the area)
--Brick Oven: Italian & Pizza
--The Italian Place: Go for their Steak and Cheese sandwich only

Plus all the other normal chains. There were a few others out there, but I can't remember the names.

Ah, there is a Nielsen's Custard. And here's the thing: if you haven't had a concrete there, then you're missing an amazing treat.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Can't wait to meet those that are going. Tomorrow's driving day. I'm ripping CD's for the trip as I type this. Less than 48 hours to go! See you there!
Void
Member # 2567

I just wanted to wish everyone who is traveling to bootcamp a safe trip!
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I am with you all in spirit!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.