Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Recommended Reads - does anyone have em? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recommended Reads - does anyone have em?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A late entry to this kind of philosophical discussion...I'm assuming "limo's" holiday is over at this point.

Alas, my holidays usually involve picking up stuff to read when I get back, usually lighter tomes. I do usually take some old familiar book along to start reading with, then skim through some stuff I've picked up along the way. I wind up with a huge pile when I get back home.

If I were planning a period of leisure time, where I couldn't write, but had enough time to really go over something properly, I might find some solid thick book and go through that. There's lots of things I haven't read that I'd like to...some things I even have copies of.

What comes to my mind first is "War and Peace," which I tried to get through in high school but couldn't get past page twelve. (Cultural barriers, mostly.) From all the good things I've heard about it, it might be worth another attempt...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you what, you read "War and Peace" and I'll read "Les Miserables". I think I would be a lot smarter to read the abridged version, because what turned me off to Les Mis wasn't the story (which I enjoyed) but Victor Hugo's annoying habit of going on for pages about things like Napoleon's fighting tactics, or the sewer systems of Paris. If I had skipped that stuff (or just gotten a version that didn't have it to begin with) I think it would have been a lot more fun to read. Someday, I'm going to finish that book. I swear.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost anyhting Anything by Ben Bova from Mars on is a good read. Especially his most recent planet books (Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, Mercury) as these are all one book stories.

Mars is standalone read too. But he did eventually go back and write Return to Mars something like 7-8 years later.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, this was a while ago, but I really enjoyed The Snow Spider Trilogy, I think it was by Jenny Nimo.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
My reading tends to focus on certain themes, where I'll run a dozen or more similar books, and then get sick of it after a time and go start on something else.

Last month I was reading Young Adult books, either the ones that I read and liked when I was that age or have heard good things about since. Many of these books are somewhat short (around the 50,000 word mark) which was good since I don't really have very much free time right now.

From that group I highly recommend _Speak_ (which instantly became one of my all time favorite books) to anyone that has every gone to an American high school (and just about anyone that hasn't), and also it's sequel _Catelyst_. In the last few weeks I've read _A Wrinkle in Time_ and half a dozen related books by the same author, which I also really like.

This month I've started on some of the classics. I went and bought the cheap Dover editions of Mark Twain and the like last night, and it's been great. That'll probably last me a while, and I guess when I'm done with that I can always find some interesting suggestions on this thread.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Under-rated writers you might forget.

Jack Vance. He's won Nebula and Hugo twice each, for Dragonmasters and Last Castle. Best book, IMHO, is the trilogy starting with Lyonesse.

Bruce Sterling. Best book is Islands in the Net (cyberpunk). Others worth reading: Holy Fire; Distraction; and especially Zeitgeist, which I'd call magic realism.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Patricia McKillip (I particularly recommend "Harrowing the Dragon", which is her collected short fiction, and "Ombria in Shadow"). I love her way with words.

The Lymond Books by Dorothy Dunnett (they're historical, but brilliant still).

Regarding OSC, "Hart's Hope" was one of the best fantasy books I ever read.

I'll second will on "To Say Nothing of the Dog". I chortled during the whole book.

I think you have enough to keep you busy anyway. And I lifted a few things to keep mebusy during the holidays as well

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Jack Vance is good but I must admit his style is "old school" it has its own flavor.

in the short story vein you can't go wrong with Phillip K. Dick.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
(A kind of sidebar to this discussion...)

I ran across something the other day, an article about something else (whether rap music was art, I think---I don't have it in front of me right now---the article writer cast a firm "no" vote.)

But one thing struck me. The writer mentioned the Greek playwrights in his discussion, and said something along the lines of "What's being written now, that will still be read and discussed 2500 years from now?"

Appropriate question...I admit I'd be happy to be published in my own lifetime, and let posterity worry about posterity.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaDeb
Member # 3194

- posted      Profile for GrandmaDeb   Email GrandmaDeb         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I saw Julie E Czernada or Elizabeth Haydon mentioned. These 2 female authors have been a favorite pick of mine lately. Haydon's series "Symphony of Ages" is terrific fantasy. Anything by Czernada is great sci-fi.
Fortunately, there are enough good authors out there to satisfy everyone's taste.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Speaking of good Sci-Fi written by women:

Audrey Niffeneger's Time Traveller's Wife is a pretty good read.

kaukusaki
Member # 3217

- posted      Profile for kaukusaki           Edit/Delete Post 
I became a Heinlien fan (but not that big of a fan) from my sister who reads all his stuff (she's a super big fan of all his work). Here's a list of some of his books.

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
I Will Fear no Evil
Have Spaceuit, Will Travel
Starman Jones
Glory Road
The Puppet Masters
Starship Troopers
Stranger in a Strange Land

Have fun and enjoy!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Was browsing my local library (which I absolutely shouldn't be doing as I've got an unread library at home!) when a cover caught my eye and I picked up the book and impulsively took it up to the counter and checked it out -

- oh, and am I glad I did! It isn't SF, fantasy or horror (it was in the general fiction section) but this chick rocks!!!

GOOD AUTHOR! GOOD AUTHOR!

Her name is Michelle Berry and she's from Canada.

Here's a link to her first novel, Blur

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0297607871/qid=1139132012/s r=1-7/ref=sr_1_2_7/203-5813544-6145563

And here's a link to another one of her books, What We All Want

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0297607863/qid=1139132500/s r=1-8/ref=sr_1_2_8/203-5813544-6145563

If books were food then these are two of the most devilishly delicious desserts you'll ever eat!!!

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've posted this recommendation elsewhere (and more than once, probably!) but what the hell, I'll just brow-beat y'all with it once again -

Terry Moore's graphic novel sequence Strangers in Paradise

http://strangersinparadise.com/sipindex.html

- tragi-comedy par excellence! About a guy and his two female friends. David's got a dark past, Katchoo's got and even darker past and poor, adorable Francine hasn't got a clue!

Will make you laugh and cry in equal measure. One of the funniest characters is Francine's ex Freddie. And, boy, when he and over-protective Katchoo come to loggerheads - which is frequently - the result is some of the best high comedy you'll ever read!

Oh, yeah, David's in love with Katchoo - and Katchoo's in love with Francine!

Currently running to 17 graphic novels, with number 18 due in the summer. The whole saga ends May 2007 when the last single issue comes out, with the last collected volume - probably number 20 - coming out a few months after that.

Or, alternatively, you can pick up the Pocket Book editions which collect the first 16 standard sized graphic novels into 5 fat paperbacks about B-format size.

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CReeves
Member # 3221

- posted      Profile for CReeves   Email CReeves         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost feel foolish replying here because I'm sure that the vacation is over, but reading isn't. One book that I didn't see in any of the responses was "Howls Moving Castle" by Dianna Wynn Jones. It is a fun book to read, and I re-read it every few years, when I don't want to think too much.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
If you relish non-stop action, try Matt Reilly's books. Ice Station is wild. This guy is one author that keeps his characters exhausted -- and his readers as well.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly suggest "Night" by Elie Weisel. I just finished reading it, it's a very good book. It's about his memoirs of the Holocaust, and it's very powerful. It shows just what desire for survival can do to a person.

By the way, Elie Weisel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
I see the recommendations are mostly about FICTION with occaisional books on craft.

How about some nonfiction? Take a break from fiction once a while and read a book on something that insterests you, or that will inform your writing. Get a book about horses, or sailing, or carpentry, or anything mundane but interesting to you.

It's a good way to pick up some unrecycled dramatic or technical details for your writing.

Theer are some wonderfully narrow histories out there that can be read very quickly but are rich in detail like:

"Salt"

"Cod"

(Both are by the same author, who's name I can't remember except that it's long and Polish)

Ted in PA

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Walter Van Tilburg Clark's Track of the Cat is a great read. And it's fiction.

I just read a very interesting non-fiction book called Oh What A Slaughter by Larry McMurty--it's about the massacres between whites and Indians during the 1800s, including the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.