Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » blinded by pet peeves (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: blinded by pet peeves
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, this thread has been both helpful, and harmful to me. It has spured me on to find ways to avoid "being" when not necessary to the plot. It has also given me many items to watch and avoid thier over use. Thanks for starting this thread. Don't worry, I wrote each item down, and looked up the ones that confused me.

Have a great day.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Of the manuscripts I've had reviewed, I've really haven't seen too much that has bothered me about the reviews. Maybe I'm just a bit more open-minded than others, or maybe I just blow off what I don't agree with easier.

I did learn that inexperienced writing bothers the crap out of me, but I balance that with the fact that I used to write that way, and those writers deserve fair and balanced reviews, as well as pointers. the more experienced writers are the ones I have trouble reviewing because I tend to be much harsher in my mind, trying to mold them into my own style. I have to constantly remind myself that it is somebody else's writing.

That being said, I'm not going to change how I critique a manuscript unless somebody specifically asks me for something different. For each change you make in the way you critique, somebody else likes it the old way. I can't help being me.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I confess that I'm developing pet peeves at a rapid rate, in a way that I never did before. Why? I've become more aware.

I am peeved by all the new writers who fall, like lemmings, into the chasm of the same old tired opening phrases and scenes, like waking up after a dream or with no memory. They have no idea it's been done to death a zillion times. I am peeved because my current novel originally started out that way. Fortunately I've figured a much more interesting approach

I am peeved by writers who are sloppy and don't care about grammar, punctuation and spelling.

I am peeved when I read a published book and there are gross spelling errors in it or discombubulated action and dialogue that indicate to me the editor was either on vacation or asleep.

I am peeved at myself when I get so engrossed in spotting errors as I critique that I forget to tell the author 'good job' for all the places that work. There's always something to commend in every work.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.