Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help Me, Please, For I No Longer Know What to Write (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help Me, Please, For I No Longer Know What to Write
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a distinct difference between mastery and perfection.

Mastery traditionally connotes recognition. (I.E. via a guild), in this case the recognition of other writers and readers.

Perfection is simply the state of being without fault.

In the case of the art of writing, perfection is impossible. While grammatical perfection may be attainable, creative perfection is still subjective and thus imperfectable.

There is nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, but a writer can be perfect in their style, grammar, etc and never be recognized as a master. Several of the writers recognized for their mastery in literature were imperfect grammatically or stylistically.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Mastery comes with time, practice and experience.
True mastery involves knowing not just one thing, but the things related to it.

In other words, by practicing writing in different ways, styles and genres one increases the chance for becoming a master. Of course, this implies that the person spends time writing and reading and critiquing and studying. Mostly though, this is by writing. Everything and anything and learning from successes and mistakes.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Mastery is a matter of being able to use the craft to do exactly what you want with it. So, a master writer could write anonymously and have a profound and intentional effect on the literary world, even the world at large.

True, such mastery will usually be recognized by somebody eventually...though in the wild world of the internet it would be quite possible for someone to be spreading anonymous but masterfully written memes through a variety of seemingly unconnected sites (and no I don't know anyone doing this). The point is that the purpose of gaining such a mastery would have nothing to do with having gaining personal recognition or even having the mastery itself recognized at large.

On a different note, I've found that many of my favorite books become even better the more I learn. So that's another (completely non-sinister) reason for mastery aside from gaining recognition. That's not just true of writing. Lot's of different kinds of mastery enhance the master's ability to appreciate and enjoy another's art.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.