Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Biggest Mistake (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Biggest Mistake
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern 3PLO hadn't been developed, but the realistic first person narrator had become well established in both theory and practice. The fact that most writers hadn't mastered it doesn't mean that Wells' can't have been thinking of how to make his narrative seem as real and personal as possible.

Robert, give it up. Wells was right to focus the story on things the narrator knew and cared about. If he did it by accident, then kudos to his good luck. It isn't a flaw in the story, only in your naive perceptions of what ought to have been in the story. It's a good example of concentrating on the character rather than the epic scale of the plot.

As for The Two Towers, I had to laugh (in pain, not delight) when Sam's all like "we're not even supposed to be here!" I don't know how that line could have made it past review unless someone was deliberately trying for fourth wall comedy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course the assumption that Wells (or any published writer of his stature) could and likely did err in this matter is the heart of my argument. That he crafted a compelling narrative---I don't dispute that. After all, it's been continuously in print since it was first published. It's been dramatized, adapted, and outright ripped off. So Wells must have done something right.

But I can't exclude the possibility that Wells could also do something wrong---and I see the notion of putting all the Martian landings in and around London for the purpose of crafting this narrative, as setting up an improbable and unlikely situation. I still see it as an error, a blot on a good book.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You see it that way, but you're wrong. Wells made plenty of science errors in his story, but this isn't one of them. Concentrating on the invasions impact on the narrator's own life wasn't a mistake.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't the Martians surround the most important city on Earth?

Maybe they were actually seeking out fish and chips.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the narrative, Wells's account of the narrator's personal experiences of alien invasion. (I think "I" is intended to be Wells himself, and "my brother" his brother Frank, who evidently provided the original idea.) It's the notion that the aliens only landed around London that I see as the error.

There'll be no meeting of minds on this issue between Survivor and I, I'm sure, but I've sure had a blast discussing it.

Maybe I should go on about what I actually like about the book---plenty---but we do seem to have wandered away from the original topic to discuss Wells and "The War of the Worlds" at such length. I might post something in the appropriate forum for discussing a published work, but it'd likely be lengthy, and I'm pressed for time today.

Anybody want to beat me to it, go ahead...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm puzzled both by your assertion that the aliens only landed around London and your perception that this is somehow an error. You haven't explained the reasoning behind either.

My point of view is that, from a characterization point of view, it is not a mistake to concentrate on the landings which the narrator personally knew about when they occured. From a plausibility point of view, it isn't a mistake for the aliens to pay special attention to knocking out the largest center for industrial activity on the face of the Earth at that time.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Now it's my turn to be puzzled.

Wells describes where the cylinders land, all around and in the London area. No other landings are mentioned. These are of a number that match the number of "eruptions" observed on Mars. (I have not compiled a list.)

A great number of people were killed and a great number fled the area. Towards the end, when other areas of the world are mentioned, they're either mentioned as possible future Martian targets. "...Perhaps even now they were destroying Berlin or Paris, or it might be they had gone northward." Book II, Chapter VI, "The Work of Fifteen Days."

Later on, in Book II, Chapter IX, "Wreckage," mentions "...a thousand cities, chilled by ghastly apprehensions, suddenly flashed into frantic illuminations; they knew of it in Dublin, Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham..." And "Across the Channel, across the Irish Sea, across the Atlantic, corn, bread and meat were tearing to our relief. All the shipping in the world seemed going Londonward in these days." Bread, sent by the French government, was being distributed.

I cannot imagine this happening if these areas had sustained attacks even a hundredth as severe as the one Wells describes.

But that's just looking at it from the words in the book. If a skilled writer like Wells had intended his Martians to have landed anywhere else, a few lines in Book II, Chapters IX "Wreckage" and X "The Epilogue" could have taken care of it; the narrator speaks of many things that were certainly out of his personal knowledge, and it would have been appropriate to mention attacks on, say, Tokyo or New York or New Delhi or Johannesburg. (Cited here as examples only.)

As for the error, it's an error of improbability. Wells compressed his scene of action to the area around and in London, possibly deliberately, but certainly stretching credibility beyond reasonable bounds. To accept your view of this would require any number of things for the Martians to know and to be able to do and none of this, as far as I can see, has any basis in the book's text. (I do not know if any readers or reviewers commented on it at the original time of publication, but I know of several who said so afterwards.)

Survivor
Member # 213

There's no basis in the book's text for the aliens being able to do any of the things they do, if it comes to that.

You're looking at "All the shipping in the world seemed going Londonward in these days." Remember whose perspective we're using. Remember where the narrator is, and what he thinks of as "normal". He thinks that there should be as much or more being exported than being imported. It is astonishing to him that this is not so.

You mention that the narrator doesn't know what the Martians are doing elsewhere in the world. Surely this is just the point that I've been making?

It's nice that you're taking evidence from the text, but you're still not paying close attention to what that evidence actually says about your assumptions.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Not a fault in Well's writing.
But it may have been a fault in the martian's strategy ...

This is interesting and I don't think Robert is unique, I think there are many readers who feel disappointed when their 'patch' of ground doesn't rate a mention in an 'earth-shattering' story like War of the Worlds.

Think of the movie Independence Day. What a sad little caper that was, tugging its forelock to other places around the world. Did the final tableau of crashed ships in 'landmarks' places around the world, strengthen the story? And what about Signs? It had 'late-breaking news' on TV and in the end the aliens were defeated by some 'ancient technique' in India (or somewhere), that was never explained. Is anyone suggesting these movies are more enjoyable than War of the Worlds because they 'globalised' their stories? Or did they avoid an error that Well's stumbled into? No, I don't think so.

Of all the faults in Wells' story, what makes this (perceived) one so devastating for some reader's enjoyment of the story? Was Wells ethnocentric simply because some readers lack capacity to fully enjoy a story like this where the described events take place only in Britain?

Or is it that many American/New Jersey readers read the book AFTER having heard the broadcast. It would be interesting to find out whether those readers felt disappointed that the story was set in England and not in their neighbourhood. Did it seem to spoil it for them? Perhaps this particular criticism says more about the reader's tendencies than the writer's? Do they have the same criticism of the broadcast as the book?

What are your thoughts about it Robert? Is the broadcast flawed in the same way? Is it less enjoyable because it takes place only in America?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited April 10, 2006).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As I see it, if I haven't made myself clear before, Wells wrote "The War of the Worlds" with the idea of showing the British---possibly Londoners in particular---that their Empire and their status in the world was precarious, that they could be brought down. And that in order to do so, he warped the logic of his story assumptions beyond what a reasonable reader, and not just a reader of science fiction, is entitled to expect in the way of story logic.

I don't recall any version of that I've perused---semi-official, like the 1938 radio version or the 1950s movie version (I haven't seen the recent version), or unofficial ("Independence Day," for one) that made that same mistake. The Martians / alien invaders landed in a variety of places all over the world.

There was a book a few years ago, "War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches," or a similar title. I didn't buy it but I read some of the stories as they were published in this magazine or that. (I didn't buy it because I was going through one of my "I'm flat broke" periods of life.) Certainly some of these stories have the Martians landing elsewhere than metropolitan and surbuban London---but Wells didn't.

As for Survivor's contentions---well, I cited my examples of why I think Wells erred from the text itself. I'll have to see what examples Survivor can cite from the text to support his contentions.

And London was and is a busy port---but it's not the only busy port in the world, or even in the UK.

Survivor
Member # 213

But your citations from the text support my contentions rather than your own.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Absurd. How can citations supporting undamaged parts of the world support Martian attacks on those parts?
Survivor
Member # 213

Your first citations specifically support the notion that the narrator has no actual news of what is happening in the rest of the world even when the Martian machines finish up in his area and move away. He has space to wonder about what's happening in the rest of the world, and that's all he can do, wonder.

The second citation is making a POV point. London, previously the nerve center of the world's mightiest empire, is now the recipient of charity, even from Ireland and France. Only the reader totally ignorant of the place London held in the merchantile world of that time (and Wells mentions this point, though perhaps he doesn't belabor it sufficiently) could fail to understand the meaning. It has nothing to do with whether other cities are entirely untouched or have simply suffered less greviously. Besides, I've pointed out that it is eminently plausible that the Martians would concentrate their spearhead on taking out London. You have provided no evidence to the contrary other than suggesting that the Martians are so dumb that they were landing randomly.

Dumb enough to land on a planet with indigeonous microbes lethal to their race, yes, that's supported by the text. But nothing in the text suggests that they don't have telescopes.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Again you're warping the logic to make your argument. If these areas had been under attack, in the same manner as metropolitan / suburban London, would they then be able to send any aid to London?

You also make the argument that the storyline follows what the narrator would know. He cannot possibly know a thing about how the Martians prepared and planned their invasion on Mars, but speaks extensively on it anyway. A reader can assume the Martians did some planning---but should the readers be obligated to assume the Martains had (a) enough knowledge about Earth to pick out London as their prime target, while also (b) assuming they knew nothing about disease on Earth?

Survivor
Member # 213

Obviously, if the entire countryside of France, Ireland, and other parts not named had been under the same intensity of attack as London, there would have been no chance of any organized aid for years of centuries after the invasion.

But the book clearly suggests that London was hit quite a bit harder/earlier than the surrounding countryside of England itself, and this makes perfect sense. Nothing about bread crossing the Channel indicates that urban centers in the rest of Europe went untouched. But if they did go untouched, it's hardly remarkable, given how short a duration the entire invasion covers.

The narrator doesn't speak extensively on the Martian's planning of their invasion. He makes suppositions about a subject that occupied his mind considerably once the invasion was underway. "Why are these creatures here?" His speculations are not presented as fact, other than by evidence that the Martians couldn't have come here by accident.

And as I said before, telescopes can pick out major industrial activity (particularly the heavily polluting sort of industry at the turn of the century) quite easily. They have a great deal more difficulty spotting microbes. Even assuming that the aliens could see individual humans from Mars well enough to see disease (which would be rather a stretch for the very best telescopes theoretically possible), most of the obvious causes of grossly visible disease are non-infectious in nature.

But at least you're on the right track by shifting to the fact that the aliens seem woefully unprepared to deal with infection, given that they actually feed on human blood. That's closer to an actual error in the text...albeit a science error made to improve the characterization aspect of the story.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm not sure what a telescope from Mars could pick out on Earth---in real life. I can assume that Martians could pick out desirable locations to invade and even arrange to land on and around them.

But I cannot assume, from the text of "The War of the Worlds" itself, that the Martians attacked any other point on Earth other than suburban / metropolitan London. Wells plays this up big as an attack on humanity (Book II is titled "The Earth Under the Martians.") But the evidence of the text alone places no attack anywhere else in the world---and "the narrator" (as distinct from Wells as writer) would have been in a position to know of and report on any such attacks.

Survivor
Member # 213

But it would have been an "as you know, audience that lived through the Martian invasion," because the narrator has no direct or special knowledge of that which isn't available to his fictional audience.

Look, I will continue to regard "as you know, audience that lives in the same world as me," digressions as a flaw in stories I read. Because it is one of the major errors that writers make using fictional narrators.

As for telescopes, the main limiting factor would be the Earth's atmosphere. If they built it big enough, they could get resolution not terribly worse than what we can get with spy satillites. That's not the issue, though. It's a digression. The real point is that it doesn't make any sense to invade in the first place if they couldn't detect us somehow.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One can assume, on the basis of 1898 knowledge---the year "The War of the Worlds" was first published---that the Martians were in advance of humanity in all technological respects. The ability to fire projectiles from one planet to another, the Heat-Ray, the Black Smoke, the Fighting-Machines, the flying-machine...why not something better in the way of telescopes to observe the Earth? (Despite a number of things pretty close to it, humanity has yet to come up with a good equivalent of the Heat-Ray.)

In the light of 2006 knowledge, knowing what is now known about Mars and its thin atmosphere, that a telescope observing the Earth from Mars might have a pretty good view. But if one is starting with no preconceptions, one must actually understand what one is looking at---and that's far from certain. I suppose the classic example of that are the "canals" of Mars.

(I used to have a National Geographic map of Mars up on my wall. Once, I happened to take off my glasses and squinted at it---and, for a moment, I could see several of the major canals, plain as day. But they're not there, and weren't when I put my glasses on and looked again. And what could I have been seeing on a latter-day post-canal-era map?)

The "audience that lived through the Martian invasion," or, at least, the literate portion that read the account by "the narrator," would probably have some awareness of the statistics of the invasion...and would also know what hadn't been attacked. But Wells the writer, rather than "the narrator," fails to spell out any evidence of attack elsewhere. If a projectile cylinder had fallen, say, across the Channel in France (not far off the invaders' landing pattern), it would be a matter worthy of attention in the narrative. (The Martians did go down as far as the English Channel, according to the narrative.)

Survivor
Member # 213

Why would it have been worthy of the narrator's attention, assuming it happened, and if it didn't, how would that be a problem?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The narrator takes notice of many items beyond his "what I saw and did in the Martian invasion" thread. A landing elsewhere than the immediate London area certainly would be akin to the things the narrator did take an interest in. Why should he fail to do so?

Y'know, you seem to be arguing from the position that H. G. Wells can do no wrong. I see him as I can see any other writer and his works. Few, if any, writers produce works that are absolutely perfect, even if they have sold steady for over a century, been made into radio shows and movies, and have inspired generations of readers and writers. Certainly I can see and intelligently discuss flaws in any work.

You also don't seem to be able to support your contentions with adequate reference to the text itself. I've dug out my copy of "The War of the Worlds" and have thumbed through it from end to end repeatedly in this discussion. I'm holding up my end of the debate. Are you?

Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not arguing that Wells can do no wrong, just that, in this case, you are taking issue with something that he clearly did right.

I have no idea why you regard it as a flaw that Wells had his narrator concentrate on the things that seemed important to him (meaning the narrator) personally.

If you want to talk about flaws, like aliens from another planet being able to use human blood for sustanance...that could be interesting.

But you're arguing against something Wells did that was an important element in the characterization of the narrator. It's worth noting that while the narrator's personal history might be based on Wells own experiences, he is not Wells. He is a fictional person with different attitudes, beliefs, and of course a history of living through an alien invasion.

It's called characterization, and it's the subject of this thread.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

loverly weather we're having...
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, a bit odd, what with the snowing and all for Easter and whatnot. But nice.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.