Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good or Successful (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good or Successful
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Huntgod,
Remember the disclaimer is "for the sake of argument."

JFLewis,
I'm not talking about 0 satisfaction, I'm talking about negative satisfaction. Raw embarrassment. Worse than that actual shame

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in the school cafeteria for a year when I was in High School (during my study hall period) and all I got for that was a hot lunch that I couldn't pay for otherwise. You don't think that opened me up to some ridicule?

I cleaned toliets for minimum wage. That was fairly embaressing.

Maybe I'm just too mercenary, Zero. I'd still take the success.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Maybe. I'm not trying (at all) to make the case that nobody would accept money or gain. I am just trying to protect the consistency of the conditions that make the comparison meaningful. Honestly, I'd expect about 50% of people to respond that they would take the cash. And for perfectly good reason, I just want the integrity of the comparison to be preserved.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
If the devil appeared out of a puff of smoke, and produced a contract offering success in return for your soul, and somewhere in the small print it said that you had to write Eragon, I wonder how many people would sign.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooohh. I think that is too much.

The devil. Mmmm. I would assume he would want his usual fee? So now you are saying would I write a book like Eragon, never improve in my writing skills, and go to hell for all eternity?

It's mighty tempting.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the devil appeared out of a puff of smoke, and produced a contract offering success in return for your soul, and somewhere in the small print it said that you had to write Eragon, I wonder how many people would sign.

Well, it depends. Would I have to write the horrible sequels too? I could stand to write one of the pieces of dreck, but FOUR? No... that would be too horrible. I couldn't do it. ROFL

Edit: Ok, I'm being unfair. I only know for a fact that ONE of the sequels is horrible. The others aren't out yet.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 12, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

I would draw the line at my soul. I would only surrender my soul to ransom other souls.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Would you surrender your your soul to free Paolini's soul from hell?
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

In a word: no, but I expect you knew that already.

The theorectical souls in question (ie. those souls for which I might surrender my own soul as ransom) would have to be someone I love (ie. my wife and children) in order for me to consider such a deal. It's no secret that I am not the second coming, so it should come as no surprise that I'd restrict myself to such personally satisfying deals.

skadder
Member # 6757

Then, alas, he is stuck there.
Zero
Member # 3619

He'd likely find his way back there anyway.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 13, 2007).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I think this has exhausted the original question, too.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.