Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The worst mistakes... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The worst mistakes...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remembered another one today. One of the Christopher Reeve "Superman" movies, where he opened his mouth really wide---and you could see the fillings in his teeth. You had to wonder...a guy who bullets bounce off of has holes in his teeth? And who was the dentist, and what did he use for a drill?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they weren't fillings. Maybe he'd just been chewing on some bullets earlier and got some stick between his teeth
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching a time-travel kid's cartoon yesterday, and it would have [Scene One] Events happen here at Year Five Million involving three characters and a time-traveling craft, then [Scene Two] Meanwhile back in Year One Hundred Million, where another character has been stranded and the other three are trying to get back to her...

I got to thinking: it's time travel. Why would there be any "meanwhile?" The events aren't so much happening in a different place than in a different time. The ones could appear a microsecond or two after they left, and pick up the character without any gaps.

Oddly enough, another episode of the show did exactly that at another event in their lives. So why do it different here, other than for dramatic purposes?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy reading these. I love how I'm willing to accept that they can teleport a human body hundreds of times, without even the slightest error, but as soon as an "inertial dampener" begins to fail and all the characters aren't immediately splattered all over the inside of their ship's hull, I cry foul. I guess suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Whenever I go to movies with friends, and they inevitably ask what I thought, I proceed to nit-pick all the little details. Now I'm beginning to see why so many people are "busy" when I want to go to the movies...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I know how you feel, CAB.

For instance, in the new Star Trek movie (which, for the record I love), I went on a short rant about a few things I couldn't believe.

One was how Kirk magically landed near enough to bump into Spock on a planet (that's like finding a needle in a planet-sized haystack) and the planet is close enough to witness the destruction of Vulcan in detail (we're talking closer distance than the moon is to the earth) and yet the newly formed black hole had no effect on this planet.

Also the "drill" the alien ship deployed could stretch from outer space to the center of the planet without trouble. Since Vulcan is probably near the same size as earth (based on gravity) and, in fact, the Romulans were going to deploy the same drill into Earth it makes sense that it must be able to stretch a great distance. Well, the radius of the earth is more than 6 million meters. So that must be a helluva big ship to carry that drill around.

And since they didn't even try to come up with some bogus explanation of what "Red Matter" is and why it can do what it does, which is insanely ridiculous, I'll forgive them for that.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 10, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The latest Star Trek is full of lunacy like that, Zero. But here's one that was blatant in the movie, but seems to be in a lot of science fiction movies:

Ignoring the obvious lunacy of constructing a starship ON Earth, why was that shuttlecraft allowed to fly through, in, and around an obvious workzone? I mean, we don't do that now so why would we do that in the future? Even military bases have procedures and guidelines so that a shuttle full of recruits doesn't fly through the scaffolding of an aircraft carrier.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I hadn't thought of that. That's like building an aircraft carrier in Nebraska and shipping it by bus to the Pacific Ocean.

Here's another one. If black holes caused by red matter enable things pulled in to go back in time, does that imply Vulcan (the planet) was thrown back in time?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't matter Zero, since the planet completely disintegrated in the process.
Oh, but then what would be the effect on Vulcan in the past, when that much matter suddenly arrived in its orbital path? Would it arrive at the same location? In the near-enough-past to have life on the planet?

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 10, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well let's pretend the planet didn't disintegrate, or else disintegrated in the same way a person does when he's being "beamed" somewhere and ended up rematerializing on the other side.

I think it's highly unlikely the new Vulcan would materialize close enough to where the "past" Vulcan currently is. But now that there's two planets in close proximity their gravity might throw each other out of life-supporting orbit.

Or, if the star itself is moving, then the two Vulcans might not even see each other.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 10, 2009).]

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a book David Eddings collaborated on with someone else. It began with one person's point of view, and then in the next chapter had someone else's point of view and their story arc began halfway through the first PoV character's scene. Then the third point of view character's story began halfway through the second's, etc. By fifty pages in I felt like I'd read the same story five different times with slightly altered details and I wanted to throw the book out the window.

I didn't, though, because I was afraid someone might pick it up and start reading it.

But I have to say my biggest nitpick of all time was one I actually made a topic thread here for: how in Stargate Atlantis there's a race of technologically superior aliens who somehow have humans as their primary source of food, to the point that they hibernate whenever human populations get too low.

Putting aside the totally bizarre evolution that must have produced these aliens that eat a species they wouldn't have even encountered until they developed space travel, why in the world aren't there dozens of "human farm" worlds where they specifically breed humans as food? It seems far simpler and more practical to produce the technology to do so, rather than producing technology that allowed them to put their lives on hold until a "lesser" species could repopulate naturally.

I love Stargate, but the utter unbelievability of Atlantis's antagonists makes it impossible for me to watch it.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited June 22, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I also had problems with that, and speculated that the aliens were a simple predator species who had acquired, but not developed, the technology in the course of their predations.

Still, it IS silly.

Just another weenie StarWars-type show where the creators have decided that the audience isn't as intelligent as an average 8-year old...

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, How do you know the species isn't eating humanoids on thousands of planets?

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch Stargate Atlantis with my parents-in-law, and what I remember about the Wraiths is they are a human-insect hybrid that travel from world to world to "cull" humans. Their human ancestry was Ancient--the creators of the stargates--and their technology was influenced by Ancient technology.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.