Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New to Hatrack forum

Author Topic: New to Hatrack forum
Persephone
Member # 1377

- posted      Profile for Persephone           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! My name is Mary and I live in Colorado, which means that at the moment I am absolutely freezing!

I'd like to apologize in advance for what may be some rambling in this post. I want to introduce myself fully in order to best find where I might fit in Hatrack's critiquing groups. I promise I won't always be so windy. Okay, here goes!

I am 37, married and the mother of two tremendously splendiferous little boys, aged 4 and 9. My 9 year-old is very gifted, so I am kept quite occupied with his various music, martial arts and other pursuits throughout the week. My 4 year-old, true to his age group, is just high maintenance right now! Nightime (past the boys' bedtime) provides me the best chance to write, and since I'm a night-owl that is fine by me.

I dreamed of being a fantasy writer as early as the 7th grade, but with no support from my family of origin, I 'forgot' the dream for many years. I am now reviving it (the dream that is, my FOO is beyond reviving) and am about 6 chapters into a fantasy novel that seems to 'fit' the YA category. It has taken me several years to get to this point in the story, and with the boys growing up, I am FINALLY finding a few more pockets of time at my disposal! It's been a frustrating few years at times, but I am unapologetic about putting them first for the last few years, and backburner-ing my writing much of the time. Children deserve that an patience truly is a virtue when they are little and need so much from their parents.

Anyway, I joined Hatrack because I am DESPERATE to find a good, solid group of a few writers (4 or 5) to work with. But despite my feelings of desperation, I am still choosy. To be frank, I am tired of clubby groups that invariably end up focusing on personal problems and goofing off...in short, I am serious and I really want to find a group that will allow me to make the most of my writing time and talent. I have moderated two online writing groups, but found it hard to attract serious writers. I have a wild and wacky sense of humor and I LOVE to have fun, but I want to work at my craft and ACCOMPLISH something, too!

I'm not entirely sure what my first step should be, as I gather it can take a month or more to construct a group. Does one already exist that would suit my needs, and that I would suit in return? I am willing to critique work as long as the writer has a good, strong foundation and a skill level that will not drain me of time...it is at such a premium. Forgive me if that seems blunt, but experience has taught me to only seek what I really and truly need, and to be honest. I am an experienced editor with a very strong background in grammar, syntax, characterization, flow, spelling, you name it. Oh, and I prefer to work with other fantasy writers if at all possible, or science fiction or other writers with an SF/F 'bent'. It just interests me the most for right now and I could use all the exposure to the genre that I can get as I re-enter the literary world.

If it helps, I will list a some reading that made me hunger to be a writer: Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series; Piers Anthony's Xanth, Apprentice Adept and Mode series; Ann McCaffrey's Pern series; Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series. I also enjoy more 'picture' type books like Dinotopia and the like, and admit that I got a real kick out of the Harry Potter books as I shared them with my son. I also love classic literature, especially the short stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Washington Irving, Edgar Allen Poe and Franz Kafka.

If anyone has some insight into a good group that could use another member, please let me know. I would like to begin as soon as possible, so the sooner I can check it out and find my best fit, the better!

Thanks so much for your time, and I look forward to seeing more of Hatrack. By the way, I must confess that I am not very familiar with OSC's work (though I have read two of his books on the writing craft), largely because since starting my family, I have found my reading time more and more eclipsed. But I'm willing to learn, so here I am.

Hope to hear good news soon! Thanks again! Mary

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary, there is already an "introduce yourself" topic here, but it's got three pages now, so I'm willing to have a new topic and I hope people will come here to introduce themselves.

About the groups--it really is hard to say beforehand whether or not a group will work out for someone.

I try to group people according to the interests and goals they tell me about in their sign-up forms, but I can only guess about how good they will be in and for a group.

The attrition rate for Hatrack groups is very high (at least 50% in some groups) and I often have to do a lot of rearranging.

On the other hand, sometimes a group works out right at the beginning, but that is rarer than I'd like it to be.

If you are willing to work with me, and let me try to find a group that works for you--in other words, if you are willing to try more than once or twice until we find the right mix for you, I think we can extend to you the hope of finding a good group.

Once a group gels, it is beautiful to behold. The sad thing is usually the only people to see this beauty are the members of the group and I. Most Hatrack groups choose to stay in email, and never ask for a group discussion area on the website (which is why there are so many blank spaces for groups there).

It really is exciting to see a group come together and work out.

I hope we can do that for you. I try to do it for everyone who signs up and who is willing to work constructively with the other members of their groups.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen is correct on that one. Take your time and don't be discouraged if the first group doesn't work out!!!!!

I am on my third group--and they are great--we have a good mix of "eyes" (by that I mean a good mix of people that have a nack for seeing different things).

So give it time. Kathleen is great at finding people that go together.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I'm just being a bit petulant here, but I don't see why we should have all these enormously long 'new member intro' topics at all, let alone hope that as many people as possible post in them. We all have the opportunity to put any relevant information in our member profiles, which have the advantage of being linked to everything we post here. Further, in our member profiles we can put links to homepages that others can go to for more information about us.

Besides all of which, the way that we get to know people in the confines of a bulletin board is by what they write about the various topics that people actually discuss.

By the way, Persephone, I'm always glad to see another member of proven good sense and maturity (two qualities of which I am invariably in short supply), as well as one having good punctuation (which will come in handy for me if you permit me to read your story).

I haven't been in a group for some time, but I wouldn't mind joining up again. I'm afraid that all I could come up with would be short stories (story fragments, really), but anyone willing to put up with them might not mind too much. Unless they did....

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Have you gone and looked through the member profiles? I never have. I think everyone wants a chance to say---hello my name is and I am a writer.

as much of an addiction as anything I know----welcome to the suport group.

My name is Shawn and I am a writer.

Shawn

Persephone
Member # 1377

- posted      Profile for Persephone           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, and thanks for the replies. I'm sorry if I introduced myself in the wrong section. I confess that in my initial perusal, I didn't locate an introduction topic or area for profiles. I will spend some more time looking around, and if anyone is willing to help me navigate a bit while I get used to the site, all the better. It's a bit confusing sometimes to come to a new forum and know just where to look or jump off.

And I did warn ahead of time that it would be lengthy, so Survivor, I beg your indulgence and patience with a newbie! I suspect we're all friends here, and I will return the kindness when others need it.

Kathleen, I am more than willing to work with you to find a good group. I know it may take some time, and since I'm the one being so particular, I know the onus of patience is very much on me. I appreciate anything you can do to help from your end.

Thanks again, guys. Mary

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuckles
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mary.
I can understand what drives you to come straight to the point in order to try and get placed properly as quickly as possible. That's not, however, a skill that I posess...

I've been here for awhile, but I have yet to join a group, since I don't feel like ti Have enough free time to be able to keep up my end of the deal, but perhaps soon.

Anyhow, I'm realizing that my brain is slow and soggy because it's late, so I'm going to go to sleep now.

Welcome to Hatrack!

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Every registered member has a user profile that can be accessed by clicking on the smilely profile with the question mark after it that lookes a little like this =?
srhowen
Member # 462

Yes, but if it looks like mine it doesn't tell you much---how many posts my e-mail and when I registered and that's it.

Shawn

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, that's because you didn't put any other information in your profile. I have a bit more than that, including a web address where anyone can go to find out a ridiculous amount of silly information about me.

You can even set the web address to be a link to a particular topic on this forum, if you like, perhaps one that contains an introduction from you. I think that using a free web page from Geocities or NBCI or 8M is better, since you can include pictures and formatted text, even an audio clip if such is your taste.

My main problem with intro-topics is that you end up with forty intro's to a page, with no index or anything to allow you to find the one that you're looking for, or even any guarantee that the one you're looking for even exists in that topic. I used to introduce myself in those topics...or I did so a couple of times. But those were more of the sort of running discussion (or battle, take your pick) type of topic.

By the way, even if a member hasn't posted any personal information in their profile, you can still use the profile to search all the topics in which they have posted. That's a lot better than just some three paragraph intro lost in a sea of basically similar intros. I can even find out what Shawn posted in response to the "Stupid Question" of Siligurl if I like.

Of course, now everyone that reads this can do the same to me...uh-oh!

vstampede
Member # 1398

- posted      Profile for vstampede   Email vstampede         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this seems terribly silly, but I'm a newbie too and am curious about just how the groups are formed here? If someone could let me know that would be excelent.

Sorry if this is the in the wrong thread and a big howdy to Mary!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

See the thread titled--The Inevitable First Question.

Shawn

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Start at
http://www.hatrack.com/writers/writers/index.shtml

which will tell you how the writers groups work.

After you've read that page, please select "How to Join" which is in the column on the left side of the webpage. This will take you to a page where you can read about joining a group.

After you've read that, please select "Please fill out this form" which will take you to a page where you can enter the answers to the questions for our application form.

Once you've filled out the form and sent it on to me, I will work on finding or creating a group for you to participate in. It make take a few weeks before there are enough other people with the same interests as you, but I will contact you about a group as soon as possible.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.