Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question

Author Topic: Question
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finishing a fantasy series (six books long). It is writen in omiscient pov, but with deep penetration of characters' thoughts and feelings. Sometimes (in draems actually) I switch to the 1st person pov. In the end of the series I am thinking of puting an epilogue that is suposed to be writen by a historian (who appears in book 5). And also in this epilogue it would be implayed that this same history wrote, also, the whole story (the series).
Now the question is: Is this logical? I mean the series is writen from many povs. Do you think it would be nice to tell at the end that it was writen by a historian who, actually, "doesn't know if everything she wrote is 100% correct"? Or would it be better to write the epilogue as "nameless narrator"?

I hope I make sense...

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

No-one?

Do you want me to clarify something?...

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I think as a reader I would be more accepting of a narrator voice rather than the historian for the ending. Implying that the historian told the story doesn’t ring true to me since as a historian he would be trying to be impartial and factual in his writing, not getting into feelings and deep thoughts. If he did write it, then it sort of takes away the power of all that emotion, etc. as the reader questions the validity of the narrator.

If you really like the narrator telling the story idea, maybe you could put snippets from his version of the text at chapter beginning to bring his voice more strongly into the series. Just a thought.

GZ

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

Thanks for your thoughts, GZ! Really usefull.
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
From what it sounds like--after six books of all knowing POV, a historian wouldn't work. They couldn't get into the players heads to see what the narrative voice saw. How much author voice did you use throughout? Perhaps you can tell it like the close to any epic tale---and then they lived happily ever after---no identified narrative voice.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll reiterate my general position on POV, that unless you have a strong narrative or dramatic reason for doing otherwise, you should use the POV form that will be most transparent to your audience.

At this time, the most transparent form is Third Person Limited Omniscient, where you describe the feelings, thoughts, perceptions, and experience of a given character from the point of view of a neutral observer that experiences the action only as seen by that character. I could give an exposition of why this is so, and what advantages are gained though the use of this device, but that would make this a very lengthy post indeed. Instead I will simply explicate some of the reasons and requirements for using First Person.

First Person is a form that has largely gone out of fashion for two reasons. Its primary value is in maintaining the illusion that the story actually happened and is being retold by an eyewitness to the events described, which is no longer considered a necessary element of maintaining suspension of disbelief. With the decline in necessity for creating a "virtual document" in which to tell the story, this form has been largely abandoned because it imposes strict limitations on the narrative, prevents deep personification of and identification with the POV character, and is very difficult to carry off effectively even for the most talented writers.

However, your second notion, that of telling the entire narrative as it might be retold by a later (also fictional) character, is full of possibility. First you should recognize that in telling the story this way, you require a "First Person Narrative Frame", wherein the narrator character has particular (some explicit and some implicit) reasons for writing the narrative. Therefore, it would seem appropriate to have this character write a preface, a prologue, and likely an apology, in addition to the epilogue.

You should also keep in mind that the language used throughout the narrative must conform to what would be appropriate to your fictional narrator. If you slip in anacronistic vocabulary, usage, or terminology anywhere in the story it will break the mood far more severely than would be the case otherwise. Also, you have to make sure that the literary forms, including the conventions for POV and plot structure, conform to the fictional setting of the narrator character, not the conventions of this time.

Also important, but less obvious, is assigning values and cultural assumptions to the narrator character that are consistent with the milieu from which he or she is writing. For instance, you might need to invoke a lengthy "justification" for the hero doing something that would be contrary to the mores of that culture, like borrowing money, or eating meat after dark. By the same token, actions that were acceptable in the narrator's mind, such as killing someone over an insult, or setting fire to a forest, would pass without any conscious attempt at justification on the narrators part. I say conscious because in order to appeal to a modern audience you will need to find some way to make it clear that these actions are, in fact (or to be more accurate, in your fiction), fully justified. You just can't have your narrator do so consciously.

However, as GZ points out, creating a self-consistent dialectic for your narrator to practice that allows both a level of historicism and personalization is a formidible problem. It may be better to write the story first, then see whether you can turn it into a "historical" novel written by your narrator.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Bardos, I think you could have your historian be the author of the epilogue, but not because the historian wrote the story.

Instead, have the historian write the epilogue because the historian found the story and is acting more as an editor and/or translator of the story.

That way you can keep your omniscient narrator (and have that narrator be anonymous, if you like), while still having the commentary at the end by the historian.

I think that will solve the problem GZ pointed out and accomplish what you want with the epilogue.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

Thank you all for your answers. I'm begining to think two solutions to my problem: either I'll have only the epilogue writen by the historian (as Kathleen suggested), or I'll have the epilogue being told by some nameless narrator.

About the PoV I use in the whole story. It is not the omniscient kind that someone tells a tale from afar. It's more like Herbert's omniscient, where the story is being told from many different PoVs, sometimes two or three in the same scene. Everything writen is actually a thought, a feeling, or a perseption of some character or a group of characters (e.g., army, crowd). That's why I was confused about the historian, thinking "How could she know all these thing (feelings, thoughts, etc)?"
So I'll use one of the two methods I mention above.
Thanks again.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.