Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Building Worlds and Writing

Author Topic: Building Worlds and Writing
nobody
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for nobody   Email nobody         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This is my first post, I hope nobody gets rude on me

Anyway, I'm trying to create a feasible writing schedule for me but I'm actually stuck. I'm planning to write a novel from a fantasy world of my own and for the past 3 months I've been involved in creating the intricacies of my world like its geography, a detailed history, and such. I already have a story in mind which came from a combination of different, oftentimes conflicting ideas that pops out from my mind every now and then; I have already written chapter 1. But the question is, should I build the world first and just start writing the novel later or should I write the novel and build the world based from what I have written?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

nobody

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello my disembodied friend!

I'm a big proponent of world creation, especially history. If a world has a history it will have culture and traditions, which are vital for adding depth and conflict.

You will save yourself a lot of rewrite time if you work out the "mechanics" of your world ahead of time. But you will have a richer story if you work out its history, too.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Doc said, plus, I'm a big proponent of writing.

As soon as you have enough of the world built so that you have scenes and characters forming in your mind, go ahead and write them. Write as much of the story as you can as quickly as you can. It will be more alive if you write it when you're excited about it.

Your mind won't stop working on the world building while you are writing the story. They can grow alongside each other.

Remember, the odds are against your writing being finished as soon as you write it. You will almost certainly have to go back and rewrite. I say get as much of the initial writing done as you can as you go along.

Once you've got most of the story written, you'll have a better idea of what you need to finalize in the world building, and once that's done, you can go back and work on the editing and rewriting of the story.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

Do both of them as much as you can.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
nobody
Member # 1417

Yes Doc you're right about world history. Actually the geography and kingdoms in my fantasy world sprung from the world history that I wrote. I guess the reason why I'm more inclined to building the world first before writing the story is because I would like to avoid a lot of rewrites in the future, and yet Kathleen's advice is very reasonable. If I push myself into world building, I might lose momentum with the story that I want to write, and when I lose this momentum I might find it hard to regain it again; my subconscious might shut itself from me.

Thanks for the reply.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Rewriting is the essense of good writing.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
SCWebber
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for SCWebber   Email SCWebber         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also good to know when to stop.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuckles
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of creating a living, breathing world first, and then dropping your story into it. It seems like a hugely valid way of working. One of these days I hope to try it :-) But I have yet to do so, since I've never tackled a novel-length work and I find short stories evolve differently. I don't even plan out my plays. Songs get a lot of prep-work, generally, and take forever to complete.

Generally, though, no matter what I'm writing, I do as much of a foundation of research and development as I can before the story refuses to be kept inside and forces its way out into the world. From there, it's a constant push back and forth between the story and the world.

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

nobody -

I've tried to take great care to build up my own world. Hopefully when I'm [eventually!] published folks will notice that

Thing is, though - world building never stops, if you allow it to run and run. Seriously. No matter when or where you try to stop the world building, there's always something interesting - even important - that you've missed.

Inspiration is its own master - follow it, be its servant. If inspiration tells you to writer some notes, write some notes. If it tells you to write a great sentence, then write a great sentence. If it tells you to write a chapter, then write a chapter.

You *cannot* avoid rewriting. Do you know why? Because you begin writing what you think is great, and then at some point you realise that you can write it better. It's trading up. And if you're wanting to write something serious for publishing then there should be no room for second-rate work in your head.

You've started off world building - that really is great. But you will find that as you write, more and more little details of that world will emerge that you can incoporate into your world [this is where continuity must be an issue - another potential reason for rewriting )

Point is, never worry too much about what you *think* you should be doing while writing - just do what comes naturally. Everything will attend to itself.

Have fun -

Brian

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrWhipple
Member # 1436

- posted      Profile for MrWhipple           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to doc. But, and this is a big but. Just because you have a big world all worked out, does NOT mean that you have to put it all in the book. It is more polite to the reader to give it to her in bite sized pieces woven into the plot. Tolkien had more stuff than a whole squad of writers working full time could ever get ito a book and it is the hints and snippets of the second and third age that he wove into his book that made us keep turning pages.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Build a little world.
Write the story.
Build bigger world.
Revise/rewrite story.

You need some world to start the story, but the story itself will actually help with world-building, since ideas will pop out along with the words. Then you can go back and do the really big things that will add subtleties to the story that you can include with the revisions.
That's my two pennies worth.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
nobody
Member # 1417

"Build a little world.
Write the story.
Build bigger world.
Revise/rewrite story." -- JK

I think that's the best outline of what's going on with me right now. I have written 4 different first chapters for 4 different stories which sprung from the world that I'm still building. It just gets better, in my opinion and I hope I would hit the right story for my world very soon. Ultimately, writing is fun.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.