Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sci-Fi Caste System?

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Caste System?
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, all. This is a first post but I've been skulking for a while. I'm confused and curious.

In OSC's book, Science Fiction and Fantasy, he says Sci-Fi is a big tent with infinite boundaries, then sort of slams "light adventures." Somewhere in one of this site's topics, someone mentioned that some publishers won't even consider a manuscript if it hints of tv/movie commercialization (unless I read that wrong). Chronicles of Empire referred to "market-oriented sci-fi."

Am I understanding correctly that only books with no GENERAL market appeal are considered "true" sci-fi--that anything that is not "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" {Churchill}is a poor relation? If so, where's the infinite boundary?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

I've been advised by a couple of people to submit a query and first chapter direct to [named!] publishing editors, and then contact agents only when offered a contract.

So by "market orientated" I mean for that aim:

* First chapter short and punchy, and with a hook [specifically to catch busy editors],
* First 50 pages having good pace and movement [to keep said editors reading],
* Aim of under 100,000 words [see srhowen's important post on the subject]
* Mainstream writing style [ie, no particular pretension]

I don't know OSC's writing - sorry - but the statement quoted doesn't seem too contestable.

Tolkien defined the fantasy genre, and it seems that most fantasy writers aspire to be nothing more than poor clones.

Sci-fi is different, though - there is no single master. Instead there is a range of different names with a far wider remit: Clarke, Asimov, Aldiss, for example.

When the fantasy market seems generally constrained and formulated, the sci-fi genre has been left wide open, with no defining iconic moment the rest must pivot around.

As for what constitutes "true" sci-fi - that really is one for the idealists to worry about.

As a new author, the main concern is simply to interest editors and agents.

And because the sci-fi market is so broad, it is perhaps less constrictive on a persons' creativity. The market is based on ideas and vision, rather than a need to be a strait-jacketed sell-out.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In OSC's book, Science Fiction and Fantasy, he says Sci-Fi is a big tent with infinite boundaries, then sort of slams "light adventures." – Kolona

The big tent is infinite in that, so long as there is some hint of the things pushing the boundary of the norm, you can do anything you want in a speculative fiction story (Science fiction/fantasy/etc.). Push a lot, push a little. Focus in on a family, or span a solar system. A mystery, romance, strange places, new ideas can all be the drive behind the story.

Compare that to the limitations on a mystery or romance writer. The mystery must have a mystery as its main focus; a romance must focus in on a relationship. Sure they can have other elements as well, but there is a specific plot element that makes them part of the mystery or romance genre.

I think the slam you feel is just OSC pushing for people to look beyond simple answers. To go beyond a simple black and white standoff in a situation, and probe the gray between for a richer, more thought provoking story.

As far as the comment about commercial fiction… well, you can’t write in other people worlds (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.) and expect to get published unless you’ve got specific permission from the world’s owner, if that’s what you mean.

Many a Science fiction work has been made into movies (of varying quality – but that is another discussion entirely) – Dune, 2001:A Space Odyssey, The Postman, Minority Report are just a few that come to mind. So I don’t know that there is anything particularly noncommercial about a particular piece of fiction, other than that some can be more easily told through the available technology and lengths allowed by film/TV.

This idea that that if the general public likes something, then it’s no good … phooey on that, I say! I think that sounds like a pretty snobby and elitist attitude to take, which totally slams the very people that most enjoy a good SF tale. I know there are literary types out there that hold to such ideas, but I don’t think there are that many people out there supporting them.

<Done with ranting now, which is in no way directed at you Kolona. The that last idea just bugs me >

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he was exactly slamming "light adventure." It's just that, by definition, anything that is "light" is not intended to be taken as seriously as other stuff.

(There are those who do sneer at what they call "generic" or "lowest common denominator" fantasy or science fiction--the kind of stuff that has a lot of appeal to a lot of readers, but you'll find such sneerers in every kind of fiction.)

There are also those who will argue that the fantasy that imitates Tolkien's fantasy is only one kind of fantasy (and I'd agree with them). He defined what is sometimes called "high fantasy" perhaps, but what he wrote could also be called "sword and sorcery." There are many different kinds of fantasy, just as there are many different kinds of science fiction.

TV/movie commercialization is something else entirely. Fiction that is based on something someone else has created and sold (not just on TV or in the movies--there are game-related stories, for example), basically infringes on the copyright of the original creator. As long as such "fan fiction" is not used for profit, and is a way of spreading the interest in the original, then most copyright owners (STAR TREK, STAR WARS, etc) don't bother to try to stop it, but it is, technically, copyright infringement, and that's one reason why we don't want such stories critiqued here at
Hatrack.

I hope that clarifies things a little better for you, Kolona.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I understand about copyright infringement, but the comment somewhere in the archives--oh, I don't want to go through them all again--was that some editors at some sci-fi publishing houses immediately discounted anything that smacked of the big screen.

Which seemed crazy to me, but I'd love to know which editors/houses they are and avoid them, since that seems like an unenlightened attitude for a publisher to take.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I understand about copyright infringement, but the comment somewhere in the archives--oh, I don't want to go through them all again--was that some editors at some sci-fi publishing houses immediately discounted anything that smacked of the big screen.

Since most publishing contracts have the publisher in charge of selling movie rights (and getting 50% for doing so), it doesn't make sense that they'd discount anything that has movie potential.

Perhaps we're all misunderstanding. I can only think of those two interpretations for "smacked of the big screen" (ie, movie potential and copyright infringement).

<shrug> Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about writing something that could be made into a movie. Publishers make money from books that do that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Oops - yes, I probably was sneering. I think that simply comes from trying to justify my own work against a stereotyped market - an unfortunate competitive thang ["Pah! I can do better! Bwa-ha-ha!" etc].

But it probably also shows a level of immaturity on my part. Kudos to anyone who works hard and gets published. Sorry if I offended any folks here.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.