Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Another Nice Rejection

Author Topic: Another Nice Rejection
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
All rejections are painful, but this one was less painful than most.

Thank you for your submission to our magazine. While we don't think that "The Lotr" has quite what we're looking for, we do think you're on the right track. We hope to see more of your work in the future.

Best Wishes,

Nancy Fulda
Assistant Editor
Jim Baen's Universe

I hope you all don't mind my sharing what happens to my stories after you critique them. I certainly would like to know what happens next to your stories. Maybe we need a new thread, "Whatever happened to that story you wrote?"

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a nice one I got for my novel:

quote:
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your children's fantasy novel, THE BOOK OF DRAGONS.

The concept behind your story is interesting, and you do a nice job of creating a relatable character in Cosette. Ultimately, however, Mr. ____ just wasn't as enthusiastic about this project as he needs to be to take on a new author. As you know, these decisions are highly subjective, and another agent may have an entirely different opinion.

Thanks again for thinking of us. We wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for this book.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, can I share one?

This was the first one I've sent out in fifteen years. (I'm just getting back into things, so give me some slack.)

This is for my Monster Under the Bed story, 1000-word Flash about a monster afraid of a human hiding in his room.

quote:
Dear L. E. Hollis,

Thank for your submission to Every Day Fiction. I regret to inform you that we are unable to use it at this time.

Touching and endearing. I really like the reversal of roles and the imaginary humans. The prose is well crafted and the dialogue is natural.
-- Camille

Well written. Very good prose. However, I wasn't sold on the idea. I've read this monster under the bed story many times before, and altering the trope adding nothing new to the piece. The monster are simply monsters because we are told thus--they don't do anything that a regular human wouldn't do. It feels like writing the protags as monsters was an attempt to dress up a tired plot.

That said, we really love you voice. Consider this your invitation to submit another piece.
-- Jordan

We wish you good luck in placing the story elsewhere.

Apparently, Every Day Fiction has two editors? Anyway, I've liked their stuff less and less since submitting, so I doubt I'll keep submitting (to them) unless I see something better from them soon.

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited September 27, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited September 27, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she doesn't mind us sharing this, Rick.

Nancy told me: "I liked the writing in this piece, but in the end I didn't find it compelling enough to pass on to Mike.
Please feel free to send us anything else you'd like,
though."

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
lehollis,

That sounds like the plotline for Monsters Inc. It seemed to do pretty well

I like the first part of the rejection, it's kind and wishes you luck. Then the second paragraph kind of rips you apart. Maybe they should just have one editor respond. Unless there is just one person, and they're schizophrenic.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
lehollis,

EDF does have two editors - if you can make it past Camille, who is the slush editor. I've had two make it past her to get quashed by Jordan, and one (in my opinion, the strongest of the three) that didn't even make it past her. I do appreciate the comments Jordan makes, though. I find he's usually pretty on the money.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's nice to get a rejection like that---nicer than a form rejection, I suppose---but somehow one longs to know how close one was to an acceptance.

Regretfully, most markets don't have the time. (Though my stuff has passed through several that did manage a comment or two.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
It is somewhat similar in feel to Monsters, Inc. The point of the reversal was a theme that because others look different, they are likely to be more like you than you realize. There's no way to retell the story without that element, so I'll just have to find an editor that sees it for what it is. Originally, I wrote it for a class assignment. It got a B, but it's much stronger in the revisions. I should probably put it up in F&F for some more ripping

Yes, it was kind of a schizophrenic reversal. "Wow! Nice story, which ultimately sucks. No thanks." :P

Still, I made it past the slush editor on my first try (after 15 years away from serious writing.) So ... woohoo! (Thanks for clarifying that, Jayson.)

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this rejection from Murky Depths, which actually made me feel pleased more than anything:

"Thank you for allowing Murky Depths to consider "The End of the World". Some lovely writing here but it's not really what we are looking for at Murky Depths so we're going to pass. I hope you have luck with it elsewhere though."

That particular story of mine is a little tough to categorize, so I'm trying it out in several different markets (one at a time).

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.