Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » first lines, second try

Author Topic: first lines, second try
kinglear
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
trying to work with some previous advice, I rewrote the open to be a dialouge free, resulting in a somewhat more mysterious start. So here's try number two, please complain, critique, scream, moan, and otherwise read and comment.. thanks!

-jon-

The clouds of Skyyl twisted in windswept agony above seas of deep white foam. Far above the highest cloud, a small ship shed wisps of lightning as it skipped into being outside the belt of ice and rock spinning endlessly around the planet.
The ship released bursts of light as it sank closer to the planet, slowing. Inside the tinted canopy, a pair of gilded eyes read information scrolling across a pair of dimmed consoles. A flipped switch released a wide cylinder from the hull before the engines flared to life and dropped the small craft into the atmosphere.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you asked for it

[1] "agony" is kind of an unavoidable mood-setting word, especially when it's used in your first sentence. Some readers, probably just a very, very small minority, may latch on to that as as foreshadowing, but the rest of us thinks it probably fits the scene of a ship coming into the atmosphere. Still, it may be worth thinking about. If agony and hard tension or conflict is the mood you're shooting for - excellent job. Otherwise, you could be poetic without the agony and get the job done just as nicely.

[2] It may make more sense to start the new paragraph one sentence later than you did, although you didn't really need to break the paragraph at all.

[3] "as it skipped into being outside" is just a convoluted bit of wording. "into being" can go.

[4] Don't you like how a person can nit-pick ANYthing?

[5] This is much, much better than the dialogue version. But if your dialogue version was unsuccessful it's because it was just the wrong conversation for a reader to encounter right out of the gate. It was like, "Wait a minute! There's too much stuff I obviously don't know!" This version gets rid of that problem.

Cameron

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited March 06, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it! I'll add one comment - in the last sentence, I'd like the name of the person flipping the switch to start the sentence:

"XXXXX flipped A/THE switch, releasING a wide cylinder from the hull before the engines flared to life and dropped the small craft into the atmosphere."

That way, we get your protagonist's name (if it is your P) and it becomes a little more active.

Alternatively, you could put the name in the previous sentence: "...XXXXX's gilded eyes read..." then start the next sentence "S/he flipped..."

If you were to have used the one with dialogue, I would have wanted the names of the speakers (or titles or whatever) and maybe some descriptions of them doing stuff.

Lee

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited March 06, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited March 06, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this better, too. Nice word-pictures. I'll second CW's paragraph comments and Punahougirl's naming suggestion. However, "a pair of gilded eyes" sounds like omniscient POV, or at least not the POV of the pilot since s/he wouldn't describe her/himself like that, so you're at a POV crossroad here. Tread lightly with it or risk Survivor's wrath.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 1932

In reply and requestin any further thoughts:

quote:

[3] "as it skipped into being outside" is just a convoluted bit of wording. "into being" can go.

[4] Don't you like how a person can nit-pick ANYthing?

[5] ... But if your dialogue version was unsuccessful it's because it was just the wrong conversation ... There's too much stuff I obviously don't know!" This version gets rid of that problem.

3: This is me trying to give an image of a ship coming out of my version of hyperspace, I was attempting to give an impression of it 'appearing' from nowhere, now given this thought, is 'into being' still as convoluted? or should I turn to something more generally associated with something appearing from nowehere

4: absolutely, its the best way to spot flaws

5: my only thought reagrding this is that you are getting lots of extraneous information here without anything concrete related to the story other than the fact that he's arriving on this planet where the first few chapters take place.

quote:
... I'd like the name of the person flipping the switch to start the sentence ...

I purposefully left out his name at this point. One of the threads in the beginning of the story is that when he actually tells his name to a government official, it ends up causing all sorts of problems for everyone involved. Dooes the lack of a name cause serious issues here, or is it meerely a 'it would be nice to know' king of thing? I felt leaving a name out would add a little flavor to it, but it could easily be added.

quote:
... so you're at a POV crossroad here....

My impression here was to simply go into decribing of the scene. I used the wording and POV as it is because I wanted it to be outside everything (there are others similar scenes planned for later in the story). This scene is intended to set up the opening act, as just after this open the scene switches to another character on the planet, I guess offhand I would compare it to OSC's conversations between adults in Ender's Game, where it was in different font and above the text. The idea at this point is the same, just incorporating it into the story.

ok, end incoherent rambling,, further thoughts?

-jon-

ccwbass
Member # 1850

Well, here we come to the one flaw of the 13-line exercise, which is that it is almost impossible to shut off the brain when it wants to divine what comes next, and our imagination will fill the Plot vacuum with anything it can, um, imagine. Generally speaking, the more text we have to work with, the more generous our readings tend to be (I think). But a lot can still be seen even in a mere 13 lines. The responses I had to the first 13 lines I submitted were invauable.
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I purposefully left out his name at this point. One of the threads in the beginning of the story is that when he actually tells his name to a government official, it ends up causing all sorts of problems for everyone involved. Dooes the lack of a name cause serious issues here, or is it meerely a 'it would be nice to know' king of thing? I felt leaving a name out would add a little flavor to it, but it could easily be added.

I do think that you need to name your protagonist for the reader. I know I read about this somewhere, and you don't really gain much (as you said, flavor) by keeping it a secret from the READER. However, this doesn't mean XXXXX tells his name to anyone else in the story until he provides it to that government official. And I am assuming (!) that he doesn't know giving his name will cause problems because maybe he would not want to give it in that instance. Plus, you don't have to play wordgames like "a flipped switch" to try to avoid naming the person - that can bother the reader.

I do think it works better to name him/her (and there is another word game, avoiding the gender) in the "flipped" sentence. If you really want to avoid it, you could use a nickname, or shortened version of the name. Let's say the sentence is that "Gus flipped..." Then the official can clue us in:

"Gus Borgshiremeister? As in Augustus Borgshiremeister? The same one that ran off with the head councilman's daughter? Guards!"

Of course, you can do whatever you like! But I think it would be more than "just nice to know" the protagonist's name.

Here is a quote from OSC, not exactly the info I was looking for, but all the same it bears on this. "Most novice writers imagine that this is how suspense is created - by holding back key information from the reader. But that is not so. Suspense comes from having almost ALL the information - enough information that the audience is emotionally involved and cares very much about that tiny bit of information left unrevealed. Usually the only information that you withhold is this: what is going to happen next." (pg 85, How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy)

Hope this helps Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 1932

quote:
...The responses I had to the first 13 lines I submitted were invauable.

i would agree,, any criticism is a starting point for improvement! once I have a fully written first chapter I'll bring it back for more comments.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Inside the tinted canopy, a pair of gilded eyes read information scrolling across a pair of dimmed consoles. A flipped switch released a wide cylinder from the hull before the engines flared to life and dropped the small craft into the atmosphere.

Granted you get some free paragraphs at the beginning of a story, but these sentences effectively begin POV here. If you want to give simply a paragraph or two of description, you might get rid of the 'Inside the canopy' sentence entirely, and remove the entity from the next one, describing the departure of the craft only from the outside of the ship. If this is going to be omniscient POV or if each chapter begins with an omniscient POV vignette, leave it as is.

I do like the 'gilded eyes,' though.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 1932

quote:
I do like the 'gilded eyes,' though.

thanks.. It's actually going to be a story point not just a descriptor too...

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If the gilded eyes are important, mention them when they become an issue. And the reader should be able to instantly recognize why they are being mentioned. Even leaving aside the POV issues, when you play at casually dropping apparently unimportant information in the middle of a very cinematic description and expecting the reader to remember it later, you'll probably lose (the reader, in several senses).

If the gilded eyes are important because of what they can see, then now is a good time to establish that point by describing what the guy with the eyes is seeing. If they're important because of how others react, then wait till someone is around to react to them.

Extract that principle, generalize it, then write what the guy in the cockpit is exeriencing here. We don't care what birds see, what a bird sees or doesn't see almost never has an impact on the story (unless you have talking birds or something like that).

The prose is good. But it would be better if it were actually talking about things that we can see will matter to the story (or better yet, matter immediately).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the previous version, so I'm looking at it with fresh eyes.

I liked the POV for a beginning. If the whole story were going to be told this way, I wouldn't like it, but it works as an introduction to the setting.

"A flipped switch" was jarring. I agree with the other commenters that you could give the name, but that's not necessary quite yet, because you are still maintaining a distant POV, and the pilot's name might personalize it too soon. Try "The pilot flipped a switch to release...."

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is me trying to give an image of a ship coming out of my version of hyperspace, I was attempting to give an impression of it 'appearing' from nowhere, now given this thought, is 'into being' still as convoluted? or should I turn to something more generally associated with something appearing from nowehere

I didn't get that meaning at all; I assumed that it started "being outside" in the sense that it had previously been inside. I would stick to the more familiar language for this kind of event, which can be confusing at the best of times

quote:

I would add it if you will be using his POV any time soon. Otherwise, use a title for him (e.g. the pilot).

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you want to do the POV of the government official, then do the POV of the government official. If not, then don't pull this @#$%.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Language, Survivor! I think you meant to say, "don't pull this [censored]!"
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just posted a comment about your first try. Go look. Really, go look right now. NO, don't finish reading this, just go look at my comment. REALLY. PLEASE?? Why are you still reading this? Okay, here, listen to your gut. Your first instincts were better. Just needs a 'little' touch up.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of thoughts....

First of all, POV is slung around on this site like cannon fodder. It seems as if people are looking for POV issues! Sometimes I agree with their analysis, but not this time. There is no reason that you cannot have an opening paragraph or section that is told in an omniscient POV and then switch to 3rd limited. This is what OSC called a "free paragraph" and boot camp and it is intended to set the scene even before POV is clearly established. It works particularly well if that pilot is going to be your POV character, and you just sort of slide inside his/her head....but it even works if you want to show that a ship is approaching the planet and you are about to switch to the surface of the planet to get inside someone else's head. In fact, with the dialogue opening, the second scenario is where I imagined it was going.

I looked at JB's comments on the other thread, and I think part of the problem with the dialogue might be that toward the end the dialogue became a little unrealistic. JB's suggestion was good for hwo to change that, and there are a few military people on this site you might be able to wave any revisions by.

My suggestion...marry the two. The last sentence I would actualy reword and switch with the second to last sentence. You have an exterior view of the ship, and I'm flying with you toward that ship....then show me the craft shooting out of it....then go insite to the cockpit. (The way it is you take me into the cockpit then spit me out again.) Then you could say something like about a radio crackling to life or the like and go into the dialogue....then a scene transition and where you were going before.

My comments about the dialogue weren't that you should get rid of them, only ground us and add description so that I wasn't seeing cartoons. You put this paragraph first and I wno't see cartoons.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.