Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The naming at the pool (short story)

Author Topic: The naming at the pool (short story)
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first time here at Hatrack as a writer...It's not exactly 13 lines on my word processor either, or I'd have to cut mid-sentence. Anyway, it's a draft, so I figure no harm done. Do you think it works?

Rhana was bathing in a pool deep within the forest, her pale skin a beacon in the heavy shadows of the canopy, when she first met Elyasa. She saw a man walk out from under the trees, and stare at her. He was filthy, covered with dust, and Rhana, frightened, read in his eyes the madness that the forest cast over those who did not know its true nature.
She did not speak, did not move. The man said, in a voice that rang still with the cries of the birds under the trees, ‘They cast me out.’
Looking into his eyes, Rhana felt an odd kind of pity rise in her.
‘They cast me out with nothing, not even the clothes on my back, not even a name.’
She spoke at last, dredged up the words from some infinitely far away place. ‘Who–?’
The man did not answer. His eyes trained on her, he was repeating the words of a prayer, ‘And guard us from the shadows of the wilderness, guard us always, o Protector…’ Guard us. Elyasa, in the old, sacred language. Already that was the name for him in Rhana's mind, the name she would give him later, and everyone knew that to name something was to have power over it until the Protector withdrew his hands from the world at the end of time. Elyasa.

[This message has been edited by Silver6 (edited April 27, 2004).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, I'm going to suggest that you not allow Rhana to call Elyasa "Elyasa" till after she names him that...at least in her own mind. That builds up the passage to the climactic moment, the point where Rhana names him.

POV nits here and there, like "her pale skin a beacon" and some omissions "She did not speak, did not move." More omissions of POV information than inclusions of non-POV information, so perhaps you are simply writing a fairly sparse POV. But it comes off a bit uneven. Sometimes we get Rhana's thoughts, sometimes not.

Use paragraphs for your dialogue, and don't do it mechanically. The reason for the paragraph formating of dialogue isn't a grammer thing, it is a visual aide to the reader, so the dialogue (including non-verbal components) is set off from the narrative or POV text.

One last little nit, have Rhana figure out what language the man is using before she figures out what he's saying. That is both a POV and continiuty issue.

Storywise, I think that this is a pretty engaging beginning...as long as these two are main characters in your story, that is. Where the relationship between two characters is a major element of the dramatic arc of the story, the start of that relationship is a natural starting point for the story, though not the only possible starting point.

So it works, but still needs work

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

Thanks for the feedback, Survivor. I was actually trying to write a fairly sparse POV, like you said, a bit like in fairytales, to give the story, at least in its first scenes, a mythical feel. I had not realised that I had a couple of POV inconsistencies (not to mention the big one with the language Elyasa was using).
The starting point felt natural to me given that this is the story of the relationship between Rhana and Elyasa, and how power oscillates from one of them to the other as they become friends, and then bitter enemies.

Survivor
Member # 213

For writing a fairy-tale "POV" you actually want to use a narrator voice, not a modern POV as such. That's how fairy-tales are traditionally written (because that's how they're traditionally told, eh?).

Not sure I'd recommend doing that, unless this is going to be a fairly short work.

Silver6
Member # 1415

Whoops, wrong choice of words, I was not thinking a lot (which is not a good excuse :-) ). I wasn't thinking about a fairytale, but about an epic story like the Mahabharata,where the point of view is fairly sparse, but is within a determined character (at least for a while), and where there is no narrative voice in the sense of someone actually telling the story around a campfire.
Survivor
Member # 213

The Mahabharata? I don't know...seems a bit ambitious.

For a fictional epic, I would use a narrative frame, a sort of story around the telling of the story which shows how the story comes to be told. All real epics have "provenance", so that a person reading the Mahabharata for the first time knows that it is an epic cycle involving the Hindu gods which is central to Hindu meditations on Justice and Righteousness and all that. In a fictional epic, you need to create that, usually through a narrator character that has some kind of investment in the epic story you're telling.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.