Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Titles - Again and Again and Again

Author Topic: Titles - Again and Again and Again
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of respect for Christine I am moving my problem onto a new and fresh topic. So as not to distract her discussion from her topic.

All right, most of you wanted to know what the setting and genre was. So,

The genre is Science Fantasy
The setting is a Second Earth, post apolyptic destruction of Earth I, and Earth 2 exists, maybe millions of years later, with a few notable qualities. It's tech best resembles the rpesumed technology of 2300 AD, and the world is significantly smaller because it takes place on amoon. The atcual planet operates and functions the same, however, for all intents and purposes.

The setup ivolves two major human civilizations, a third that is disorganized, etc.

It's also important to note the main plot follows characters that are hybrids between the "alien-natives" (hehe oximoron) and humans. (but we're talking about like 99.9999% human)

So now the question remains,
What sort of title would best allure you to pick up a book like this?

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate you moving this to a new thread. I doubt many people even saw it buried down there on my title thread.

Let me just cut and paste over your previous suggestions:

1. Person. Evander (?) - That’s no good. Title? Well, there’s “Night Watcher” I suppose ...
2. Place. Second Earth, Civilization ... The Complex? -No that sucks ...
3. (?) Um ... no, how about–Blade of Truth (sorry but I can’t get past how that sounds melodramatic ...)
4. The Fall of Second Earth ... sounds like an old, bad, OSC book ... The Coming of Order ... I don't know that i care for that either ...

5. 7893 - actually that may not be so bad, in its own very weird way

6. The Childrens' Place ... doesn't exactly coincide with the writing we have done ... illfitting, if you will ... how about The Fugitives' Earth

7. Dawn and Dusk ... maybe not, War and Peace ... well, Tolstoy's got me beat to that one ... how about, "Dark and darker" (seems melodramatic AGAIN!!!!)

8. Unfamiliar Dawn

9. Evander's Truth, or Childrens' Hope (these aren't so good)

10. The ... (verb) (beyondish-type-word) (article) (noun)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I kind of like Unfamiliar Dawn

The Fall of Second Earth isn't awful

most of the rest were.

Let's see here...

How about just Second Earth?

7893 is meaningless as a title...but somethingl ike 1000 Years After the Fall of Earth...I know, I know, too long....maybe 1000 Years of War or 1000 Years to Fall....

The blank blank....hmmm The Second Earth...nah....The nothing, never mind

The Fall of Earth (or second earth, if you feel you must, but this would probably be more correct since earth has fallen a couple of times now. )

Rise and Fall

Birth and Rebirth

Death and Rebirth

ummmm....I'm running out of them. I think if you threw out a few more ideas maybe we could sort of get an idea of where you're going with this.

UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll take a whack at it.
The Eighth Millennium
Evander's Earth
Earth's Reflection
Neoterra
Earth II
Of Earth (???)

Oh, by the way, what do they call this new earth? Maybe you can title your book after that.

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

I'm actually hoping to call the series Second Earth, and I'm kind of liking Unfamiliar Dawn, but ... I'm not sure sure its entirely fitting.

How would either of you respond to a title that didn't necessarily come directly out of the book. "Unfamiliar Dawn" sounds nice, and I derive it from the confusion/culture-shock the main character faces twice, but it isn't actually a dawn, (which I'm using as a figurative), and isn't actually-directly taken form the book.

I'm clearly stumbling. Do you know what I am trying to say?

Oh and Unheardof (The new Earth is called, "Second Earth" or more commonly just Earth)

[This message has been edited by Alias (edited May 21, 2004).]

UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay.

I don't have a problem with a title that doesn't come directly from the book. "Unfamiliar Dawn" sounds a little too poetic for me--but don't let that put you off, there have certainly been successful titles like that. "The Stars Like Dust" is one that comes to mind right off the bat.

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

The trouble I see with "Unfamiliar Dawn" is that I'm not sure, from your description, that it gives the right impression. The title would give me the idea of someone going to a new planet and living under a new sun with a new dawn....or something traumatic happens to the curent planet such that dawn looks different. But either way, this would have to happen during the book, and from your description (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that the dawn is unfamiliar to the reader, not the characters. But hey, if I'm wrong on that, then I like the title.
Alias
Member # 1645

Unheardof,

True it does seem a bit poetic, but then again I sort of like that in a title. But your introduce a good point in that poetry isn't connotatively similar to the melieu and style of writing in any way.

Christine,

That's an interesting point, so, to you, the dawn is a physical-literat thing, and so while the "dawn" would be unfamiliar to the reader, it would not be to the characters. Interesting. As for me, I had only thought of it as figurative. The theme of the novel is discovery of truth, and so unfamiliar dawn, figuratively speaking, somewhat ties in, sort of ...

Anyway, that was my thinking.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to send me the first chapter I'd be happy to read it and see if I can come up with any ideas.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.