Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Quick bit of one line confusion....

Author Topic: Quick bit of one line confusion....
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a person talking about e-mail addresses. Should I spell it out as below?

“Yes,” George agreed. “We assign e-mail addresses as first name dot last name at St. John’s dot com."

or do this:

“Yes,” George agreed. “We assign e-mail addresses as firstname.lastname@St.Johns.com."

The hassles of new technology in writing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do it the second way, because that's the way I'd hear it.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also choose the second way, mainly because I had to blink before understanding how the first way worked.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
jabbiati
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for jabbiati   Email jabbiati         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I wouldn't do it at all unless it was critical to the work. I'd find another way around it.

OR

I would use real (or close to it) internet terminology. Like,

The username is your first name and last name concatenated with an underscore. The domain name is umptyscrunch dot com.

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The second way has my vote.

But I think the domain is more likely to be StJohns.com or saintjohns.com (or maybe .edu), because it's unlikely anyone at St. John's would have had the foresight to register the domain johns.com just so they could add the subdomain st.johns.com.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

You're probably right, Eric, i honestly hadn't thought it through all that well.
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Both would freak me out.

I'm not used to emails in fiction. But version 1 is much worse.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
The first version sounds contrived. Like you're trying to sound like you use the internet, but don't. I had no trouble with the second version, of course I am a netadmin during the day. :]

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
This probably won't help, but it's interesting history:
http://www.vectorinter.net/e_who_invented_@_symbol.html

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Italian that I know would state publicly that any attachment they had was small, especially if the French were admitting to having a petit one.

<LOL> Thanks for that

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't write out the email address in either way. I think you should say something like, "We assign email addresses as your first and last name, separated by a dot, at our domain."

In other words, be descriptive instead of literal.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen- That would depend more on the kind of person that is speaking. Some people like to spell things out exactly, which Christine's version seems suited to. Also, if hes agreeing, suppose the first person said it your way, and george agrees, restating the fact in a different way.

Christine- I'd use the second version. Its like a phone number. If someone gives a phone number, I'd write it as it's "622-0509" not "it's six two two, oh five oh nine". Same goes for email I'd say.

[This message has been edited by Eric Sherman (edited May 23, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Eric Sherman (edited May 23, 2004).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

George happens to be a computer savy system administrator, which does lead me to believe that he would not use the version Kathleen described, which ahs something of a high language, non-geeky feel to it.
Jules
Member # 1658

In that case I'd go with jabbiati's suggestion.

A geeky point: a lot of _true_ geeks suggest that you shouldn't use your real name as part of your e-mail address, because two people can have the same real name, and if you have such a policy it causes confusion when you do get such a conflict. These people would usually suggest using a chosen 'nickname' as the mailbox part of your address.

See: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.5

Decide for yourself whether your character's likely to be one of these

Christine
Member # 1646

My character is a geek describing a real working system to a non-geek. First of all, it's not in his POV, it's in the non-geeks POV, so skipping the line makes no sense unless I skip the entire scene, which I won't do. Second, firstname.lastname@domain.com is a very common structure, whether duplicates become problems or not, especially at businesses. It would be far MORE unrealistic to use a nickname at a business, where professionalism is a requirement before unique identifiers. True geeks in the business world usually come to realize, sooner or later, that compromise is critical. Third, later in the conversation this very point if brought up and the geek mentions that in those cases he throws in middle initials. Fourth, I find it to be a cowardly approach to writing to skip things just because they're hard. This is the way the conversation happens, it makes perfect sense, and therefore, I'm not going to do a complicated work-around because I'm a little fuzzy about the exact delivery mode.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I think you've chosen the best way of doing what you're trying to do. I don't find any of the arguments against using firstname.lastname@company.com convincing. The formation firstname.lastname@company.com is a very common structure for corporate e-mail addresses. As for how it's written, anything which did not look like an e-mail address would just be more confusing to the reader.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

quote:
I don't find any of the arguments against using firstname.lastname@company.com convincing.

Just for the record, neither do I (and, yes, my company does use that structure). Just suggesting that, depending on how geeky your character really was, he might.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.