Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » volunteers needed

Author Topic: volunteers needed
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Could somebody please help me out? I need a couple readers to give me some feedback. I've got a story (that I personally LOVE--maybe my favorite story I've ever written), and I have a concern about it. I'm afraid it might be too philosophical for a popular audience. The part of the story that really interested me in writing it is the philosophical stuff behind it, and the plot mostly just serves as a vehicle for the philosophical ideas. I would love to get a couple people to read it and give me some feedback. It's probably about 6,000-7,000 words. I would like to get feedback from at least one person who digs the deep, philosophical stuff (think William Faulkner, Earnest Hemmingway, and Henry James), and one person who doesn't mauch care for the philosophical stuff. I want to find out if the story has universal appeal, or if it's purely esoteric, so I can figure out how to sell it.

Any volunteers?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look. E-mail's in the profile.
Last time I was exposed to philosophy was five years ago. I do read literary stuff, if that's what you mean, but I'm not a big fan of it. I don't know what category that puts me in. Halfway through, I guess.

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, "dig the really deep, philosophical stuff." Send it along, but I'm teribly behind from going out of town this wekend so give me the week to get back to you.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Thanks a lot. I will try to get it to you tonight.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very philosophic, but I'm also very quick to decry "message" literature. I'll gut your story, and for an extra dollar I'll spay it and give it a flea bath.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you could use someone who HATES Faulkner and Hemingway... ok, hate may be too strong. It's not that I don't care for philosophy, per se, but if you want to compare yourself to them, and you want someone who has not enjoyed them, then I may be your girl.

punahougirl84 AT yahoo DOT com

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Whoa, puna, chill with the harsh language. I didn't mean to compare myself to Hemingway or Faulkner. I hate them with every bone in my body. Well, Hemingway, anyway. Faulkner has his merits but I personally don't enjoy him.

Christine and Silver, you both should have gotten the story last night. Let me know if you didn't.

Survivor and Punahougirl, I will send it to you right now. Thanks for looking at it for me.

Survivor, that's a go on the flea bath. I'm putting the check in the mail right now.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited June 02, 2004).]

WuSong
Member # 2071

- posted      Profile for WuSong   Email WuSong         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm into some philosophical writing, but I'm rather picky. Send it to me and I'll let you know what I think.
WuSong201@aol.com

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Platygrrl
Member # 2074

- posted      Profile for Platygrrl   Email Platygrrl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun...I love picking at philisophical stuff. So does my husband. If you don't mind me sharing with him, too (he's no writer himself, doesn't enjoy it, but definately my harshest and best critic), send it along.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

WuSong and Platygrrl:

I'm not on my computer right now so I don't have access to the story, but I'll send it along to you both in the next couple of days. Platygrrl, your husband is more than welcome to read it if he wants.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.