Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Cloggers?

Author Topic: Cloggers?
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard the boots creep up behind me. I sensed their presence. Ever so slight, I moved my head. From the corner of my eye, sharp silver-white cloggers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a word that feels right. But then, what has felt right in the past has not always been the way to go.

By the context I hope it is obvious that cloggers = boots. A type of slang unique to the character a few in his circle. What do you think?

Also, does the term cloggers mean anything else? Something unintended? For instance, in one WIP I have in-story TV superhero, the Fame Spearman. One reader thought it had, and pardon me if this is offesive to anyone, phallic connotations. Certainly if cloggers means something possibly offensive I would definitly want to think twice.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Michaelpfs
Member # 2209

- posted      Profile for Michaelpfs   Email Michaelpfs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could use more context, but when I hear cloggers I think of these really ugly wooden sandals that the little girls next door wore in the late 1970's. I don't think that's what you intended.

Man, how many WIP's do you have. You are a busy person.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<Man, how many WIP's do you have. You are a busy person.>

Actaully, just three. I'm mainly interesting in 'The Man Without Dreams', the first rough draft, which I completed in May. I post different parts in hopes to see what works, what doesn't. Not busy at all.

I guess in this instance I did not want to use the word 'boot' in the same small paragraph. Anyone know any good slang for a male dress boot? Or maybe even brand names. I must confess I am ignorant on the subject.

xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the south, "cloggers" are another name for tap dancers. When I read your passage, tap dancing immediately came to mind. Not sure if that's what you're going for. Perhaps it's a regional term.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Here in the south, "cloggers" are another name for tap dancers.>

I was born and raised in Virginia, so I should know that. Then again I know nothing about tap dancing.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I too pictured clogging shoes, not boots. That is, the particular type of tap shoes that cloggers wear.

Even having read boots at the very start of the paragraph, I still pictured tap shoes when you mentioned cloggers.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kickers" is accepted slang for cowboy boots (or cowboys, depending on the context).

The slang is short for s***kickers, which similarly describes either the boots or the wearer.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sharp silver-white cloggers.

Yeah, this didn't work for me. When I think of cloggers, I think of people wearing thick wooden shoes and that didn't fit with "sharp silver-white".

Why not just use dress boots?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Why not just use dress boots?>

Does it sound alright in the same paragraph?

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the folks who think "cloggers" didn't quite work. Esp. mikemunisl - sharp and white made me think of something more like a weapon - a dagger or something - not boots.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for kickers.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the tap dancers immediately came to my mind, too.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
"Clogs" are shoes with wooden soles, which is probably the origin of "cloggers" for tap dancing, as I would expect tap dancing shoes to be of a similar construction.

If this description fits the boots in question, then I have no problem with it. If it doesn't, I'd say find another word.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.