Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » And...and...again...well?

Author Topic: And...and...again...well?
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, I am looking for readers of the first couple of chapters in my fantasy novel, Sister of Deceit(around 6,000 words). I am particularly looking for feedback on how emotionally gripping the text is.

As always, I would also appreciate feedback on the first 13 lines of my text.

quote:
Immediately upon awakening, May was sure that she had recovered from the plague. All pain was gone. None of the sourness in her throat remained. In fact, if she wanted to, she could spring out of bed and dance -- she was healthy again. She would live!

But then she realized the truth. The pain hadn't vanished; rather, in the confusion that came after emerging from slumber, she had momentarily overlooked it. The sourness in her throat was also still there. And no, she did not have the strength to leap out of bed. She probably didn't even have the strength to lift her head.

Or did she? Maybe she did! Maybe things weren't that bad.

Concentrating with all her strength, May dragged her head an inch above the pillow. She managed a grimace of victory before her head fell back down, hitting her thin pillow. The hard, wooden bed underneath it jarred her upon impact, opening several blisters on her mouth. A warm liquid started oozing out of them, trickling into her mouth.

Impulsively, May tried spitting it out. However, hard as she tried, she couldn't remove it all. She tried lifting her arms to wipe the liquid off, but there was no strength. Gods, she thought, I'm about to die! I can't even wipe my mouth clean, and I'm going to die!

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited December 14, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bit too emotional, not gripping enough.

Still, I think it's been a while since I looked at your first chapter, so send it on over.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gods part is a little off. Okay, so she's polytheistic, which means this is probably in ancient times. But I don't think anyone would just think "gods". They would probably think of a particular god. Perhaps their city's patron god (Athena for Athens), maybe the god of health or disease (Hermes for greek), god of death (Hel for Norse), or the head god (Jupiter for Roman).

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited December 16, 2004).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
This frag also strikes me as overly emotional. I know she's ill, and is probably ecstatic that she's feeling better at all, but I liked the previous frags better in that respect. The flow of her thoughts was easier to read.

I would ask to read, but I don't think I've had enough time away from this to be truly objective. Maybe next time.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited December 16, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.