Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Merodian

Author Topic: The Merodian
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first 13 from a short story I'm working on. Got the idea for it driving home from school today, and I'm about halfway done:

Amanda stood and contemplated the circular patch of grass. It was ten feet in diameter and everything that came within a few feet of it had died. In the center was a large dome shaped structure made of mud and sticks. Amanda took a couple steps toward it, but was snatched from behind.
“What’re you doing?” Jake asked as he held his daughter in his arms.
“Getting a closer look.”
“Mandy, if you had gotten any closer to it I would have lost you.” He pointed down to the ground not even a foot in front of them. Littered within a few feet of the circle were dozens and dozens of dead flies and wasps. When she understood, he said, “Promise me you’ll never let your curiosity get the best of you. Any circle of grass you see like this is home to a Merodian spider. Leave them be, or we will all regret it.”
“Yes, father,” she complied. She watched her father walk back to the house and planned her future excursion into the spider’s lair.

-ck

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, so is POV Jake or Amanda? I ask because the second paragraph threw me. Does Amanda think of her father as "Jake"?

I'm not really hooked yet. There's a spider that kills everything within a ten-foot radius, and we've got a girl (how old?) who's going to do the typically stupid thing and go into the spider's lair. Sounds like it might be cool, but I don't think that I'd keep reading from this.

One last thing: why doesn't the spider eat the dead bugs that are all over the place? You don't have to tell us in the intro, but eventually we might want to know.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to which genre you're writing in. Fantasy? Sci-fi? Horror? Or a blend of something?

I agree with Jaina about the girl going to go "do the stupid thing." It's a bit predictable and a little clichéd.

On the other hand, I would keep reading from this. (If this is a horror story of sorts, I can understand why Jaina might not.) Right now, however, I'm afraid I can't critique your whole story because I'm busy with school right now. I will offer more suggestions on these first lines if you need it.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 2478

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the begining, and it makes me wonder about the spider and what will happen to the girl. I'm not sure i'd call it cliche, since the story basically calls for it. You may though not want to lay it on so thick. Either only give a small hint that the girl is still interested in it, or at first the girl doesn't plan on going to the spider, but slowly changes her mind.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

It's going to be a horror short story I'll submit to Fantasy World Geographic hopefully. If I have a toy of the girl's land in the spider's circle on accident, and she goes to get it.. would that be cliched?

Thanks for the POV input Jaina. That needs to be changed; it is from Amanda's POV, and only one person I've ever known has referred to his parents by their first name.

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but from what I can tell, no, it doesn't sound clichéd as long as you can make it work.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.
This is nice.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing is good and I think the story concept will work. The problem I have is with the believability of the situation. Amanda isn't a toddler by the way she speaks, so I have a hard time believing she got to this age without seeing or knowing about a Merodian Spider. Something that is as dangerous as you make is sound would have been imprinted upon her before this age. Now if you start the story with something like: "Ever since she heard about them, Amanda was facinated by Merodian spiders. When one turned up near her home, she visited the site every day." And then go on to describing her elicit excursion planning.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dude. I thought the same thing.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
By "circle of grass"--you mean dead grass? As it is it sounds like a nice circle of green grass surrounded by desert, or something.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I never even considered that it might mean dead grass. Though that does make a lot more sense, now that you mention it.

I think Dude has expressed a problem the rest of us were too lazy to clarify. There is something screwy going on with these characters.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read this fragment, I wondered why the father was willing to let such a dangerous creature live.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this is your very, very first draft because the first paragraph is really... I don't know... the structure of it just isn't really working for me... sounds like you were just in the process of slapping the idea together there (which is what I'm guessing you were doing).
You need to throw in some better descriptive detail in there to draw the reader more into the scene, especially if you were trying to go for the feeling of surprise when her father snatched her from behind... try to intensify the moment better, so that actually can surprise the reader. Right now it's just lacking any feeling at all.

And I'm going to attempt to answer Keeley's question for you, mostly to see if I'm following the story correctly (if I'm wrong, then you might need to change something):

"When I read this fragment, I wondered why the father was willing to let such a dangerous creature live."

I'm guessing that he wouldn't kill it because if something were able to kill on the scale as large as is being suggested, there really wouldn't be any safe means for her father to kill the spider without being killed himself…

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the toy thing works much better. And Shendülféa's right: I'm not much for horror, so that's probably why I'm not hooked. That said, I think I'll just be lurking on this thread from now on.

Good luck with your story, though!

Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Edythe
Member # 2488

- posted      Profile for Edythe   Email Edythe         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it so far. Definately makes me want to know what's going to happen next. Did wonder how old Mandy was,small child, pre-teen,or?. I'd like to see the rest when you've finished if you want to send it on.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
michelracineco
Member # 2485

- posted      Profile for michelracineco   Email michelracineco         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend toward the cliche. I wouldn't read past that last sentence. The whole beginning, I'm into it. And then I read that last line and that's it: I just can't stand stories where characters are just plain stupid without in their action, without any plausible justification. With that beginning, I would think you can come up with something more. Maybe she doesn't know about the spiders, and the dad isn't there to say. I dunno, just "writing" out loud.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

RavenStarr: Actually, I was expecting him to gather the community around to try and kill it. I got the impression it was one of those creatures that's too dangerous to humans to live.
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
'Eh... maybe... I was just throwing my guess in hoping cklabyrinth would have confirmed something by now rather than leaving me to wonder.

And along the lines of what Edythe said, I was kinda assuming that she was a child... young enough that maybe if she might of actually known something of the spider, then she might not have the basic common sense to let her fear of it overwhelm her curiosity of it, to where her father would need to emphasize it's danger by re-telling it to her (being a parent has given me a constant insight to that concept).

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Eh, I'm back from the dead.

""When I read this fragment, I wondered why the father was willing to let such a dangerous creature live."

I'm guessing that he wouldn't kill it because if something were able to kill on the scale as large as is being suggested, there really wouldn't be any safe means for her father to kill the spider without being killed himself… "

Ask and ye shall receive. That's exactly what I had in mind, Raven. And if the community tried to band up and kill the spider, it would prevail. There are also multiple spiders, as the story will acknowledge once I finish it. Not really normal spiders are these..

Thanks all for the insight; I do have some work to do on it still.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
regarding the motivation of the child... never underestimate the stupidity of kids. Thank god my kids lived through their childhoods. I had my doubts. When my son was in the neighborhood of 9 years old, I emphatically told the child to stay away from the nightshade berries that grew like weeds in our neighborhood because they would kill him. So he tried to get a friend to eat some. Told him to stay off the roof... I hear 2 years later about the day he had 75 kids up there while I was at work. He did whatever I told him NOT to, just because it must be FUN if it was forbidden. Kids think they are immortal at that age. While a 6 year old tends to be fairly obedient, a child in the age range of 8-10 would be more likely to let their curiosity get the better of them. And by the time they are 14, forget about telling them anything! You'll be dumber than dirt until they become young adults and have their own families. Then you'll achieve sage status, or sainthood. Heh.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

I equate that with the stupidity of my blue heeler puppy. He's recently figured out how to shimmy his way out of his kennel, and everytime he gets out I put him back in and try to blockade where he gets out.

Every single time he manages to break through it again, and yesterday was the turning point. He got out and I didn't notice for about 20 minutes. Then I hear inside my house what sounds like a calf being killed by wolves, then I look out my window and see my rottweiler off in the distance being chased off by two stray dogs. So out of curiosity I go out and pick up a stick on the way -- I'm not having someone's cow die on my property.

As I'm running out there, I look at my blue heeler's pen and I see he's not in there. I then run in a full sprint out to the tank, and it's not a calf dying, but six stray dogs attacking my blue heeler pup. I kick a few off and one is still biting my pup, so I hit it with a stick and get them all away. And today my pup is literally immobile; one of the dogs broke his leg I think.

If I would have known it was my pup I would have gotten a rifle and shot the dogs. But at least now my heeler pup won't be getting out for a while.

Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about your dog.

A potentially interesting slant might be if the father permits the spider to live near his home because it serves an essential ecological function, protects his crops or home, is protected by law, or is actually harvested itself for something (an enzyme, silk, etc.).

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

I still don't get it. If there are multiple spiders and they're that dangerous, why are the humans even alive?

I live in a place where we deal with fire ants (known to blind cattle), killer bees, brown recluse spiders, rattlesnakes, etc. If you don't make the merodian spiders aggressive, then I could see humans possibly allowing them to live, but the people I know around here fight all the animals/insects I listed above with everything they have if they come near a human house especially one with children. And all of those creatures leave you alone unless you become a threat in some way.

Humans are the most aggressive species on this planet and I have a hard time believing that aggression wouldn't be turned on the merodian spiders if they were perceived as a threat to human existence.

Unless, as has been suggested, you bring them into the ecology. That I would believe because it would suggest balance in the world you've created.

Just my opinion. I'll shut up now.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

"If there are multiple spiders and they're that dangerous, why are the humans even alive?"

I think you pretty much answered your own question: "And all of those creatures leave you alone unless you become a threat in some way."

Keeley
Member # 2088

No, I didn't. Apparently I wasn't clear in my post.

This incredibly dangerous spider is right next to his house and his daughter almost goes into its nest. Since it is near his house, it is a threat whether it's aggressive or not. Every father I've known would rather die trying to kill the beastie, aggressive or not, than let their daughter get killed by it.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

1. He never actually stated where their house is… he never actually set any setting of the story beyond the spider’s nest.

2. Would he risk his life to kill something that will most definitely kill him knowing that there's a high chance that he might not be able to kill it before it kills him…?

3. You're also somewhat expressing one of my issues of why I don't like the 13 line restriction... people here tend to try criticizing an entire story from only 13 lines, and they don't seem to understand that really can't work like that. Do you really know what goes on passed the 13 lines? Everything you're assuming in your line of questioning as far as you know could be completely clarified passed the 13 lines.
Now, I really don't have a problem with the 13 line restriction if people simply put a lot more effort into remember that 13 lines is just the opening, it's far from being the whole story. (I don't mean that to come out sounding like ranting, but it's been bugging me for a while).

Keeley
Member # 2088

quote:
She watched her father walk back to the house and planned her future excursion into the spider’s lair

Maybe I misread it, but to me that implies the house is within sight and I interpreted it to mean that the nest was near the house.

As for #2, that's why I mentioned getting the community involved in an earlier post.

And lastly, #3. I have no desire to read further because between the stupidity of the daughter and the description of a creature that was impossibly dangerous, yet allowed to live near a family's house, I didn't get hooked in the first 13 lines. I applaud your patience (no sarcasm... I mean it).

I know the first thirteen are only the opening and I thought I was treating them as such. If anyone here thought otherwise, I'm sorry. I should have been more clear in my critique.

I, also, was not trying to critique the entire story. You're right that it could be clarified beyond those first thirteen, but there's nothing in what he's posted that makes me want to read further and that's what I was trying to focus on.

And now, if I say anything further, I know this will degenerate, so I really and truly will shut up now.

[edited to take out a condescending comment and clean up a sentence.]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited April 13, 2005).]

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

O'crap... my bad... you win this round... but I'll get you next time, Gadget, next time!

"I didn't get hooked in the first 13 lines."

Yea... that's a line I hear around here so often, and that really bugs me. Honestly... I can't think of any story I've ever read in my entire life, other than maybe "Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland", that had me "hooked" in 13 lines... Ender's Game sure didn't... pretty much the entire first chapter of "Xenocide" actually bored the crap out of me. So... yea... to avoid going on another rant... that's basically my point right there...

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted my post.
never mind. I apologize for replying.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited April 13, 2005).]

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The truth is that really well written books usually do hook discerning readers in those first thirteen, though. "Hook" may be the wrong term, though. It's more that really good writers always stand out as being much better than the typical novice writer, and they do it right from the start.

For a reader like myself, it isn't a matter of being hooked, but of not being turned off by anything. Good writing sends up some signals suggesting that this author really knows both how to write and how to tell a story, but the real difference is that bad writing sends up all kinds of flags telling me that I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the story much.

I won't tell you how often a writer has "fixed" the opening, and I've read the rest of the story only to discover that the opening was the only thing that got fixed (though you can probably guess how often this has happened by my reputation). I'm honestly okay with that, my purpose is to help the writing get better, I'm not here to get free stories in my inbox (though I don't mind that aspect when it happens).

But I do like to see signs that the writer has the ability to integrate comments to improve the opening at least before I sign on to help with the rest. Because if the author of a story is unable or unwilling to make use of criticism, it's just unnecessary pain for all concerned if I give my feedback.

Also, and this can't be stressed enough, slush-piles are enormous. Editors and their assistants carve through them, usually only looking at the first page before tossing a story and going on to the next. We didn't create that system...except in the sense that every novice writer does by increasing the size and slushiness of the slush-piles that editors must digest in the process of looking for a few outstanding new writers to feature in a publication. We're just doing our best to help each other get past that obstacle.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming into this kinda late, so I hope I'm not being repetitious. I have time to comment, but not time to read thirty posts to be sure I've caught everyone else's comments.

So, here goes.

It's about the toy in the circle. Yeah, I think that it's perhaps not cliche, but trite, too easy a solution to the problem of getting the girl near the circle. I actually like the idea that it's merely her curiosity that takes her there. Especially since she is intelligent and cognisent (sp? Kids stole my dictionary again) enough to decide to risk the danger that her father has just warned her against and return to explore it.

Kids are very curious. Not really stupid. Their minds thirst for knowledge, but they lack the experience to be able to approach the gaining of knowledge with the wisdom that will keep them from getting hurt or killed.

Like my own daughter who thought it might be fun to find out if she could stand on a soccer ball. She found out, the hard way, that a person can get hurt doing things like that. A half-body cast for five weeks. UGH! If I had ever thought to tell her that she shouldn't stand on soccer balls (by the way, add that to your list, fellow parents), the accident probably never would have happened. She at least would have been more cautious.

Also, about your dog--poor thing. I had a border collie. Like healers they're too smart for their own good. Once he's learned how to get out of his run it'll be nearly impossible for you to keep him in--once the leg is healed anyway. The more you do to prevent him escaping, the more brain power he'll use to come up with ever more inventive escape methods. The only thing that worked with my border was a shock wire. One zap was all it took. For a while. He eventually found another place to hop the fence, so more shock wire. But Houdini or not, he was the best dog I ever had. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that if you nip it in the bud hard and fast while he's young you're more likely to prevent (or at least slow) the escalation of his Houdini-ism.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah...there's a reason that parents used to be a lot more okay with beating their kids.

Telling your kid not to stand on soccer balls doesn't work unless you're willing to let them try it and get hurt while they're too small to put themselves in a body cast. I go a bit further, myself. When my various little relatives are figuring out mobility, I make sure they get some practical experience with hostile action "accidents"

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Survivor, she was small--only two, thank goodness, because she wasn't potty trained yet. It's SO much easier to deal with a body cast when you don't have to lug them to the toilet!

Yeah, I know. TMI.

But the idea that they're less likely to get hurt when they're little didn't work out this time. Spiral femur fractures are much easier to get when you're little.

Oh, and I bet your lttle relatives just LOVE their Uncle Survivor!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, they do. It's one of my superpowers, after all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.