Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Desperation (feedback wanted)

Author Topic: Desperation (feedback wanted)
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
Footsteps. Michael trued to make himself fade further back into the shadows. Somewhere down the alley there was a splash as his pursuer stepped into a puddle left by the day’s earlier rain. The rain had been a blessing. The dogs, which had been used to track him, had lost his sent as the sky opened above him. He had run through the back alleys of the city for most of the afternoon, evading capture at times by mere seconds. The rain was a blessing again now as it helped him keep track of where the stranger was. He just needed to control the shivering that was beginning to set in.

The footsteps stopped. Michael tried to breathe as little as possible, fearing that even the sound of a breath from a hundred yards would give him away.

From one of the side alleys there was the crash of a garbage can being dislodged and a door slamming. Quickly the footsteps moved off in that direction. Random events had again saved Michael from discovery. Or was it merely fate toying with him.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Genre, word count, just want comments on these lines, or readers for the whole thing?

I'm reasonably hooked. My only criticism for now (besides the typo in scent) is that you almost immediately go into summarizing the afternoon. You're in a scene where someone is on the verge of discovery and presumably is in great danger -- and you stop to discuss something else? No! Let us have the excitement. When things cool down, then you can tell us about other things, if need be.

Also, I couldn't quite believe that he had evaded escape by mere seconds, when dogs were pursuing him -- they're pretty quick! OTOH if this really did happen, it would make a pretty exciting scene, so maybe you could put it in (if there's an occasion to in the story) rather than summarizing it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just beat on that second sentence?

Well, before I do. You have a good source of tension, possible conflict here. But the execution of the sentences is hurting it.

Here, let's look at that second and third sentence:

quote:
Michael trued to make himself fade further back into the shadows. Somewhere down the alley there was a splash as his pursuer stepped into a puddle left by the day’s earlier rain.

First things first: Don't rely on "tried to" (typo there in that second sentence, by the way); you use this twice in your first thirteen lines. Look for stronger, more active verbs. Second, generally, you don't need to use "himself" in a sentence if you construct it another way. If the sentence starts with Michael, we'll assume that it's about him in some way. Therefore, you can cut out a bit of fluff in that second sentence, if you want.

Consider setting up the scene just a bit in that second sentence. For instance:

"In the shadows of the alley, Michael hid from his pursuer."

You don't have to use this example, but do you see how it sets up the whole paragraph, possibly a good portion of the immediate story? It shows us where, who, and who else, and what is happening -- we know that Michael is being pursued, he's in an alley, what-not. No messin', no fussin', and no "tried to" stuff. Just stating the facts. You can dress it up a bit, if you like; perhaps add something about him being wet and shivering, or that it's raining. But you can save that for the next sentences if you want to do so.

Good luck. This could be interesting. I think you only need tighten up your prose a bit.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This text doesn't make a lot of sense to me, on several levels.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The passive voice is very noticable.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. This was the germ of an idea for a story which I have, currently I only have the opening scene with some genearl I deas about how the character got to here and where it might lead. With the positive feedback I have had I think I will continue to pursue this further. I will keep the site posted. yes I know I have a problem with passive voice in my writing. Any tips, or links to advice on how to combat this would be appreciated.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ely
Member # 2558

- posted      Profile for ely   Email ely         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a great topic on this message board with some links at http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000029.html
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Ely:
I must be a dummy, try as I might, I can't seem to follow the gist of that thread.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.