Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Last Arrow (Fantasy)

Author Topic: The Last Arrow (Fantasy)
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
A novel...
All feedback welcome.

Puthro looked at the darkening sky. The black clouds moving in from the north matched his mood. The day had been wasted, no game to be found anywhere. He had seen a doe and her fawn, but passed on the easy shot. His father’s voice sounded in his head, “The gods forbid killing a mother or her young.” There would be other game. He and Sherra had some food left. True, it wasn’t fresh meat, but it filled the belly just as well. Sherra could make bark taste good if need be and he still had his snares to check in the morning; perhaps they would yield a hare or ground hen. His family would not go hungry.
His stomach twisted. What he thought had been the start of hunger pains now grew into something more. It became an uncomfortable warmth that spread into his head. Something was wrong. He started to run toward home. He kept running as the uneasiness grew and gnawed at his insides. The woods made no sound. The smell of trouble and fear hung in the air. It clung to the inside of his nostrils, closing them off, working it’s way down into his chest, making it hard to breath. Fire seemed to engulf his heart. He stopped and leaned against a tree, trying to sort out his feelings. The Gods had blessed him with the gift of

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey no fair! You cut it off too soon. I want to know what his gift is. It is hard to get a good beigining in 13 lines that's for sure!

I'm not sure what he was blessed with. The section "Warmpth that spread into his head" seems a bit odd to me. To me, warmpth is a good feeling, so wouldn't it be an icy feeling, or try scorching? Why not to his mind, rather than just his head, or maybe it caused an unwelcome blush on his cheek.

I really like the begining, definately makes me want to read more.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Punctuation problems, especially comma splices. (If you don't know what I mean already, see Strunk & White online.)

I'd start with paragraph 2. Since it's a novel, it isn't crucial to get to the hook ASAP, maybe, but I just didn't get much out of paragraph 1 that drew me in. OTOH, if you want to keep paragraph 1, maybe more sensory detail and less explanation.

It's not a bad start, I think.

What do you want? Just comment on the first 13?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
lordnequam
Member # 2716

- posted      Profile for lordnequam   Email lordnequam         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that, at the beginning of the second paragraph, I thought the main character was having diarrhea? Until you said that it was his head that the warmth was spreading too, I was rather confused.

Still, it seems like a good start, though I think that an entire paragraph about them being on the verge of starvation and their options might be a little much. A sentence or two could probably convey the same message in less space.

I agree that you cut it off to early, though, *W* I'd be interested to find out more about what is happening to the main character.

One small point, though. The first time you say "The gods," you do not capitalize it, but the second time, its "The Gods," capitalized.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it!

The only think I can think of is a change to "The woods made no sound", but that's because woods don't make sound. OTOH they can be filled with silence.

I want more.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
...I thought someone had shot him, and he just didn't notice. I thought it was a little weird. But then I realized that I'm just an idiot who reads too much scifi to make valid assumptions about a fantasy piece
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
What comma splices?
Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. A couple of choppy sentences, maybe, but I didn't see any full-hit comma splices either.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited July 13, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, completed story approx 2300+ words looking for readers of course.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! You can email it to me quasipsyco@REMOVECAPSgmail.com
Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to intro the milieu a bit more (that could include Puthro's gift, or not). As it is, you've just left things a bit too vague for a bit too long, and since you've gotten started on some kind of action things are going to stay vague for a while yet.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.