Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled

Author Topic: Untitled
Shawshank
Member # 2729

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, this is the first semi-serious fiction I've written in almost two years, so I'ma bit out of touch. Do me a favor, rip it apart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrew walked out of his family’s store and stepped into the fresh air. He breathed. His mind was already numb, everything gone except for the most important concerns.

He looked around his town again; he’d been doing that a lot lately, looking at his town before he was leaving. He was going to miss the smells of the different homes, every home having a distinct odor, the constant beating of a blacksmith’s anvil, the cacophony of sailors working, and especially the new faces that walked into the store.

He went back inside. Knowing that his parents were busy all day, he took a hatchet off the wall, along with some dried beef and one of the nicest rifles in town and head out to hide them with the rest of his supplies.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine writing. Nothing seems to be happening yet. Maybe you started the story too early?

So do you want full critiques, or just comments on this? How many words, and what's the genre?

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited July 15, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing looks fine. I agree with Will, maybe you started too early. Find the point in your story when things *flip* and that's where you want to start.

but in case you want to still start with this scene, here's a few nits. In case you care ...

Nothing really in the first paragraph.

"He looked around his town again; he’d been ("...again; he was doing...") doing that a lot lately, looking (studying instead of looking and delete "at") at his town before he was leaving (delete "was" and make it "before he left."). He was going to miss the smells of the different homes, every home having a distinct odor (maybe just leave this last part out. It might be too repedative after the above), the constant beating of a blacksmith’s anvil, the cacophony of sailors working, and especially the new faces that walked into the store. (this last part was good)

He went (walked instead of "went") back inside. Knowing that his parents were busy all day, he took a hatchet off the wall, along with some dried beef and one of the nicest rifles in town and head(ed) out to hide them with the rest of his supplies."

Hope this helps....

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited July 15, 2005).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 2729

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot. I think I might have started about a page early, the part I'm about to start writing might serve as a better opening, gets ore into the mind of my MC. And sets up to meet the other most important character.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.