Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Giveaway

Author Topic: The Giveaway
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a brief short story I wrote earlier this year that birthed the idea of a possible novel, but I'm now curious if it has any merit -- at least as far as the first 13 lines are concerned. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, no matter how small. I need to learn. Thanks.

Joanna gathered the things that she didn't intend to wear any more. Jeans, blouses. A new tennis skirt soiled by a slip in the mud. African mud was always hard to get out; something about the iron content of the soil. She'd spent an entire day in Barrowdale trying to find a replacement, but as usual there were none to be had.

She put the clothing into a wicker basket and went to the fence. Esther had already spread word, so there they were, dark faces pressed against wire mesh. Mostly mothers, they called out in their soft, sing-song chatter:

"Masakai, Medem"

"Good dey, Medem,"

"Masakati", she answered in practiced, boarding-school Shona, "Maswera sei?"

"Ndaswera maswerawo." The day is well, they murmured, eyeing the basket.

"Ndaswera."

More women showed up, toting small babies in bright-colored cloths. They

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited August 16, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very quiet opening; there's no real hint of where the story is going. However, it's very atmospheric, and captures that slightly awkward, uncomfortable relationship between people who can afford tennis skirts (which, let's face it, you only have if you go to the club and play tennis...) and people who exist on hand-me-downs.

I'm not sure about the use of Shona; I don't find it a real problem but there are a lot of people who turn off the moment they see a foreign language in a story, particularly if it's one that's outside their normal experience.

Other than that, I think the only nitpick I have is that I'd say "Joanna gathered the things", not "her" things - if she doesn't intend to wear them any more, it's clear they're hers, so I don't think it needs the extra possessive.

How long is the story, and do you want comments on the whole thing?

And how long/when did you live in Zimbabwe?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

Tchernobyelo --

I was last there in 1996.

The story's a mere 567 words, but I'm scared to death to share it. Even this was difficult. *laugh*

And yes, I was worried that the language thing would scare readers away. Should I shorten it, eliminate it, or...?

A good portion of my stories are language heavy, which makes me wonder if they'd even be marketable. But then, most of them were written for myself at the time, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I'll just have to start all over with the things I'm learning here and elsewhere.

Thanks,

Varishta

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
567 words?

I still have one crit outstanding, but I think I can cope with 567 words. If you want to send it to me I'd be happy to comment. But no pressure.

Varishta
Member # 2789

I'll send it, even though it'll kill me because it's fragmentary and not edited. Maybe it's worth fleshing out; I've no idea.

--Varishta

P.S. Have you been to Zim?

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

Yes, twice, but only briefly as a tourist, and only to Vic Falls.

I've also visited Botswana twice, South Africa twice, and Namibia. My step-brother lives in South Africa (has done for years) and my parents visit there just about annually (though this year they're driving round Namibia for a fortnight - not bad for a couple in their 70s/80s!).

Carlene
Member # 2745

- posted      Profile for Carlene   Email Carlene         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening really doesn't hook me. There's a well-off woman getting rid of old clothes that poorer people have gathered to take. I just am not intrigued.

On the use of the Shona language; for me, I only see the use of another language as a turn off if the writer never clues me in as to what the exchanges meant. In this segment, I have a pretty good idea that the exchange is along the lines of 'hello' and 'how are you/ how was your day'. This is only because this is the type of typical social greeting I would expect.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to offer feedback on the rest of the story.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree that opening isn't exciting but I think the story could be interesting. I must be the oddball, I think stories in other cultures and using foreign languages are intriguing - they are often richer than reading about aliens (which I love to read about). I agree that at some point the author needs to "teach" the reader some of what is being said. Of course, I spent a lot of my youth reading about the Vietnam War which meant learning alot of Vietnamese and French in the process of acculturation.

Conversely, I hate fantasy stories where the author creates a language out of thin air by imitating Tolkien or some other author that actually spent time developing grammatical rules.

Please feel free to send me your story.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
jinkx
Member # 2798

- posted      Profile for jinkx   Email jinkx         Edit/Delete Post 
"Jeans, blouses. A new tennis skirt soiled by a slip in the mud."

I'm not sure if the reason why you separated "A new tennis skirt..." from the rest of the list is because you wanted to emphasise that part or because you had some other reason. To me, it kinda seems awkward.

As far as the language goes, I'm not too crazy about the whole idea. It's very toilsome to read and doesn't really contribute to the story -- especially when all they're saying to each other is "Hi, it's a nice day today."
What would probably be better is to explain that they are talking in their native language, without having to change the language that you are writing in, or constantly have to repeat what they are saying in english.

Example:
"Good day, maam," they said in their native tongue.

"Good day to you," she answered in practiced, boarding-school Shona.

You get the idea.

Truthfully, the story so far just isn't interesting. There's nothing that really grabs me and makes me want to continue to read it. Maybe it's just me.

I hope some of my suggestions helped out a little.

[This message has been edited by jinkx (edited August 16, 2005).]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

jinkx -- I think I separated the skirt to emphasize Joanna's economic status. Only wealthy people can afford the leisure of tennis or polo.

I think I'll shorten the language a bit, but I'm really having a hard time of letting it go altogether. Shona is the major language, and it dominates the cultural background. It's like writing about Mexico and no one says "Senor" or "por favor", you know?

That said, I suppose Shona isn't as well known as Spanish and so I should just listen to your advice.

Mech -- Thanks for reading my story. I probably bored you to tears with it, but I'm learning, as I said. I was hoping to "teach" in my theoretical novel, as well -- but now I realise that not that many people would want to learn Zimbabwean languages.

Carlene -- I tried to clue in the reader, but seeing as I know more Shona than most, I may have blind-sided myself. Thanks for looking at the story, though. I'll try harder next time.

Tcher -- Ah, Vic Falls. *sigh* Namibia's great, too. What bit of SA? I've lots of memories of Natal, esp. Durban.

Thanks again for your help.

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited August 16, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the tennis skirt, which is only unusable because of a single mudstain, is an important cue.

I'm somewhat on the fence about the way you use Shona in the dialogue here. Basically, it tells me that Joanna understands Shona...but isn't fluent. She has to think a bit before she knows what "Masakati" means. I think that's what you indicate by saying she speaks in "practiced, boarding-school Shona", so I'm inclined to read it as correct usage of language.

If that is the case, then Shona should probably make only a limited appearence in the story anyway, and you'll be translating as much as Joanna understands. So I don't think that's too burdensome. On the other hand, if there is a fair amount of dialogue that Joanna doesn't understand, then you should only describe it rather than quoting it (i.e. "they began to argue, speaking very quickly, and Joanna only understood a few polite phrases of Shona in any case"). Likewise, if Joanna is fluent in Shona (or nearly so), then you should never reproduce the language at all, everything has to be translated so that it appears to the reader with the same meaning that it holds for Joanna.

There are two reasons for this rule. The obvious one is because it minimizes the degree to which you'll try the reader's patience with long dialogues (to be translated later) in a language the reader doesn't understand at all. The other one is because it breaks POV to quote language that the POV character understands perfectly when the reader does not, while it is unrealistic for the POV to record exactly language that the character doesn't understand.

Anyway, like I said, from what I read in this opening, you don't have a problem here. The other elements of the text seem to work well. You set the scene effectively, introduce the POV character, establish some contrasts that develop the title into a suggested dramatic conflict...you're doing quite well. I'd say it definitely has merit.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
In a novel, I can see having just a word or two regularly used. The hello word -- if it was used now and again throughout the novel -- I think that would give it flavour. Kind of like in Fiddler on the Roof, how they shout "mazzltoff." I don't really know what this word means, but I get the gist that it's a celbratory word, and the play doesn't bombard me with other foriegn terms to trip me up.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how you introduced the setting, and I'm intrigued about this character. If you'd like some more feedback, send me a copy. (I'm on summer vacation, so it should get back to you pretty soon.)

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just use "hello," and translate the rest. It feels like work otherwise.

I'm not hooked by the event, but in a way I am: I want to know why she's leaving (or did I misunderstand that?), and I think there's an implicit promise to explore this cultural and class divide, which I"d like to see.

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read it too.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the use of Shona; I think it adds texture to the scene, and unless the story is going to be very short, it didn't feel like too many lines. While the opening isn't the kind that instantly plunges you into action, it set the scene for me vividly with a nice economy of words. I'd love to read more.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

After reading up on the whole idea of "short story" and how one should be written, I fear this isn't so much of a story as a glimpse of something that could become a story.

I'll send it, but please understand this was written before I understood the form.

Still learning,

Varishta

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.