Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Out of the Darkness

Author Topic: Out of the Darkness
Ze'ev Hurwich
Member # 2853

- posted      Profile for Ze'ev Hurwich   Email Ze'ev Hurwich         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. This is my first post on this website and i would like to make some things very clear. I have read and enjoyed over 12 of Orson Scott Card's books and have enjoyed everyone. I am a new writter and found this forum a great opportunity to get started. The following story is about the twilight of a vast empire of humanity. It is currently only 15 pages on Microsoft Word, but I intend to build onto it. I would love feedback and help. Note this is just the very begining of the story for more e-mail me at zwizkid@earthlink.net. Thankyou

Alexander Bel Riose was late to class, again. He ran down the tediously long corridors looking for his class. His boots making loud squeaking noises that echoed across the university. Alexander was 27 years old and had previously served in the military as commander of a bombing ship. Despite the fact that he was now late to class and running down the hall Lex (as he liked to be called) had a great sense of poise and grace in a room. This came from a strict noble upbringing, (his father a senator for the galactic republic, and mother on the council of planetary affairs). Lex had sharp piercing eyes that would bore into your soul, analyzing and summing you up. He had a certain fire about his countenance. Everything was purposeful and controlled, from his dark oily locks to his most intricate schemes.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited September 04, 2005).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What I like: the technical details of the writing; the clarity (I completely understand what's happening, and that's not as common as it should be!); using 3rd person.

What I didn't: I don't have a reason to care yet about the story. Someone's late for class. What makes it special? Tell us up front -- or take us to the part that IS special.

Some other suggestions.

You've picked omniscient POV. (If you don't know what I mean, get a copy of Characters & Viewpoint by Card. Even if you do, get a copy -- it's the best writing book I've ever read!) Omniscient viewpoint is no sin, but most people think you should only do it if there's a good reason. You might try instead going inside Lex's head -- see things thoroughly from his POV.

>Despite the fact that he was now late to class and running down the hall Lex (as he liked to be called) had a great sense of poise and grace in a room. ... His skin was a smooth creamy shade of gold, revealing his Latino origins from Earth.

Whatever's happening, let's stay with it -- no need to interrupt to explain Lex's background. What you have here is a break in the story to give us an information dump. You can probably give us this information as it becomes relevant.

Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Ze'ev, I think you have the innate ability to write and with a little knowledge and tweaking this story could be a good one. Let me just point out a few things to you within your text.

Alexander Bel Riose was late to class, again. He ran down the tediously long corridors looking for his class. His boots making loud squeaking noises that echoed across the university. @@@The previous sentence would work better combined with the one before that, like so: He ran down the tediously long corridors looking for his class, his boots squeaking loudly.@@@Alexander was 27 years old and had previously served in the military as commander of a bombing ship. Despite the fact that he was now late to class and running down the hall Lex (as he liked to be called) had a great sense of poise and grace in a room. @@@These comments such as his poise etc., should be shown in an actual encounter in a room, instead of related to the reader in a large exposition of description. The same can be said with most of the other description in this passage. @@@This came from a strict noble upbringing, (his father a senator for the galactic republic, and mother on the council of planetary affairs). Lex had sharp piercing eyes that would bore into your soul, analyzing and summing you up. He had a certain fire about his countenance. Everything was purposeful and controlled, from his dark oily locks to his most intricate schemes. His skin was a smooth creamy shade of gold, revealing his Latino origins from Earth. When he reached the door he skidded to a halt straitened up his clothes and walked in with what seemed to be submissive poise. This however did not go over to well with Dr. Halberdman, a strict teacher who cared more about punctuality than intelligence.@@@Show these two interacting, then bring in some of the description with it, but only a little at a time. Large passages of description drag a story down. Let us see Lex through someone else's eyes, or through his actions. I agree with the pov choice--that it should be limited to one character per scene, and don't get into the heads of everyone in the scene (omniscient). Good beginning though@@@

Shane

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited September 04, 2005).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thantos2000
Member # 2795

- posted      Profile for Thantos2000   Email Thantos2000         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to agree with the others. This is telling us in great detail what's going on but it dosen't tell us why we should care.

One thing that bothered me is why is a former commander going to school. Don't commanders have to have some type of schooling before becomming a commander?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having great difficulty reconciling Lex's background and age with the idea that he's scared of being late for class. It just doesn't gel for me at all. He's an adult with experience of command in the military, but he's afraid his teacher will tell him off for being late? I think you might need to work harder at getting into the mindset of the character you've created, or providing solid reasons why an officer is so intimidated by a professor.

Bel Riose reminded me of, erm, General Bel Riose in Asimov's Foundation series. Probably just a coincidence, but you might want to tweak the name so it's less similar.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ze'ev Hurwich
Member # 2853

- posted      Profile for Ze'ev Hurwich   Email Ze'ev Hurwich         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand the criticism. This opening paragraph is actually a recent addition to give people a basic understanding of who the hero is, and to get people to empathize with him. Thank you for replying.
Zev

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am wearing my moderator hat at the moment. Your post is longer than the allowed 13 lines, which is measured by manuscript formatting, not by what it looks like on the site. I will edit your length for you. I know you are new to the site, please don't be upset, the rule applies to everyone the same.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited September 04, 2005).]

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.