Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 'Helen' - critiques requested

Author Topic: 'Helen' - critiques requested
squimi
Member # 2810

- posted      Profile for squimi   Email squimi         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short fantasy story (1,400 words). I'd appreciate comments on the opening, but also anyone willing to critique the whole thing.

'Helen'.

At first I just accepted it, as all children accept the story of how they came to be.

But as I grew - eleven, twelve - I began to think, what had it been like for her? For my mother?

Terrifying, I thought at first. Alone, then the rush of wings, the hard pinch of the beak, the huge webbed feet. Then afterwards, discarded on the lake-shore, putting her clothes back together with hands that shook. And returning to the palace to tell her story.

But now, I wonder. All my life, those times when she's unfocused, absent - when her hands fall still in the middle of a task and if I speak to her she does not hear. Is she remembering? Or is she listening?Listening for the sound of the great wings coming back?

[This message has been edited by squimi (edited October 10, 2005).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to read the whole thing. I'm interested in Greek mythology, so I was intrigued by this opening and wanted to keep reading.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squimi
Member # 2810

Thanks!
Emails coming...
squimi
x

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very compelling opening, everything draws me in.

I'll nit the pronoun reference in the first line, because it does throw me off a bit. Same with "eleven, twelve" the terse delivery is good, but it didn't cover the break for me.

But definitely an opening that makes me want to read on. I'll even crit for it

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squimi
Member # 2810

Great, thank you! Expect an email any minute now.
squimi
x

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I liked that opening. Taking myth as reality, and exploring character's reactions to such events, can be done very interestingly.

Given the length, I'll read; should be able to get a crit back to you by the weekend.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very good opening, and I'm a sucker for anything dealing with Greek mythology. I'll crit if you need more readers. Email's in the profile.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squimi
Member # 2810

And more emails coming...
Thanks a lot!
squimi
x

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.