Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Zeta Reticuli Re-Re-Written ( No excrement accussing!)

Author Topic: Zeta Reticuli Re-Re-Written ( No excrement accussing!)
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
“AHHH!!!” Anstor screamed, throwing the papers about. “I have had enough of this! This is truly enough!” After proofreading for what seemed an entire day, Anstor had finally had it. The files seemed to be hanging in the air for a few moments until their slow descent to the ground approached its end. They fell to ground, and Anstor heatedly, looked at the files, anger burning inside of him. I am too important for this, how could they use me for this?
He looked back at them, and realized they needed him. None else could do this work that Anstor had been entrusted to do. He was a midlevel worker, recently reappointed due to the new classification of the CIA.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a hook in this one (a mild one): that MC thinks he's too important for his job. (If this isn't the issue, I think you should start with the issue.)

If it is . . . you've got Anstor giving an emotional reaction that's way over what most readers would give, at least based on the experience so far (which is nothing, since you just started the story). OSC advises you don't have your MC feel something unwarranted -- it distances us from MC, which is the last thing you'd probably want!

Also, give us WHAT the emotional response is about BEFORE we see it, so we're not in effect staring at MC and wondering what he's upset about (because the explanation comes later).

I think it's dangerous to start with someone being frustrated with reading -- readers are suggestible, and you may get them to feel the same way and put down the book! But you may get by with it.

What's the story about? I know that would be telling, but since you're doing multiple rewrites, it would help me as a critiquer to know.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rwamz13
Member # 2941

- posted      Profile for rwamz13           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a great improvement over your original post.

I don't think describing how the files hung in the air adds much when it comes to hooking me.

I also don't understand why a recently promoted mid-level worker thinks the CIA is wasting his time having him do something that only he can do. Maybe this could be clearer.

Just my cents--from a beginner at that.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely an improvement, but to a substantial degree I see all the same problems with it as before. Repetition in the narration. Diving inside Anstor's head only to distance from his POV again.

I normally don't take such liberties with other people's work, but maybe an alternate opening will help you see where I'm coming from.

The system was breaking apart. How else could Anstor explain being whisked past two security fences, badge checks, and what should have been over a year of clearance paperwork--only to have the CIA hand him another pile of paperwork? For proofreading. The words blurred before his tired eyes as the steady thrum of rain against the window seemed to tick the time. He shoved a stack of folders off his desk in disgust.

No, this was one assignment he had to see to completion. Ignoring his groaning knees, he lowered himself to the floor to collect the files.

Notice that the theme of the intro is in the first sentence--something has caused the CIA to break its normal protocol. Our interest is enhanced when we learn that the assignment seems unimportant. Why all the trouble? Yet, we realize by the second paragraph, Anstor also realizes what he's doing is necessary (he just doesn't agree that he should have to be the one to do it). All these things I gleaned from your openings, but notice how we never leave Anstor's POV. Everything we learn about the situation, it is reasonable for him to be thinking about at the time. We don't hear a narrator tell us, we hear Anstor. And instead of first seeing a reaction to the situation from a character we know nothing about, we learn why the situation is so frustrating. When Anstor reacts, we are right with him.

Is this your first novel? I think my style qualms are common for beginners. I know, looking back at my older stuff, it had a lot of the same problems! My advice? Just keep writing. Get the whole thing down. And keep reading! As much as you can by authors whose style you enjoy. I'll bet that by the time you get half way through this piece you'll be looking back at your beginning stuff with new eyes. (But, if your anything like me, you shouldn't bog yourself down with rewrites until the whole thing is down. I make that mistake all the time, and it causes me to become frustrated and lose interest in the story.)

Anyway, hope I've helped.

[This message has been edited by apeiron (edited November 03, 2005).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Hmmm, all very good ideas, however I am keeping the opening. I will have to use those changes with the badges, fences and stuff, very good.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no--I think you misunderstand. Those weren't specific ideas. Don't look at what I wrote, but the way I wrote it. I was trying to show
-set up of the situation before character reaction
-cutting out repetitive description
-integrating info dumps with the immediate situation
-character development through context clues

The thing about the badges, etc. (or any of the other details) wasn't a suggestion--the REASON I threw that stuff in was to SHOW rather than TELL that the CIA had gone through a lot of trouble to get Anstor access to those files. Which makes us curious about what's so important that they would go to the trouble. Because we actually KNOW what the trouble is.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

OHHHHHH, I see.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.