Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untiltled

Author Topic: Untiltled
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

- posted      Profile for Jonny Woopants   Email Jonny Woopants         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13. Length undetermined. This is a piece I wrote ages ago about an idea I had involving virtual/digital drugs. I decided it would be better suited to a 1st person perspective; a kind of near future detective tale and am currently rewriting it. Any comments are welcome regarding the hook/style etc.

The drugs may have been virtual, but the side effects were sure enough real. I shouldered my way past and couple of forensic technicians in the hallway and observed the body sprawled on the kitchen floor. Belly down on blood-splattered tiles, the man appeared to have been placed in the recovery position, save for his right arm which was crumpled awkwardly beneath his fallen bulk and the fact his head was missing, which kind of made the position redundant.
‘At least he picked a nice day to die,’ I said, wiping the sweat from my brow.
It was midsummer and golden bars of dust-speckled sunlight cut diagonally across the kitchen from the window. Birdsong filtered through the glass, loud and merry, along with the sound of kids

[This message has been edited by Jonny Woopants (edited December 28, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Jonny Woopants (edited December 28, 2005).]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13 is 1" margins 12 pt Courier. Should end at "...sound of kids"
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

- posted      Profile for Jonny Woopants   Email Jonny Woopants         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Always forget to set up the margins and font as a default. Consider my wrist slapped.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bad. My biggest issue is that you talk about the drugs at the beginning, and then that's it. You go on to talk about the dead guy, who's death I am assuming was a result of the drugs, (whether he took them or not)but I think we should get to know that for sure. Give us a bit of background info on the guys death, however small it may be.

Other than that, it's written quite well.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the MC?

Why can he shove past Forensic Technicians at a crime scene?

You have plenty of opportunities to show this, but don't. Please do, early. A name is a good thing.

The first sentece is a decent start but 'The drugs' need to be specifically named and clarified in the second half of that sentence. "Drugs" is too generic and since you said virtual, we need an incredibly brief statement about that to make it all natural for us.

Something like

The drugs may have been virtual but the side effects of the Vee-H were real enough.

If by virtual drugs you mean that the guy was in a VR world and took the drugs there, blowing up his real head, say something to clarify, where is the jack or vidset?

Why is the MC stopping to notice kids and pretty light when there is a dead body to be paying attention to?

If the kids outside are not integral to the story or if we don't need to see the MC as a sentimental bleeding heart fool, skip it. Nice imagry but it doesnt fit here.

Wiping the sweat from his brow? With what? if he is investigating a crime scene he isn't doing it with his own hands or any other body part that might contact evidence.

what is recovery position?

I don't think 'redundant' is the word you were looking for.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DotcomRefugee
Member # 3088

- posted      Profile for DotcomRefugee   Email DotcomRefugee         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolute first impressions right off the cuff:

Reading the little intro you provided before the first 13, I felt like I was cheating a little bit, getting some of the story details in advance that your real reader would never have. I'm new here, so I'm not up on all the "first 13" etiquette, but I'm inclined to believe the first 13 lines should be able to stand on their own, without any kind of introduction or "bringing up to speed."

If I need to know about virtual drugs, or anything else, to appreciate the first 13, then why isn't that info included in the story itself? I'd much rather greet your first 13 right off the bat, no intro or comments at all - just as I would if I picked up your story for the first time as a finished book at my bedside. Even if I don't know what these "virtual drugs" are, I'll assume I'd find out upon further reading. The only time that's really a problem is when there are so many new terms thrown into the beginning that it's a tangled mess - doesn't sound like that in this case at all.

Otherwise... let's see. I felt kinda dumb for not knowing what the "recovery position" is. If it's a technical term the viewpoint character would know but the layman wouldn't, it needs a bit of 'splainin for us common folk, or just some rewording to avoid the technical term altogether.

Noticing the nice day outside threw me off as well. Is this kind of situation so mundane to the viewpoint character that he wishes he were somwehere else? If not, I doubt he'd really be stopping to smell the roses, as it were, at this point. Even if this is what you intended, the juxtaposition of the serious crime scene with loud and merry birdsong is so jarring as to be almost comic - I don't think that's what you're after.

The opening sentence sounded intriguing, and made me curious to learn more about what happened. This is a good way to start. If you eliminate the "nice day" stuff, maybe cut out some extra wording and ornamentation ("crumpled awkwardly" for example, where "crumpled" would suffice), you'd clear enough room in your first 13 for even more compelling narrative.

I'd like to see the rewrite!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the drug ref; only prob with murder scene is I don't know what it has to do with the drugs.

Don't like the birds and kids stuff. You were telling us about something interesting, then changed the subject. I want to get back to the murder scene.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto: Mr Briggs.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.