Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Questions about intro

Author Topic: Questions about intro
sxotty
Member # 3133

- posted      Profile for sxotty   Email sxotty         Edit/Delete Post 
MC trudged onwards into the gloom. Plants clustered together cutting off any egress to the sides. Of course it appeared to MC that there was no way forward either, but if Cadoc’s broad shoulders could pass then Gathwyn figured he could manage it with his wiry frame. The others in the party were close behind judging by their muffled complaints drifting through the fog. One couldn’t blame them for being disgruntled, not many people he knew enjoyed floundering through calf deep mud while carrying a heavy pack. When a person’s life is imperiled, comforts can be discarded. On top of that their intrepid leader was an obtuse wanderer who had not spent enough time in society to learn to converse properly.

That is the intro at the moment, the first problem I see is that I used the word egress. The second problem is that the final sentence is kind of strange. The reason I am posting, is that I am confused about how to get things started.

In the past Cadoc did something that hurt MC's feelings. I originally had a flashback that was 4500 words long detailing the incident. Then there is a flashback telling why exactly they are running. It is obviously to many flashbacks. I gave up on the intro and forged ahead with the story and now have around 60000 words into it, but I must fix the begining at some point and needed some advice. I am afraid of starting out with an incident that is years ahead where a little kid feels a fool b/c it seems it would not interest the reader, and I would then need to skip forward to a week before the present roughly... I did read two threads on flashbacks, but they were not terribly specific. I suppose that people are reticent to spill their whole story, or perhaps no one will read it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the cool thing about your story, that will make people want to read it? And what's the bare bones of the story line?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Start the story where the plot begins.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound like you are having the same problem that I had with my first novel, which I am still working on and about half way finished.

I have a MC character that has a lot of history. I know that all characters have history, but I felt that at somepoint, to have the audience get a feel for how my character thinks, feels about certain issues, what is important to him, I had to include a fairly large flashback - - 5600 words to be exact.

I was worried about this flashback. I thought it would have to be moved to the first chapter but I was told not to worry about it as the flashback was an action packed scene that moved the story along.

So, I started the story in the present moment with dialog between the MC and another primary character who gets a good bit of play, especially in the first chapter, the fifth and the last. The rest of the way he just gets mentioned quite a bit. The first paragraph gets you somewhat aquainted with the MC and another primary character and asking why did the MC perform a certain curious action.

You may want to consider an opening dialog scene similar to that - - I usually find those easier to write and serves as a good starting point. It enables me to get the ball rolling and establish the scene and setting really fast. Although, what helps me out is that since it is historical fiction, the mention of two other primary characters really helps set the scene in regards to locale, customs and history.

Another technique I like is a panoramic view of the initial action or the final scene and then, in the case of the former, working forward and establishing the story or, in the case of the latter, working backward and then using - - depending on how far back you go - - the end of the chapter or the end of the book to bring it all full circle.

I am also currently writing a non-fiction work and start with a cinematic view of the first crime scene and working backwards looking at the forensic clues and forensically establishing what happened. The first chapter then ends with taking the reader back to the crime scene and thus setting up the second chapter and the second murder. In a way, it gives the reader a bit of forensic knowledge in which to apply to the subsequent crime scenes. Each chapter works basically the same way in regards to giving the reader a bit more knowledge and treating the final crime scene as a test.

I also have another novel I am working on that I just revamped and added a prologue where the hero is dying and the whole book is one BIG flashback told through the images of his life flashing before his dying eyes. In the end, the final chapter ends with him falling in battle mortally wounded.

I hope this helps, if not well then think back to some of your favorite and not so favorite books and dissect how they start the story. There are also books that can help you with the various stages of writing. And there is the wealth of experience here to consult.

Peace,
Scott

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sxotty
Member # 3133

The bare bones story is:
Fantasy setting, villagers pushed out of their homes, they don't know why. The particular village has a history that makes them much more adept at surviving, and they stimy a small part of a greater effort by a political faction to start a war. The politcal faction is trying to induce a war between two others, but the villagers, and reader do not know this for awhile. There is no magic at the begining, and that is the part where the MC gets hurt. He is trying to steal something from Cadoc, and Cadoc catches him. So he trades him a "magic" item with instructions not to show anyone. Of course the MC cannot resist and it gets stolen by his friend/bully then the parents get invovled. It is not magic it is just inanimate and they make him return it to Cadoc and get the thing he traded for it back. When he does Cadoc laughs uproriously.

That explains his distaste for the man, and is imperative to show why he does something foolish and does not heed Cadoc's advice later. The other flashback is just a few days in advance, basically the villagers are warned by a bard or something that they need to flee. They know back trails etc go check on what is going on and run away under hot pursuit by the "bad" guys, not all of whom are exactly bad, just soldiers doing what they are told. Anyway the trudging at the begining is two days after they flee from the village, but it takes until the end of chapter 3 to catch back up to that point.

The cool thing is that it is exciting and adventurous. As always the small nobody changes the world by being at the confluence of events, but it will be unusual how it occurs.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sxotty
Member # 3133

Zodiaxe, thanks btw.

Is it ok to start the story with someone besides the main character? For example the leader of the band that is pillaging the villages in that area? Then I could get rid of the second out of place flashback and move the first flashback to the third chapter when the MC is thinking about how he dislikes Cadoc.

Sometimes I get so frustrated I just want to pour out my story and these little details get in the way of the flow, I always wonder if I should just finish the entire thing first, but then one cannot make it flow as easily b/c it may feel kind of cut up.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So how do Cadoc and MC relate to the village? I didn't get that.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
If you start the story with someone other than the MC, you are writing a prologue, The MC should be the MC in chapter 1 most of the time.

As always there are exceptions.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sxotty
Member # 3133

New 13 line
Blood pooled around T’s feet. It had formed rivulets in the dirt as it ran from Name’s body. Her boots were covered in congealed blood, but she stood still. T’s voice shook with fury as she berated her company.
“I will not stand for it! Our mission is to wipe these villages from the face of the earth, not to rape the women and children. He was not fit to serve the Tower. He was not fit to die for the Master, he was only fit to bleed like a stuck pig. I hope the next time one of you has trouble keeping your dick in your pants you remember how he died.”
Her subordinates shuffled uneasily, but they refused to look her in the eye. Death was hardly unusual, but when it was dealt by a commander it festered.

Ok, how Cadoc relates to the village is somewhat of a mystery at the begining, he is a trapper/wanderer later it comes to light that he was engaged in a cause with the parents of the villagers in the past. MC is the son of a villager who was head of a small unit with Cadoc in it, but is not mild mannered as are all the villagers belying their true history.

The new part is much better and starting from there is nicer. So it is a prologue now? That sounds great, but if so would a reviewer read that first? The MC is not the MC until he grows into the role if that makes sense.

Talisker
Member # 3129

- posted      Profile for Talisker   Email Talisker         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really need the flashback? Your readers don't have to know everything about a character and his motivation. Some of the fun for me is discovering things about the character as I read.

If you need some specific exposition - really need it - you can have a secondary character ask another secondary character why these main characters seem so angry at each other. Then a brief answer that hints at the story but that doesn't wallow in it.

If you have to use a flashback, don't use it just to explain a character. It's got to be absolutely essential to the story.

Have you ever seen the miniseries "Lonesome Dove"? The characters in that miniseries have a rich history with each other, but we never see flashbacks. Watch it and pay attention to how we know so much about the history of these characters through just a little bit of dialogue.

I think the information you give out in a flashback can be given out much more effectively as dialogue or action.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisker
Member # 3129

- posted      Profile for Talisker   Email Talisker         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a much more exciting opening.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

Sxotty,

I don't see why not. I was going to start Delicate Balance, the novel opening with the dialog between the main character and one of the principle characters, with a prologue in which Caiphas the infamous Chief Priest of Herrod's Temple was going wax on about how important it is for him to keep the people in line as it is he that actually controls the people of Judea and not Pilate. It was going to end with Caiphas ominiously prefiguring Malcom X's quote, "By any means necessary."

Instead, I decided to start with a dialog between Pilate and the commander of his body guards, General Maximillius Macedonius Equis Locus.

I could have successfully started with Caiphas' intro but I decided that would be a little to much drama right up front and I wanted to place the audience a little on edge with the mentioning of Pilate's name, right up front, along with death warrants. For a brief second it makes the reader think... Pilate...death warrants...Jesus? No, wait, it can't be, Maximillius places a stack of death warrants down.... Good heavens a stack!... Why is Maximillius secretely taking one warrant out of the pile...What's going on...? Then it hits...Caiphas arrives to see Pilate and they have a heated exchange...Then Maximillius comes back in with the secreted warrant....

If I started with Caiphas, then I automatically make Caiphas the bad guy. If I start with Pilate a person can be led to think, "Ahhhhh, nasty old Pilate here to enforce Roman rule with wood and nails. With the introduction of Caiphas and then placing the two at odds, then people will wonder, who is the bad guy. It confuses the matter more when Maximillius, the hero, agrees with Caiphas. And with that I've said tooooo much.

It depends on scene you want to set. Showing your bad guy pillaging, raping, killing, littering, disobeying stop signs etc.. will certainly set the story for a hero to arrive and set things straight, but If you want to keep the readers guessing for a while have the two heroes at odds and then slowly work in the real nasty guy.

Its kinda like the WWE when Vince McMahon forces two face (good guy) tag team partners to fight it out in some match and then somewhere along the line, between there and the ppv, some heel (bad guy) gets thrown into the action forcing one of the good guys to make a choice.

Peace,
Scott

[This message has been edited by Zodiaxe (edited January 11, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Zodiaxe (edited January 11, 2006).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

Sxotty,

Writer's are like fingerprints, everyone is different, no matter how like their favorite writer they may try to be.

quote:
Sometimes I get so frustrated I just want to pour out my story and these little details get in the way of the flow, I always wonder if I should just finish the entire thing first, but then one cannot make it flow as easily b/c it may feel kind of cut up.

That's good... hold on to those little details and spread them out through the story like seasoning in food. You don't want to overpower the dish with anyone particular seasoning. So, hold back on some details.

As I said, writers are like fingerprints, no two are exactly the same. The way I write is different from others. I view my stories like a movie playing out in my head. I place myself in the scene and actually act out each part so that I can get the feeling down on paper. Sometimes, I will write my story in parts. In Delicate BalanceThe ending was one of the first parts written. I wrote chapter three, the flashback, before chapter two. A part of chapter seven was written while writing chapter one. A part that will probably be chapter nine or ten was written while writing chapter three. I still have a part that I wrote..phhhttt... I don't know when, that still needs to be fitted into the story. With all of these parts written, I place them in the story where they will logically occur to add spice to the story and I fill in the parts leading up to them.

Peace,
Scott

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.