Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Novella Rewrite

Author Topic: Novella Rewrite
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've chosen a new place to start this story, but need a few comments. Let me know what you think.

REVISED TODAY (Old Version Below)

The phenomenon occurred on March 14th, 1944; my final day in Roanne. It so happened that as a result of my lonesome condition, I had developed a level of closeness with those peaceful urban acres. For that reason, I awoke that morning at three--an hour before the Company was scheduled to assemble--so I might pass my valedictions to that charming town that had found its place among my affections. Since the brighter times of day were inclined to congested avenues and blaring noises, my intimacy with Roanne could only occur in those earlier hours before the sun had peeked on the horizon. So I took to the streets when gloominess reigned, even though it meant visual impairment--given that was a trivial price to yield serenity.

*** Old Version

My last day in Roanne was near the end of March, 1944. While the date regrettably escapes me, when considering the years between then and now, I marvel at my capacity to approximate the month’s progress. I awoke that morning at three--an hour before the Company was scheduled to assemble--so I might pass my valedictions to that charming town that had found its place among my affections. The brighter times of day were inclined to congested avenues and blaring noises; so my intimacy with Roanne could only be when the light was scarcely peeking from the distant eastern fields. Therefore I took to the barren streets when gloominess reigned, and paid the toll of impaired vision--given that it was a trivial price to yield a serene ambiance.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited April 02, 2006).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarity.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Right away we need to know how many years between then and now we are dealing with.

The timing seems off to me. In the first sentence we are dealing with the last day in this place, and in the next we are talking about the entire month's build up -- to what? because the next sentence we go right back to the last day, or so I assume.

I agree with Survivor, this piece needs some clarity before I'd read on.

Chrissie

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
When I say "recall the month's progress", I'm referring to "late March". What if I said "approximate the month's progress" or "approximate the time of month".
Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor nailed it down. CLARITY. As it is the story is in the way of itself. When it becomes a real effort to "decipher" what is written the story is lost and the reader will move on.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't use the word month's to describe one specific day.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the best thing to do is consider cutting that second sentence, because it doesn't seem to add much in my opinion, save for some self-congratulatory marvelling.

Also, consider giving the reader some hint or tidbit why this day is so important. I don't feel that you'll need to spell it out in its entirety, but I personally need a little small something to hook me. Since the story is clearly being told after the fact, this affords the narrator a lot freedom in developing the reason why the narrator is telling the story in the first place... immediately.

And every bit as important, consider developing who the narrator is, why he or she is in Roanne (is "Company" a military thing?), and what have you. If you're able to develop the narrator's name, or gender, or social status, or all of these things right away, even better. We like to know who we are reading about.

For instance, if one is writing a military story, it could start something like:

---My name is John Dieter, but thirty years ago the soliders in my unit called me "Squirrel." ---

Good luck with your story.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 01, 2006).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 

If he knows the month and year – it’s not the date that escapes him, but the EXACT date – at least, that’s what I felt as I was reading.

, I marvel at my capacity to approximate the month’s progress. – I read this several times and still made no real sense out of it. You are using too many complex words, for one thing – marvel, capacity, approximate, progress. I have no idea, just reading along what you mean. Now, if I stop and think maybe I could figure it out, but I don’t want to do that. That’s your job. Make it clear.

I’d really like something to catch my attention, to raise my interest here. Why should I read this? I see no new insights to the human condition or to the day in this town. Nothing here arouses my curiosity. So he (he, who?) was there in some probably European country during WWII. Big deal…so far.

I think you could put something interesting before this and manage to hold onto me through this detail stuff.

Hmmm…something. The waking at 3 and the intimacy seem to need to be together.

My intimacy with Roanne could only be when the light was scarcely peeking from the distant eastern fields, so I awoke that morning at three – an hour before the Company was scheduled to assemble.

AN isolate bit, but put together seems to be leading onward to something. It raises the question of why only at dawn. In fact, the above might be a workable starting place. You would have to clear up that Roanne was a city(?) not a woman.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

Thanks all for your input. I put a revised copy at the top along with the old version. Here's what it became as a result of what you said.

The phenomenon occurred on March 14th, 1944; my final day in Roanne. It so happened that as a result of my lonesome condition, I had developed a level of closeness with those peaceful urban acres. For that reason, I awoke that morning at three--an hour before the Company was scheduled to assemble--so I might pass my valedictions to that charming town that had found its place among my affections. Since the brighter times of day were inclined to congested avenues and blaring noises, my intimacy with Roanne could only occur in those earlier hours before the sun had peeked on the horizon. So I took to the streets when gloominess reigned, even though it meant visual impairment--given that was a trivial price to yield serenity.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited April 02, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

A substantial improvement. While the exact day isn't strictly necessary, it is probable that the dates his unit entered and left Roanne would be a matter of historical fact, so that seems more plausible. Also, he had special occasion to remember it exactly (though not everyone would, I'm terrible with dates myself). More important, we now have a definite motive for the narration, which makes understanding it easier.

Not everyone will automatically assume a Mediterranean setting, I'm not really sure that it should be assumed, but the information seems to suggest it. You can work on establishing that better, a single judicious adjective applied to the town would accomplish it. One thing I note, you say "distant east". I'm going to assume this means that this is on the eastern coast of some country or other, in which case it seems a shame that you don't specifically mention the sea. If I'm wrong, then we'll need a bit more information as to what you mean. Basically, don't force your readers to Google things.

The part after your first couple of lines begins to succumb to the obscurantist tendancies that made the first effort unintelligible. You use a few terms in somewhat unconventional ways, strain your vocabulary, and generally make it seem as if you're speaking a couple of notches above your native diction. It's okay to use words you'd feel comfortable speaking to a peer, but think carefully before getting over"literary".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

The sun rises in the east. The light peeking from the east is the sun coming up. The town is actually in France, not Italy. Do I need to make that clear right off? The ensuing paragraphs will have a lot of description, as well as a further insight to the characters lonliness.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited April 01, 2006).]

FastCat
Member # 3281

- posted      Profile for FastCat           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't follow the previous versions but this last rewrite saved it for me. I like how the narrator had a clear and distinct voice.

My only complaint was the ten dollar words. It did seem to be stretching the narrator's vocabulary, and felt jarring when I read it.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skynyrd
Member # 2875

- posted      Profile for Skynyrd   Email Skynyrd         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of Valedictions, why don't you say farewells, or adieus?
Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I know that the town is a pretty little town in France, with mountains rather than a sea to the east. But I could have no conception of that from your text thus far. I'm pointing out that you create an active misperception in the opening of the story.

You don't have to tell the reader everything, but you must take responsibility for misleading the reader in any way. Not that you can't do so, but you can't dodge out with "I didn't mean to imply..." because the entire point of creating a text is that it speaks without your continued presence.

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
The new version clarifies who Roanne is for me... I thought it was a person in the old version. My first reaction to the new version is "what phenomenon?" I read that, then immediately skipped to the old version.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a WWII history buff, and *I* had to look up Roanne. I seriously thought you might have mis-typed Rouen.

And since the U.S. 5th Army began a major attack on Cassino - in Italy - on March 15, 1944 (I knew the date sounded familiar), it would behoove you to make the point that Roanne is in France, even if your story has nothing to do with that battle.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too flowery for me. I mean the last version is clearer, I atleast understand it but I too felt like you were getting to caught up in the use of your terms. I might bring it down and think about exactly what I want to say and write it like I talk. From the words themselves, I took the MC as a female, but then I decided it might be male based on the references to the date and the setting.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I suppose that I should mention that most readers are going to think that the narrator is from an English speaking nation, probably American. It may not be a particularly fair assumption, but it will be ingrained for most English language readers given the nature of WWII stories written in English.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.